Wizards future contention with Wall as cornerstone?

Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Wizards future contention with Wall as cornerstone?

Post by Buckets »

As you all know, Wall received a 5 year maximum extension this year and has certainly improved his play this season. Yet, the Wizards are hovering around .500 in a ridiculously weak eastern conference.

So it begs the question...Will the Wizards ever be serious contenders with John Wall as its cornerstone?
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Re: Wizards future contention with Wall as cornerstone?

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Shoot-first point guards never win anything, so no, the Wizards will never be a contender with him.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:Shoot-first point guards never win anything, so no, the Wizards will never be a contender with him.
He only shot 29 times last night. But he did take the blame in the loss last night, saying he shot too much and needs to pass more.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

And considering they were 10-31 this time last year, I'd say that the progress is evolving, just not there yet. If Wall cuts down on shots & turnovers and if the Wizards can actually find a core of 3-4 guys to stick around for awhile, they'll get better.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:Shoot-first point guards never win anything, so no, the Wizards will never be a contender with him.

I don't think they'll never win anything (in reference to shoot-first PGs) but having a shooting dominant PG (who is likely your best player) does not historically have a good track record. So do you think the Thunder won't win a ship with Westbrook?
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

SOrry but i don't see the Wizards contending regardless of how wall plays. Well i could see them contending with the magic of draft picks though.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

Buckets wrote:

I don't think they'll never win anything (in reference to shoot-first PGs) but having a shooting dominant PG (who is likely your best player) does not historically have a good track record. So do you think the Thunder won't win a ship with Westbrook?
SO you think they will win then?
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Buckets wrote:

Is he their primary offensive weapon?
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Thats not what you said, you said shoot first PGs never win anything. But I now get what you were trying to say.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

deezna10 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

SO you think they will win then?

Depends how Beal turns out along with others on the team. I can't say with certainty one way or the other
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:
Buckets wrote:

He thinks so.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

Max wrote:
Havlicekstealsit wrote:
Buckets wrote:

He thinks so.

What are you talking about? Havlicek never specified "shoot first pg's who are the leaders of their team" will never win. He just said shoot first pgs in general
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

deezna10 wrote:SOrry but i don't see the Wizards contending regardless of how wall plays. Well i could see them contending with the magic of draft picks though.
this. talent wins.

Wall is not winning with Bradley Beal, Trevor Ariza, Nenè Hilario and Marcin Gortat. That said making the playoffs and being a .500+ team is a statement of how valuable he is if you didn't see the value last year. At the end of the day if Wall wants to win he will have to seek FA in hopes of a championship. The Bulls have put a championship team around an inferior guard and they were good enough to win if they remained healthy, so I can assure you Wall is good enough but Washington is not the place.