You LeTots getting nervous Melo will be signing with Chicago

Talk about anything here.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Re: You LeTots getting nervous Melo will be signing with Chicago

Post by Smelters »

sportswise1 wrote:
Max. wrote:
Smelters wrote: I don't think that you can seriously name 24 players better than Melo.

Do you think Kevin Love is better than Melo?
Yes. Me and the whole world thinks that.
no -they don't and there is nothing to indicate that Love has been or is better-certainly not this past year
Fans and so called "experts" always say negative things about Melo not winning butmany fans and so called "experts" think Love is better than Melo.

That is why Max tried to throw a curve, by saying because he is white, instead of answering my question. But I digress thinking that he is even that intelligent to know that he was being set up.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Max. wrote:I love this
I guess so. Got the little attention you were seeking Maxine but ran for the hills when you were asked to elaborate.

You are weak and you back down when you are challenged. Must be tough when all you can do is come on a message board to look for attention by trolling and riding other poster's nuts to fit in.

:L
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

y2k, I asked you a question in this thread.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Smelters wrote:y2k, I asked you a question in this thread.
Where do you rank Melo, Smelters?
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Smelters wrote:
y2ktors wrote:Good thing he didn't. He's an overpaid bum.
Where would you rank him amongst all the NBA players?
Currently?

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

rtiff68 wrote:
10-15
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

y2ktors wrote:
Smelters wrote:
y2ktors wrote:Good thing he didn't. He's an overpaid bum.
Where would you rank him amongst all the NBA players?
Currently?
Yes.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Smelters wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
10-15
I'd agree that he's one of the 10-15 most talented players...

...he's simply never plugged the holes in his game. He's never been even average defensively, and he's a notorious ball-stopper on offense. He's one of the 5 most talented scorers in the game, but he's hard to build an offense around because the ball sticks to his hands like it did to Chris Carter.

He doesn't throw tantrums like DeMarcus Cousins, but they're similar in the sense that they have enormous talent, put up big numbers, but ultimately are difficult to build around on both ends.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

rtiff68 wrote:
Smelters wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
10-15

...he's simply never plugged the holes in his game. He's never been even average defensively, and he's a notorious ball-stopper on offense. He's one of the 5 most talented scorers in the game, but he's hard to build an offense around because the ball sticks to his hands like it did to Chris Carter.

He doesn't throw tantrums like DeMarcus Cousins, but they're similar in the sense that they have enormous talent, put up big numbers, but ultimately are difficult to build around on both ends.
I can build around Melo. It's easy. He went to the WCF with Chauncey at the lead and that Nugget team.

So you wouldn't know who to add to make that a title? Well Kobe had Shaq and a lot more as well as Bron, as well as KD, as well as TD, as well as...., as well as

How would many of those players make out with Melo's best team and playing out west?
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Paul Pierce and Melo have about the same career numbers. Melo's are slightly better and he played in the stronger west most of his career.

Pierce really became the truth only when Ray, KG, Rondo, etc and all those other good pieces were in place
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Smelters wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
Smelters wrote: 10-15

I can build around Melo. It's easy. He went to the WCF with Chauncey at the lead and that Nugget team.

So you wouldn't know who to add to make that a title? Well Kobe had Shaq and a lot more as well as Bron, as well as KD, as well as TD, as well as...., as well as

How would many of those players make out with Melo's best team and playing out west?
Kobe also went back-to-back with Pau as his second best player. I'm about as far from a Kobe fan as there is (I think most on this board will confirm this), but comparing him and Melo is pretty silly. Like Melo, Kobe had/has questionable shot selection-- while both are too selfish for their own good offensively, I'd still say that Kobe is less of a ball stopper than Melo (some of that can be attributed to Phil, to be fair).

Defensively, it isn't even a comparison. Kobe might have received a few too many "reputation" based All Defensive 1st Team selections, but at his peak he was one of the best perimeter defenders in the game, while Melo has always been below average on the "other" half of the court.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Smelters wrote:Paul Pierce and Melo have about the same career numbers. Melo's are slightly better and he played in the stronger west most of his career.

Pierce really became the truth only when Ray, KG, Rondo, etc and all those other good pieces were in place
I wouldn't disagree that Melo is a bigger, less clutch version of Paul Pierce.

Pierce won a single title on a team where he was not the best or most important player. Just because Pierce had been there longer does not mean that that team was "built around" him-- they were built around KG, and his defensive intensity.

Could Melo be the 2nd best player on a championship team with other pieces in place (like Pierce with the 2008 Celtics)? Absolutely.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

rtiff68 wrote:
Smelters wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:

Kobe also went back-to-back with Pau as his second best player. I'm about as far from a Kobe fan as there is (I think most on this board will confirm this), but comparing him and Melo is pretty silly. Like Melo, Kobe had/has questionable shot selection-- while both are too selfish for their own good offensively, I'd still say that Kobe is less of a ball stopper than Melo (some of that can be attributed to Phil, to be fair).

Defensively, it isn't even a comparison. Kobe might have received a few too many "reputation" based All Defensive 1st Team selections, but at his peak he was one of the best perimeter defenders in the game, while Melo has always been below average on the "other" half of the court.
I think you missed the point. I'm not comparing. I'm saying that those players have had really good teams around them. Melo has had nothing close to a team that was considered even great from the start.

You put Gasol alone on Melo's best team and they probably win the title and that team would still not be as deep as the other player's teams that I listed previously.

Look at the Nugget team from 2009

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... akers.html
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

rtiff68 wrote:
Smelters wrote:Paul Pierce and Melo have about the same career numbers. Melo's are slightly better and he played in the stronger west most of his career.

I wouldn't disagree that Melo is a bigger, less clutch version of Paul Pierce.

Pierce won a single title on a team where he was not the best or most important player. Just because Pierce had been there longer does not mean that that team was "built around" him-- they were built around KG, and his defensive intensity.

Could Melo be the 2nd best player on a championship team with other pieces in place (like Pierce with the 2008 Celtics)? Absolutely.
Maybe because he was there already but Pierce was considered the man during those days. Melo hasn't had the clutch chances that PP got with the arrival of KG and Ray that led him to go deeper in the playoffs and thus have more chances to hit bigger shots.

Adding Gasol to that 2009 Nugget team would have probably led the Nuggets to a title and Melo would have probably been the top player on that team or even the 2nd best player.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Smelters wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
Smelters wrote: I can build around Melo. It's easy. He went to the WCF with Chauncey at the lead and that Nugget team.

I think you missed the point. I'm not comparing. I'm saying that those players have had really good teams around them. Melo has had nothing close to a team that was considered even great from the start.

You put Gasol alone on Melo's best team and they probably win the title and that team would still not be as deep as the other player's teams that I listed previously.

Look at the Nugget team from 2009

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... akers.html
No dude, they probably don't.

I could not disagree with you more, for a multitude of a reasons. Do you really think that Melo's supporting cast was "that" bad? As in, LeBron-on-the-2007 Cavs-bad?

Chauncey Billups was 4th in Offensive Win Shares, 5th in overall Win Shares, 3rd in Offensive Box Score +/-, and 5th in overall +/- the year before he joined Melo that season...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... aders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That team also had a not totally washed up Kenyon Martin, who had formerly been the 2nd best player on a team that made back-to-back Finals, Nene (still starting for a playoff team), JR Smith, Chris Anderson, etc.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

So Melo can't have Fisher instead of JR? Odom instead of Klieza? Now can Melo win?

I don't think you know what I'm talking about and I didn't even mention Ariza and Bynum.

KMart was nearly finished when he joined the Nuggets after not 1 but 2 microfracture surgeries.