Rolling the ball halfway down the court

Talk about anything here.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Re: Rolling the ball halfway down the court

Post by l3bron »

zombiesonics wrote:
Smelters wrote:When taking the ball out, the team with the ball must gain possession of the ball before 5 seconds. Of course if the defending team pick it up it's their ball.

That's why in the video the announcer asked for a 5 second call and there should have been. It's one of those plays that the refs even forget sometimes.

I was on a team and this happened to us as the backup point guard let the ball roll and the ref called a 5 second violation. He explained it to us and the coach. I asked different officials in other games about this and they agreed.
No. The ball has to leave the inbounder's hands within 5 seconds. If the inbounder waits 4 seconds and then throws the ball inbounds and is deflected by a defender and eventually gains possession after a scramble, it's not a 5 second violation. If the inbounder waits 4 seconds and then tosses a long crosscourt heave that takes 3 seconds to land, it's not a 5 second violation.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Nah bro. The ref just totally forgets, to like, do his job.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Under all basketball rule sets, a team attempting a throw-in has a total of five seconds to release the ball towards the court.[1]

That's from the NBA rule book. The red was full of crap.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Kingcarl24 wrote:Under all basketball rule sets, a team attempting a throw-in has a total of five seconds to release the ball towards the court.[1]

We thought the refs were jerking us. But other refs I asked said the same and a few said the clock starts when the ball is touched.

And in the video the announcer seems to think that it's a 5 second violation.

I could be wrong but this is what I experienced (which the ref could have been wrong) and was told.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Smelters wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:Under all basketball rule sets, a team attempting a throw-in has a total of five seconds to release the ball towards the court.[1]

We thought the refs were jerking us. But other refs I asked said the same and a few said the clock starts when the ball is touched.

I could be wrong but this is what I experienced (which the ref could have been wrong) and was told.
That's straight from the rule book. It's once the ball is released towards the court.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Smelters wrote:

That's straight from the rule book. It's once the ball is released towards the court.
I saw that in the rules. hmmmm.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Smelters wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Smelters wrote: We thought the refs were jerking us. But other refs I asked said the same and a few said the clock starts when the ball is touched.

I saw that in the rules. hmmmm.
Those refs were full of it and really didn't know what they're talking about.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

We may have to reinstate moderator approval for all threads started by shill accounts.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Well the bottom line is teams do it to save some seconds (usually when they are losing) to try to get back in the game.

The shot clock doesn't start until someone touches the ball. I will find out more about this because I remember it was upsetting when the ref called it on us.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

ripper76 wrote:We may have to reinstate moderator approval for all threads started by shill accounts.
Uh Oh!!!

What happened Ripper?
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Cobra Kai wrote:Red Rum
mur deR