phuture. Who would you want as your starting point guard for the 76ers?

Talk about anything here.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

phuture. Who would you want as your starting point guard for the 76ers?

Post by elmouse03 »

Ty Lawson or Eric Drew Bledsoe?
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Re: phuture. Who would you want as your starting point guard for the 76ers?

Post by PhutureDynasty »

If those are the choices then Bledsoe for sure.

Personally, I'd pass on either though. I like taller PGs. Preferably at least 6'3''.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

PhutureDynasty wrote:If those are the choices then Bledsoe for sure.

Personally, I'd pass on either though. I like taller PGs. Preferably at least 6'3''.
So Rubio then when Jones take his spot in the middle of the season. :mrgreen:
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

elmouse03 wrote:

I honestly wouldn't mind Rubio at all given we have a lot of scoring options around him. His shooting efficiency is bad but in my eyes a PG needs to be pass-first anyway.

I'm not sure how he is defensively though.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

PhutureDynasty wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:

I honestly wouldn't mind Rubio at all given we have a lot of scoring options around him. His shooting efficiency is bad but in my eyes a PG needs to be pass-first anyway.

I could see the 76ers get Lawson because of his passing. I believe he averaged 15 and 10 last year. Just somebody who can give the ball to Okafor inside.
WeaponX20
All-Star

Post by WeaponX20 »

I'm partial to lawson myself, but Bledsoe is nasty
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Ty Lawson is a good NBA player, and much better than I expected him to be as a prospect.

That said, I wonder about what's going on between that guy's ears-- to be honest, I am a little weary about all of those Nuggets, save perhaps Faried. After they won 57 games, Andre Iguodala turned down a 5th year and a lot more money to leave that team, and he had some not-so-flattering things to say about his former teammates (their lack of competitiveness, dirty play, etc.). When you see how they've fallen apart since, and how they blatantly quit on Brian Shaw, it would appear that his words had some merit.

Lawson is that team's best player, and he was just arrested for his second DUI this year. I'm not sure that's the type of veteran you want to bring on to a young, impressionable team.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Two years ago I would've taken Lawson but after his recent mishaps I gotta go with Bledsoe. Bledsoe's a solid two-way player.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Why would Philly trade for a vet PG that makes them better? Doesn't that interfere with their ongoing tank-and-stash rebuilding plan?
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

I still can't believe the 76ers traded MCW.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

PhutureDynasty wrote:
elmouse03 wrote:

I'm not a big Rubio fan at all although, like Lawson, he's actually better than I expected him to be. I thought he would be a flat out bust; instead, he's pretty much a "meh" starting PG.

I'm generally not a big fan of players who have a massive weakness while not simultaneously having a massive strength. Rubio is a solid defender, but he's not elite; he's a creative passer and a very good ball handler, but not transcendent (these are really his biggest strengths, from what I've seen); he's also a bad scorer overall and an abysmal shooter in particular.

Pass (no pun intended).
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Smelters wrote:I still can't believe the 76ers traded MCW.
It surprised me as well but I think MCW has a very limited ceiling. He's very inefficient and turnover prone.

With that being said he's very long which makes him a very good defender and I watched him absolutely abuse Rose on the block. If he can find any semblance of a shot he can double his value but I don't see it happening.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

gaskill15 wrote:
It surprised me as well but I think MCW has a very limited ceiling. He's very inefficient and turnover prone.

With that being said he's very long which makes him a very good defender and I watched him absolutely abuse Rose on the block. If he can find any semblance of a shot he can double his value but I don't see it happening.
I didn't mind trading the player as much as I had a problem with the return.

A top 5 protected 1st round pick pretty much means "late lottery or worse"...straight up for a guy fresh off of a ROY campaign? It would be one thing if they traded him during the draft for a prospect they really wanted-- like they did with Holiday, and like the Spurs did with George Hill (another big PG who can't shoot), but that wasn't the case.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

rtiff68 wrote:
gaskill15 wrote:

A top 5 protected 1st round pick pretty much means "late lottery or worse"...straight up for a guy fresh off of a ROY campaign? It would be one thing if they traded him during the draft for a prospect they really wanted-- like they did with Holiday, and like the Spurs did with George Hill (another big PG who can't shoot), but that wasn't the case.
Yeah that did puzzle me as well. I think that marked the point in time where I truly believed the Sixers were tanking and frankly weren't doing anything to prove to Sixer fans that they were thinking about winning in the future.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

gaskill15 wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
gaskill15 wrote:

Yeah that did puzzle me as well. I think that marked the point in time where I truly believed the Sixers were tanking and frankly weren't doing anything to prove to Sixer fans that they were thinking about winning in the future.
Or hinkie realized that he didn't want his pg of the future to be a super inefficient, poor decision making, can't hit the broad side of the barn pg who wasn't that great of a distributor. A top 5 protected pick doesn't sound that great, but I don't think MCW will ever be more then a below average pg who stunts the players around him because of his turnover rate and inefficiency
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

Yeah but who gives up on a 1st round pick who won ROY after one year? There have been many players who took a long time to develop, especially when it comes to outside shooting and even free throws.

And I thought Philly would get more for him.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

Smelters wrote:Yeah but who gives up on a 1st round pick who won ROY after one year? There have been many players who took a long time to develop, especially when it comes to outside shooting and even free throws.

I can see the philly may have been able to get more for him view, but winning ROY was more indicative of how poor that draft class was rather then MCWs skill
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

wailuaFC wrote:
gaskill15 wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:

Or hinkie realized that he didn't want his pg of the future to be a super inefficient, poor decision making, can't hit the broad side of the barn pg who wasn't that great of a distributor. A top 5 protected pick doesn't sound that great, but I don't think MCW will ever be more then a below average pg who stunts the players around him because of his turnover rate and inefficiency
I gotta think they could've gotten more for him. The guy just won ROY. I know it was a weak rookie class but a young, athletic PG should require more value than a mediocre draft pick.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

wailuaFC wrote:
Smelters wrote:Yeah but who gives up on a 1st round pick who won ROY after one year? There have been many players who took a long time to develop, especially when it comes to outside shooting and even free throws.

I can see the philly may have been able to get more for him view, but winning ROY was more indicative of how poor that draft class was rather then MCWs skill

Beat me to it on that point haha.
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

wailuaFC wrote:
gaskill15 wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:

This is really the point, though. Like I said, I didn't have a problem with moving the player, I had a problem with the return. Tanking is all about having patience, and I find it very hard to believe that had Hinkie waited, he wouldn't have been able to get a better deal for MCW. Why not wait until the draft, see if a player you like falls, and then offer MCW straight up to a team in a position to draft said player? That way, you trade one prospect for a prospect you like better.

Instead, the Sixers traded a player whose stock was close to being at an all time high for a pittance.