Evangelist Billy Graham Dies At 99

Talk about anything here.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Re: Evangelist Billy Graham Dies At 99

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Y2K wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I know Graham is the most legendary of the popularized evangelists...

And I don't think he got caught up in any of the sordid scandals that plagued other cats like Falwell... right?
"Still, Graham's reputation was not without controversy. It was rumored in the 1990s that he had been caught on tape agreeing with anti-Semitic comments made by then-President Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. Graham vehemently denied that he had, until the tapes were made public in 2002."

This was probably as bad as it got for him.
Gained Zombie's approval with that controversy.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

CleveTown™ wrote:
He unapologetically taught the Bible, he was a true man of God, and taught the Scripture like it should be taught, unlike other televangelists who are wolves in sheep's clothing seeking donations (like Joel Osteen).

“Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.” - Billy Graham.

An inspiration to millions, finally at home.
Yes, when I started my own journey I looked at a few different places/churches and even denominations based on my previous background and understanding.

One trend that I noticed is that it seemed the larger the church, the less serious, less Bible-Focused, and more "SJW/progressively converged" the material and interactions were inside the church. That's why I'm doing my thing at a very small church.

Not a hard and fast rule, but maybe a good rule of thumb from my experiences.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Y2K wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I know Graham is the most legendary of the popularized evangelists...

And I don't think he got caught up in any of the sordid scandals that plagued other cats like Falwell... right?
"Still, Graham's reputation was not without controversy. It was rumored in the 1990s that he had been caught on tape agreeing with anti-Semitic comments made by then-President Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. Graham vehemently denied that he had, until the tapes were made public in 2002."

This was probably as bad as it got for him.
Gained Zombie's approval with that controversy.

Saw that, too.

Personally, I think it's just as bad that a devoutly religious guy lied so brazenly.

But in so many years in the public eye... it's tough to avoid every wart.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
CleveTown™ wrote:
He unapologetically taught the Bible, he was a true man of God, and taught the Scripture like it should be taught, unlike other televangelists who are wolves in sheep's clothing seeking donations (like Joel Osteen).

“Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.” - Billy Graham.

An inspiration to millions, finally at home.
Yes, when I started my own journey I looked at a few different places/churches and even denominations based on my previous background and understanding.

One trend that I noticed is that it seemed the larger the church, the less serious, less Bible-Focused, and more "SJW/progressively converged" the material and interactions were inside the church. That's why I'm doing my thing at a very small church.

Not a hard and fast rule, but maybe a good rule of thumb from my experiences.
Yup, they seek the approval of the masses, please as many people as they can, teach them what they want to hear and they'll come to their church and pay money. It's evil, really. Teach they'll go to hell without Christ, no, that's scary, man!!! No one wants to hear that. That doesn't fill the sanctuary or their pockets.

Teach them that all things are good, men are fallen but all of their deeds are acceptable in God's eyes and that there may even be more than one path to salvation. All lies. Deceit. And they will answer for leading the masses astray on Judgment Day.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
BrotherCharles
Superstar

Post by BrotherCharles »

Superstar is dead?
Make AngerGeneral Great Again
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

People know I'm an atheist.

But of all the televangelists out there, he somehow resonated as having a genuine belief and not being just a shill like so many.

He's still going to just be maggot food like the rest of us though!

:skip:
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:People know I'm an atheist.

But of all the televangelists out there, he somehow resonated as having a genuine belief and not being just a shill like so many.

He's still going to just be maggot food like the rest of us though!

:skip:

Maybe. But is there anything to having the optimism of something greater after death? Any downside to it (if you're not an idiot about it)?
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

CleveTown™ wrote:
Yup, they seek the approval of the masses, please as many people as they can, teach them what they want to hear and they'll come to their church and pay money. It's evil, really. Teach they'll go to hell without Christ, no, that's scary, man!!! No one wants to hear that. That doesn't fill the sanctuary or their pockets.

Teach them that all things are good, men are fallen but all of their deeds are acceptable in God's eyes and that there may even be more than one path to salvation. All lies. Deceit. And they will answer for leading the masses astray on Judgment Day.
I've often wondered if there is a real danger in keeping people in a low-energy/lukewarm place in the faith, and to what degree it's a problem versus things like outright opposition to the faith in the secular world, or even violence to the faith in some places in the world.

Assuming the truth of the Bible, that is.

Honestly, even when I was a Roman Catholic as a child/teen and Atheist later on...I had relatively little respect for Christians who approached the faith in a halfhearted or relatively indifferent way.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
CleveTown™ wrote:

I've often wondered if there is a real danger in keeping people in a low-energy/lukewarm place in the faith, and to what degree it's a problem versus things like outright opposition to the faith in the secular world, or even violence to the faith in some places in the world.

Assuming the truth of the Bible, that is.

Honestly, even when I was a Roman Catholic as a child/teen and Atheist later on...I had relatively little respect for Christians who approached the faith in a halfhearted or relatively indifferent way.

To be fair, you seem to have an issue with any opinion that is not "all in" one way or another.

Hopefully, your spiritual journey will lead you from this in-between stage directly into a hardened unyielding stance that will have you browbeating anybody else who believes differently. Fingers crossed...
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Maybe. But is there anything to having the optimism of something greater after death? Any downside to it (if you're not an idiot about it)?
I'm pretty sure a number of studies point to the idea of religion having a lot of value through the social ties/bonds it brings.

I can tell you from my personal experience, I've actually enjoy my social activities through my small church, and even the social elements of worship, etc...

Of course, that doesn't mean the claims of the religion are true.
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
To be fair, you seem to have an issue with any opinion that is not "all in" one way or another.

Hopefully, your spiritual journey will lead you from this in-between stage directly into a hardened unyielding stance that will have you browbeating anybody else who believes differently. Fingers crossed...
Some things simply don't admit of a "grey area", and it's dishonest to pretend otherwise.

Objective truth is a real thing. I care about it. You might not.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Kingcarl24 wrote:I read an article about him endorsing Mitt Romney despite having negative opinions about the Mormon church. They met and afterwards Billy Graham asked for all the negative stuff about the Mormon church to be removed from his website.

Just a cool story IMO about a man that was willing to listen to others he didn't agree with and change his feelings and teachings based off that.
It's interesting you see the positive in this (maybe because it was positive to the Mormon church?)
I kind of see the negative.
One of the hallmarks of conservatism is their promotion of 'values'.
Graham was willing to go against everything he believed in the past, solely for politics.
It is this same duplicity that has allowed Cons to vote for Trump, even though his personal behavior is the exact opposite of christian "values".
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

Imagine living to 99. You’re about to hit a milestone very few people make and then you drop like a sack of potatoes.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Shill Jackson wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:I read an article about him endorsing Mitt Romney despite having negative opinions about the Mormon church. They met and afterwards Billy Graham asked for all the negative stuff about the Mormon church to be removed from his website.

Just a cool story IMO about a man that was willing to listen to others he didn't agree with and change his feelings and teachings based off that.
It's interesting you see the positive in this (maybe because it was positive to the Mormon church?)
Graham was willing to go against everything he believed in the past, solely for politics.
It is this same duplicity that has allowed Cons to vote for Trump, even though his personal behavior is the exact opposite of christian "values".
I see a person who was willing to admit they may have been wrong and change. I see that as a positive thing. A progressive thing. It's not like it all changed when Romney lost.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

thatoothpick45 wrote:Imagine living to 99. You’re about to hit a milestone very few people make and then you drop like a sack of potatoes.

It's all relative.

My great aunt turns 100 next month. Even though she's still spry enough to be living alone in her own house... she has expressed very little (if any) joy in reaching the milestone. She's buried a lot of very close loved ones through the years... especially recently. Every time I see her, she wonders aloud what she's still doing here.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:

I see a person who was willing to admit they may have been wrong and change. I see that as a positive thing. A progressive thing. It's not like it all changed when Romney lost.

You're saying that about Graham and not Trump right?

I think part of Trump's allure for some is that his brashness or boorishness (your choice) is so unabashedly unapologetic...
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

My great aunt turns 100 next month. Even though she's still spry enough to be living alone in her own house... she has expressed very little (if any) joy in reaching the milestone. She's buried a lot of very close loved ones through the years... especially recently. Every time I see her, she wonders aloud what she's still doing here.
One of favorite sports movie scenes ever :D

phpBB [video]
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

I have two living grandfather's, they're both about 93. One still works every day, both drive and it's a minor miracle that neither has run anyone over yet. Both are definitely circling the mental state that Abe is talking about (coming to terms with the end).
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
thatoothpick45 wrote:Imagine living to 99. You’re about to hit a milestone very few people make and then you drop like a sack of potatoes.

It's all relative.

Sorry to hear that.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

thatoothpick45 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

It's all relative.

Sorry to hear that.

It's life. It's pretty awesome that she'll live to 99 or 100 or 101 or whatever... and to be able to do it in her own home. That's a win... almost any way you slice it.

In her case, it's simple: no parent wants to bury their children... whether those kids are children or pushing 70 years old.

My mom was with her when she found out her only son died. My mom described it as heart-wrenching... and then my mom died only a few months later. And then my aunt lose another niece she helped raise... it's gotta be hard on the psyche/heart.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

BrotherCharles wrote:Superstar is dead?
:lol: not him. But he's sick with Hep C tho.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!