Best car you have ever owned.

Talk about anything here.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Best car you have ever owned.

Post by swampgator »

I'll be shopping for at least one car and possibly two when I get back. I'm not going to buy new. I was thinking of getting a nice sedan (Honda, Toyota, or Ford) for the wife and just getting an old beater type truck for me.
Thedictator
Legend

Re: Best car you have ever owned.

Post by Thedictator »

I had a Lexus in 07, kinda miss it put 200k miles on it with basically no problems
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

I have a 2006 Mustang that has 245k miles on it. From the outside, you'd never guess it had that many miles, but the ride is a little rattly at this point. I don't mind it so much; I'm accustomed to driving cars until they die. Plus I have a ~90 mile round-trip commute. I will be sad when this car goes though. I've grown attached.

Not sure if that's what you meant by "best" but this has probably been my favorite car.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
TheStig
All-Star

Post by TheStig »

Pretty much every BMW I've ever owned. Each one seemed to get better than the last. As far as beaters, I had a 280zx back in the day and a civic that you could beat the shit out of and they just kept going.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

americaninfidel wrote:I have a 2006 Mustang that has 245k miles on it. From the outside, you'd never guess it had that many miles, but the ride is a little rattly at this point. I don't mind it so much; I'm accustomed to driving cars until they die. Plus I have a ~90 mile round-trip commute. I will be sad when this car goes though. I've grown attached.

Not sure if that's what you meant by "best" but this has probably been my favorite car.
Sounds like you have the same idea as my pops. His logic is to drive a car for ten years or until it breaks. He had a 1999 Mustang that lasted for nearly 10 years with a near 75 mile commute every work day. He gave it to his mechanic in 2008. The guy fixed it up and used it as a daily driver.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

TheStig wrote:Pretty much every BMW I've ever owned. Each one seemed to get better than the last. As far as beaters, I had a 280zx back in the day and a civic that you could beat the shit out of and they just kept going.
Interesting. I have been looking for an 82 280zx (parents had one for years) or an 86 300zx on Craigslist and AutoTrader just to see what is out there.
TheStig
All-Star

Post by TheStig »

swampgator wrote:
TheStig wrote:Pretty much every BMW I've ever owned. Each one seemed to get better than the last. As far as beaters, I had a 280zx back in the day and a civic that you could beat the shit out of and they just kept going.
Interesting. I have been looking for an 82 280zx (parents had one for years) or an 86 300zx on Craigslist and AutoTrader just to see what is out there.
Mine was a 83 5 speed manual. I had it in high school and the car was practically indestructible. I don't think I even changed the oil in that car. Only downside you'll find with them is if they start to rust, it goes fast.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

TheStig wrote:
swampgator wrote:
Mine was a 83 5 speed manual. I had it in high school and the car was practically indestructible. I don't think I even changed the oil in that car. Only downside you'll find with them is if they start to rust, it goes fast.
Come to think about it, ours was an 83 like this one. It lasted until the early 90s if I remember correctly. I don't think it had rust problems; it just died. I think they bought an Altima to replace it.

I'd like to have an 86 300zx as a toy.

swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

Madnessssss wrote:400 HP. Got me tons of puss.

Nice. When did you have a vette?
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

Madnessssss wrote:
swampgator wrote:
Madnessssss wrote:400 HP. Got me tons of puss.

Nice. When did you have a vette?
i owned that around 2006-2008

What made you decide to go from that to a G37 and then to an Elantra?
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

Madnessssss wrote:
swampgator wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: i owned that around 2006-2008

What made you decide to go from that to a G37 and then to an Elantra?
i love the tech features in the elantra. It drives great too; great handling, quiet ride. I cant race around austin anyways. Its not as sexy as the corvette or G37, but it night be the best car I've owned in a lot of ways.
Just admit it, you are getting older and those cars aren't as important in the grand scheme of things anymore. I never pegged you for a Hyundai guy, but I respect you for being practical.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

Madnessssss wrote:
swampgator wrote:
Madnessssss wrote: i love the tech features in the elantra. It drives great too; great handling, quiet ride. I cant race around austin anyways. Its not as sexy as the corvette or G37, but it night be the best car I've owned in a lot of ways.
Just admit it, you are getting older and those cars aren't as important in the grand scheme of things anymore. I never pegged you for a Hyundai guy, but I respect you for being practical.
Thats not it. Until now, you couldn't get cars with remote start, apple carplay, blind spot detection, back up cameras with side traffic detection, standard dope stereo systems, i could go on and on. To me, all that was simply more appealing than raw horsepower. I still love horsepower. To get a sports car with these features would be double the price because only brand new cars have these features. Cant buy used.
I get it. I want a car like that for mrs swamp. I'll get either a horsepower car or a truck for me.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Favorite car? - '66 289 Mustang. I had two.
Current car is an old truck with 325,000. I can't complain. No payments, and fairly pain free.
Next car will be about MPG. Prices are destined to rise.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**