Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Re: Steve Nash on retirement

Post by Buckets »

y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

I can say that I'd honestly turn it Down even with it in front of me and not regret it one bit.

Money doesn't own my pride nor my soul.
Again, you can't type up sport cliches behind your keyboard but you'll never know what Nash is feeling until you experience that amount of money first-hand.

I lol'd at "soul."
I did say "Me personally" didn't I? I never even gave an opinion on what I thought about Nash is feeling. I don't know his personal situation.

If I've made 100 million in my career, what's 9 more going to drastically change? For me, nothing.

That's why I'd take less to be comfortable than a max deal somewhere less comfortable. I could take 20-30 million less on 4-5 year deal to play in San Antonio than to play in Utah. Money doesn't entrap me to the point where I can't turn it down.

I respect the game too much to hang around for a payday knowing that I'm old, injured and cannot play anymore.

I'm going to retire and be thankful for the experiences along the way.

And yes, soul. I do have one.
You forgot to add your wish for world peace in there
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

We don't know Nash's income to debt ratio. Just cause he's netted $100 million over 20 years doesn't mean that's just sitting in the bank, or it's his net worth. Maybe he's made some bad investments, maybe he's supporting 32 family members is Canada, and another 49 distant family members in Johannesburg, maybe the Calgarian Mob is silently extorting him, who knows. I have no clue how much Nash needs that $9 million right now.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

lettherebehouse wrote:We don't know Nash's income to debt ratio. Just cause he's netted $100 million over 20 years doesn't mean that's just sitting in the bank, or it's his net worth. Maybe he's made some bad investments, maybe he's supporting 32 family members is Canada, and another 49 distant family members in Johannesburg, maybe the Calgarian Mob is silently extorting him, who knows. I have no clue how much Nash needs that $9 million right now.
Or maybe, just maybe, he's not going to pass on a guaranteed 9 million when he has 40-50 other years to do something else. It may be crazy talk but he might be thinking that
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Buckets wrote:
lettherebehouse wrote:We don't know Nash's income to debt ratio. Just cause he's netted $100 million over 20 years doesn't mean that's just sitting in the bank, or it's his net worth. Maybe he's made some bad investments, maybe he's supporting 32 family members is Canada, and another 49 distant family members in Johannesburg, maybe the Calgarian Mob is silently extorting him, who knows. I have no clue how much Nash needs that $9 million right now.
Or maybe, just maybe, he's not going to pass on a guaranteed 9 million when he has 40-50 other years to do something else. It may be crazy talk but he might be thinking that
He is paying hella child support and alimony though.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

I can say that I'd honestly turn it Down even with it in front of me and not regret it one bit.

Money doesn't own my pride nor my soul.
Again, you can't type up sport cliches behind your keyboard but you'll never know what Nash is feeling until you experience that amount of money first-hand.

I lol'd at "soul."
I believe that there are many things in life that we think we could predict our reaction to, but that unless we are really put in the situation, we just don't know. Tons of different examples of that and this is just one of them.

Edit: not saying that's the case here with you y2ktors, it's more of a general comment.
I agree with your general statement.

But in this case, I DEFINITELY know that i would be able to walk away from 9 million dollars if I was in a similar, not identical, situation as his.

I just couldn't bring myself to know that I'm only on the team to collect paychecks because I'm too old and injured to play. That's not what ultimate competitors do.

Now if I were to say that I'm going to tell my mom off the next time I see her and then I finally see her, Most likely I will keep my mouth shut because I want to keep my teeth.

LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

y2ktors wrote:
Buckets wrote:
He is paying hella child support and alimony though.
How do you know his child support/alimony payments
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

ripper76 wrote:The Steve Nash to the Lakers experiment is not looking too good.
Neither is the Dwight Howard and Earl Clark experiment to the Lakers
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

y2ktors wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
y2ktors wrote:Me personally, I could never do it. I'm the ultimate competitor. If I physically, emotionally and mentally cannot give a good effort, especially at age 40, I'm done. If I can't do it at 30, I'm done. I about winning first and because of that I have a very very very high competitive drive. But do compensate me financially as I deserve to be.

I can't sit on the bench for 70%+ of a season and get paid knowing that I'm 40 and have a degenerative back condition that will not allow me to play at a good competitive level.

So you know you're not capable of performing at a level as high as somebody else at your current job... do you return part of your salary?
Being a professional sports player Is a career, not a job. They aren't comparable.

Apparently, I should have asked somebody with a good job/career?
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

So you know you're not capable of performing at a level as high as somebody else at your current job... do you return part of your salary?
Being a professional sports player Is a career, not a job. They aren't comparable.

Apparently, I should have asked somebody with a good job/career?
Yep. My current job is not a career by any means. It is just a gag stop.