Curry is in another realm as a scorer...

Talk about anything here.
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Re: Curry is in another realm as a scorer...

Post by TheSaboteur »

Because I said if something has changed since previous years, then my comments would be invalid. However, I don't believe much has changed, so your claim that Curry plays like Kyle Korver is quite shockingly wrong.
Image Vaccines Image

Cannot redeclare utf8_encode
876Stephen
Fantasy Football Champ

Post by 876Stephen »

TheSaboteur wrote:Because I said if something has changed since previous years, then my comments would be invalid. However, I don't believe much has changed, so your claim that Curry plays like Kyle Korver is quite shockingly wrong.
Is y2k calling Curry Kyle Korver?
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

876Stephen wrote:
TheSaboteur wrote:Because I said if something has changed since previous years, then my comments would be invalid. However, I don't believe much has changed, so your claim that Curry plays like Kyle Korver is quite shockingly wrong.
Looks like it.
Image Vaccines Image

TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

Bump for l3bron
Image Vaccines Image

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Y2k, while I generally agree with your takes, curry and korver are in different realms as players and play styles and players off the ball deserve/draw just as much attention as players with the ball. Curry is the best player in the league at shooting off the dribble and has the fastest release I've ever seen, has elite handles, drives into the lane nearly at will, and is one of the best facilitators in the league, he isn't anything like korver other then both being great 3 pt shooters
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

ITT: High blood pressure

PS: Harden > Curry in terms of scoring

PPS: Drawling fouls is a skill
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

l3bron wrote:ITT: High blood pressure

PS: Harden > Curry in terms of scoring

PPS: Drawling fouls is a skill
Copy & paste.

You're amazing at it.

I wish you'd post one original thought of your own though.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

876Stephen wrote:
If I was to believe such a thing, I would post exactly that. But I didn't.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

wailuaFC wrote:Y2k, while I generally agree with your takes, curry and korver are in different realms as players and play styles and players off the ball deserve/draw just as much attention as players with the ball. Curry is the best player in the league at shooting off the dribble and has the fastest release I've ever seen, has elite handles, drives into the lane nearly at will, and is one of the best facilitators in the league, he isn't anything like korver other then both being great 3 pt shooters
I never said such an outlandish thing, wailuaFC.

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

y2ktors wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:Y2k, while I generally agree with your takes, curry and korver are in different realms as players and play styles and players off the ball deserve/draw just as much attention as players with the ball. Curry is the best player in the league at shooting off the dribble and has the fastest release I've ever seen, has elite handles, drives into the lane nearly at will, and is one of the best facilitators in the league, he isn't anything like korver other then both being great 3 pt shooters
Haha I should have known better, I just read the op and the last page haha, my mistake :suds:
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

wailuaFC wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
Haha I should have known better, I just read the op and the last page haha, my mistake :suds:
:suds:

rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

y2ktors wrote:
wailuaFC wrote:
y2ktors wrote: I never said such an outlandish thing, wailuaFC.
To be fair though, you did state the following:

The thing about Curry is that he's a far better catch and shoot player than he is at any other facet of offense. Usually those type of players aren't held to the highest standard because they don't draw high frequency of fouls and don't command the highest level of attention in an opposing team's defensive game plan

...and, to be perfectly honest, that couldn't be further from the truth. Curry's quick release, handle (which has improved dramatically over the years), ability to create his own shot, and court vision/passing ability is really what he is best at. You didn't call him Kyle Korver, but claiming "catch and shoot" is what he's best at is simply the opposite of the truth, and selling him short in a wide variety of areas.

As for commanding the highest level of an opposing team's game plan, I would argue that Curry's skill set makes the Warriors more difficult to game plan for defensively than Harden's does. Harden is a good shooter, but at the end of the day he wants to use his snakey craftiness (for lack of a better term) to get to the rim and/or draw fouls (which he does better than any other player in the game). Game planning for guys like Harden, LeBron, Kobe, Westbrook, etc. is relatively simple, it's just not easy (because they are/were so ridiculously good): you want to force them to take as many long, contested jumpers as possible.

With Curry, what strategy do you even attempt? There's a reason why the Warriors are offensively dominant when he's on the floor, and fall off so precipitously in that regard when he's on the bench. His ridiculous range and ability to shoot off balance and off of the dribble stretches perimeter defenses like no other player in the league does, and when you pair that with his passing and vision, you have choose between giving him the space to shoot, or leaving driving lanes wide open for cutters.

I think one could make a strong argument that Harden is a better scorer than Curry, but there's no question in my mind that a Curry led team is more difficult for opposing teams to defend than a Harden led team.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

rtiff68 wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: Haha I should have known better, I just read the op and the last page haha, my mistake :suds:

The thing about Curry is that he's a far better catch and shoot player than he is at any other facet of offense. Usually those type of players aren't held to the highest standard because they don't draw high frequency of fouls and don't command the highest level of attention in an opposing team's defensive game plan

...and, to be perfectly honest, that couldn't be further from the truth. Curry's quick release, handle (which has improved dramatically over the years), ability to create his own shot, and court vision/passing ability is really what he is best at. You didn't call him Kyle Korver, but claiming "catch and shoot" is what he's best at is simply the opposite of the truth, and selling him short in a wide variety of areas.

As for commanding the highest level of an opposing team's game plan, I would argue that Curry's skill set makes the Warriors more difficult to game plan for defensively than Harden's does. Harden is a good shooter, but at the end of the day he wants to use his snakey craftiness (for lack of a better term) to get to the rim and/or draw fouls (which he does better than any other player in the game). Game planning for guys like Harden, LeBron, Kobe, Westbrook, etc. is relatively simple, it's just not easy (because they are/were so ridiculously good): you want to force them to take as many long, contested jumpers as possible.

With Curry, what strategy do you even attempt? There's a reason why the Warriors are offensively dominant when he's on the floor, and fall off so precipitously in that regard when he's on the bench. His ridiculous range and ability to shoot off balance and off of the dribble stretches perimeter defenses like no other player in the league does, and when you pair that with his passing and vision, you have choose between giving him the space to shoot, or leaving driving lanes wide open for cutters.

I think one could make a strong argument that Harden is a better scorer than Curry, but there's no question in my mind that a Curry led team is more difficult for opposing teams to defend than a Harden led team.
10/10, this was what I was trying to write just much more eloquently put
876Stephen
Fantasy Football Champ

Post by 876Stephen »

rtiff68 wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
wailuaFC wrote: Haha I should have known better, I just read the op and the last page haha, my mistake :suds:

This is spot fucking on. I don't really have the eloquence nor patience to type up a long winded response like this but this is what i have been saying the entire thread.

Drawing fouls is a skill no doubt but the difference between Harden and Curry's scoring output is only 3 points which minuscule despite Harden having the ball in his hands more a lot more, taking more free throws and 1 more shot per game.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Stephen got torn to bite sized pieces in here.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

lol if all i did was stand behind the line and shoot threes i could be an efficient scorer too

:troll:
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
Kevin
All-Star

Post by Kevin »

LakersNeedShaq wrote:Stephen got torn to bite sized pieces in here.
Lol and now he just wants to stand behind rt's post and claim he was saying the same thing
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

They are better than Chris Paul
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Titan18 wrote:They are better than Chris Paul
suck up. :mrgreen:
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

rtiff68 wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

Well stated. Now, here's my point:

When I see that 55% of a player's made 3pt FGs are assisted by others, that's catching and shooting. that # is much higher in other seasons. He also knows how to get himself open and use that quick release so it is an added luxury that the warriors have in him.

Catch and shoot, IMHO, is still what he does best. That isn't to say that he is not great at other things because he definitely is and what he's but great at, he's improving in. It isn't to ssy that u are wrong, rtiff68.

I just don't see him as a guy that would have the same effect on an offense if he's playing with lesser tools. He's just not crafty enough when the shots aren't falling for him.