LOL did they really find this impressive in the 90's?

Talk about anything here.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Re: LOL did they really find this impressive in the 90's?

Post by wailuaFC »

kobeunderbite wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:29 am It would be like Kimbo Slice trying to play NBA ball today
This is definitely underrating how good he was, but is he a better version of vucevic in today’s game? What modern player would you compare him to? Maybe A+ version of Bobby Portis?
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

wailuaFC wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:39 am
kobeunderbite wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:29 am It would be like Kimbo Slice trying to play NBA ball today
This is definitely underrating how good he was, but is he a better version of vucevic in today’s game? What modern player would you compare him to? Maybe A+ version of Bobby Portis?

It's hyperbolic but the essence is true. No musclebound 90s enforcer with a limited modern skillset is going to enjoy as much success in today's NBA. It's obvious.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

wailuaFC wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:25 am
ElJorge wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:31 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:54 pm
Not a knock on Karl but my first thought was a more athletic, bigger, and stronger version of Carlos Boozer.
Yea I guess that’s a fair comparison. In his prime he was putting up 28ppg 10rpg 4apg type numbers on 55% shooting. KingCarl would prob know way more about him than I ever could TBH.
I think he’s the exact type of player that would be neutered in today’s game. Wasn’t really an above the rim threat and not a spacer, his best skill was pick and pop from like 16-18, not really a rim protector and definitely couldn’t keep up on switches. When thinking about portability of skill sets, his really wouldn’t age well into today game
^^this is close. Some guys would translate wonderfully. Malone, not so much.

It's come up before, but I think Bird would have been a monster in today's NBA. He had the ability to shoot from anywhere and the basketball IQ of a savant. His numbers would be better than they were. Malone wouldn't get nearly as many touches today. Zero chance he sniffs an MVP or a bunch on all NBAs.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:31 am
wailuaFC wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:25 am
ElJorge wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:31 pm

Yea I guess that’s a fair comparison. In his prime he was putting up 28ppg 10rpg 4apg type numbers on 55% shooting. KingCarl would prob know way more about him than I ever could TBH.
I think he’s the exact type of player that would be neutered in today’s game. Wasn’t really an above the rim threat and not a spacer, his best skill was pick and pop from like 16-18, not really a rim protector and definitely couldn’t keep up on switches. When thinking about portability of skill sets, his really wouldn’t age well into today game
^^this is close. Some guys would translate wonderfully. Malone, not so much.

It's come up before, but I think Bird would have been a monster in today's NBA. He had the ability to shoot from anywhere and the basketball IQ of a savant. His numbers would be better than they were. Malone wouldn't get nearly as many touches today. Zero chance he sniffs an MVP or a bunch on all NBAs.
This has me thinking, we always discuss portability of past players game into todays in a positive manner, but what all time great would see the most negative change? I think Malone had to be up there but who else? Not to pick on the Jazz, but Stockton wouldn’t fair well either