Worst 3pt shooters in NBA history: Michael Jordan

Talk about anything here.
ElJorge
Role Player

Re: Worst 3pt shooters in NBA history: Michael Jordan

Post by ElJorge »

Russell would be a great high energy off the bench kinda player in today’s league. Great locker room guy who’d every team would love to have :suds:
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Great thread.

:pop2: :pop2: :pop2:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

BiGgER sTrOnGeR fAsTeR mOrE sKiLlEd

These guys from the Korean War and WW1 era are the exception though

:kg:
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

I'm glad the board consensus is that Bill Russell was a fraud.

Wilt is clear in basketball skill, basketball greatness, and bitches pulled.

Bill is clear in HOF teammates and money paid to the refs to rig games for Boston.

:-D
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

The stupidity of this board is mind blowing sometimes. LNS top pf the list here.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:42 pm The stupidity of this board is mind blowing sometimes. LNS top pf the list here.
From ChatGPT:

Bill Russell, known for his exceptional defense, faced many great centers during his career. While Russell often had the upper hand, some centers had notable success against him:

Wilt Chamberlain: Chamberlain is perhaps the most famous rival of Russell. Despite Russell's team often getting the better of Chamberlain's, Wilt had impressive individual performances against him. Chamberlain's scoring, rebounding, and physical dominance made their matchups legendary.

Nate Thurmond: Another formidable opponent, Thurmond was known for his strong defense and rebounding ability. While not as dominant as Chamberlain, Thurmond still had some good games against Russell.

Walt Bellamy: Bellamy was a prolific scorer and rebounder. He had several high-scoring games against Russell, showcasing his offensive skills.

These centers managed to have some success against Russell, although his Celtics teams were often dominant overall.

Here are the average points per game for some notable centers in their matchups against Bill Russell during the regular season:

Wilt Chamberlain: Chamberlain averaged approximately 28.7 points per game in 142 regular-season matchups against Russell's Celtics.

Nate Thurmond: Thurmond averaged around 14.1 points per game in 83 regular-season games against Russell.

Walt Bellamy: Bellamy averaged about 18.5 points per game in 85 regular-season games against Russell.

These averages give a sense of their scoring output when facing off against Bill Russell's Celtics. It's important to note that these are averages over multiple games and matchups throughout their careers.

ElJorge
Role Player

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

5 MVPs, as voted by players.
Arguably the greatest game 7 in finals history - 30 points and 40 rebounds in a 2 point win against the Lakers.
11 seasons in top 15 in assists. 4 in top 10.
4 seasons in top 5 in field goal percentage.
5 seasons leading the league in rebounds. Never worse than 3rd in all 13 seasons.
Even scoring, he had 6 seasons in the top 20, despite never giving a hoot about scoring per se.
Led the Celtics to the top ranked defense 12 of 13 seasons. Second in the other.

Ben Wallace was a nice player, underrated even, nut not worth one fine hair on Russell's ass.
ElJorge
Role Player

Post by ElJorge »

Russell would be Kenneth Faried or Birdman in today’s league… prob in the 90s as well. Very high energy player in small spurts. He’d be praised for being very cerebral or some shit.

:mjlaugh:
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:18 pm Russell would be Kenneth Faried or Birdman in today’s league… prob in the 90s as well. Very high energy player in small spurts. He’d be praised for being very cerebral or some shit.

If you really believe that, I can't help you.
ElJorge
Role Player

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:20 pm
ElJorge wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:18 pm Russell would be Kenneth Faried or Birdman in today’s league… prob in the 90s as well. Very high energy player in small spurts. He’d be praised for being very cerebral or some shit.

I’m slightly trolling… but he would not be All Star level or leading a team to a title in today’s league, that much is guaranteed. He’d be a solid role player. Very reliable locker room guy.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:45 pm Image

:haha2:
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:22 pm

I’m slightly trolling… but he would not be All Star level or leading a team to a title in today’s league, that much is guaranteed. He’d be a solid role player. Very reliable locker room guy.
He'd be even better than that, but obviously nowhere near as dominant as he was. He'd still ne by far the best defensive player in the NBA.

But pretending he'd be that guy is silly. Born 65 years later, he would have had access to better nutrition, training, coaching and been specializing in hoops at a young age. He qualified for the Olympics in high jump. He was an incredible athlete. Not a 'good' athlete, an incredible athlete. He would have been a far better overall player. We can quibble how much.

Offensively, where people poop on him, relative to era, he was a superior player as I posted earlier. We are just used to seeing players in today's era put up gaudy numbers. Born 65 years later, he clearly would have had a much deeper offensive arsenal. We just can't say how much better. That is always the case with players from earlier eras. If you just cavalierly dismiss them, the same will happen to MJ, Kobe and current stars in another 30-40 years. That's just the way things go.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

A real hard hat and lunch pail guy
ElJorge
Role Player

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:34 pm

He'd be even better than that, but obviously nowhere near as dominant as he was. He'd still ne by far the best defensive player in the NBA.
Dude… you’re doing it right now. The same bullshit you’re claiming tdk does with MJ or players from the 90s.

No… Russell would not “ne by far the best defensive player in the NBA.” He’d be a nice role player. Prob give you 9pts 7rebs 1blk a game. He’d start I think… not ahead of guys like Jokic or Embiid but maybe he’d split minutes with Clint Capela or someone like that.

:pjaxlol:
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:44 pm

Dude… you’re doing it right now. The same bullshit you’re claiming tdk does with MJ or players from the 90s.

No… Russell would not “ne by far the best defensive player in the NBA.” He’d be a nice role player. Prob give you 9pts 7rebs 1blk a game. He’d start I think… not ahead of guys like Jokic or Embiid but maybe he’d split minutes with Clint Capela or someone like that.

I’d compare him to Jerome Williams the junkyard dog.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

We are wasting our time. I think you are out to lunch. Believe what you will.
ElJorge
Role Player

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:53 pm

I think you’re a hypocrite. No biggie.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:57 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:53 pm

I think you’re a hypocrite. No biggie.
I'm intellectually consistent. I've made my arguments which you clearly have not reflected on.

You are just repeating the same baloney with absolutely no data to support it.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Where some of the disagreement probably comes from, is trying to assess what players from 65 years ago would be today. Do you really think Bob Cousy would be dribbling with one hand? If you do, then he can't play division 2 college, let alone make the HOF.

To me, that's silly. It's completely dismissive of prior eras.

The game continually evolves and gets better. The talent now in my opinion is unsurpassed. It will likely pale to the talent in another twenty years.

But if you don't do some adjusting for era, it just means you are completely dismissing entire eras. I'm not willing to do that.