Yo, Bush, thanks for referencing this site

Talk about anything here.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Yo, Bush, thanks for referencing this site

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the ... a-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting stuff.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Re: Yo, Bush, thanks for referencing this site

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Welcome! :D
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Bush4Ever35 wrote:Welcome! :D

Shaq is definitely going to be in his top eight along with Russell and Kareem, and of course, LeBron.

Wilt, especially in his early career, approached basketball like it was baseball where your success is more independent of your teammate's success than football and basketball, and their successes too.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:

Shaq is definitely going to be in his top eight along with Russell and Kareem, and of course, LeBron.

Wilt, especially in his early career, approached basketball like it was baseball where your success is more independent of your teammate's success than football and basketball, and their successes too.
IIRC, he's extremely-extremely high on KG and Hakeem, far past the point of where those guys are normally ranked by fans.

But yes, Wilt is a good example on the bad side of individual offense vs. global/team offense, where individual excellence doesn't really lead to a bettering of performance on the part of his teammates. Someone like Magic, Curry, or Bird would be on the happy side of that idea, where their individual offense was perhaps a touch more modest, but their game amplified the performance of their teammates much more than Wilt, leading to a better result on the team front.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Bush4Ever35 wrote:

IIRC, he's extremely-extremely high on KG and Hakeem, far past the point of where those guys are normally ranked by fans.

But yes, Wilt is a good example on the bad side of individual offense vs. global/team offense, where individual excellence doesn't really lead to a bettering of performance on the part of his teammates. Someone like Magic, Curry, or Bird would be on the happy side of that idea, where their individual offense was perhaps a touch more modest, but their game amplified the performance of their teammates much more than Wilt, leading to a better result on the team front.
I didn't notice that.

Shaq, Kareem, Russell, LeBron, KG, Jordan , Duncan, ???? = his top eight.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Sudanese Sensation wrote: I didn't notice that.

I would guess Hakeem for he 8th spot, knowing what I know.

I'm particularly interested in seeing how the 1-3 spots fall out. I know he's very big on longevity (relative to pure peak performance), and Jordan isn't amazingly strong on that front, so there might be a shakeup of sorts at the very top.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Bush4Ever35 wrote:

I'm particularly interested in seeing how the 1-3 spots fall out. I know he's very big on longevity (relative to pure peak performance), and Jordan isn't amazingly strong on that front, so there might be a shakeup of sorts at the very top.
Who fills the eight spots ? I came up with seven.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Bush4Ever35 wrote:

The guys you listed plus Hakeem.

I just took another look at the list and forgot he had already done the 20s, so it has to be Hakeem plus the 7 you mentioned.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
Bush4Ever35 wrote:

The guys you listed plus Hakeem.

I just took another look at the list and forgot he had already done the 20s, so it has to be Hakeem plus the 7 you mentioned.
For a guy that can't dribble with his left hand Jerry West gets rated relatively high.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

For a guy that can't dribble with his left hand Jerry West gets rated relatively high.
This isn't really a list of who the best players would be if you time-machined everyone to a common era.

It ranks players on the basis of provided the largest increase in the odds of a team winning championships over the course of their careers.

IIRC, West gets a strong bump for being extremely efficient compared to the league at the time, raising his game in the playoffs (unlike most superstars), and stat-stuffing while having good portability.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
This isn't really a list of who the best players would be if you time-machined everyone to a common era.

It ranks players on the basis of provided the largest increase in the odds of a team winning championships over the course of their careers.

IIRC, West gets a strong bump for being extremely efficient compared to the league at the time, raising his game in the playoffs (unlike most superstars), and stat-stuffing while having good portability.
I was being facetious about the dribbling and I have been informed by some of the loudest voices on this board that The Logo was a perennial big game loser, i.e. a choker.