D'Antoni Out as Lakers Coach?

Talk about anything here.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

D'Antoni Out as Lakers Coach?

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Bit of shock to think a guy with his resume, and what he did in NY would be fired...

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... ke-DAntoni" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Re: D'Antoni Out as Lakers Coach?

Post by ripper76 »

I still find it baffling that they hired him in the first place.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

He'll resign before getting labeled with "fired."
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

ripper76 wrote:I still find it baffling that they hired him in the first place.
Exactly. He's a gimmick coach. He got lucky in Phoenix with Nash and Amare where his gimmick style worked... in the regular season.
DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

Yea.. I never understood why they hired D'antoni. I figured they would have gone for one of the Van Gundy's or something
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

Kobe will continue to point fingers at everyone else except the fact his salary will take up nearly half the team's payroll for the next two seasons.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

somberbostonian wrote:Kobe will continue to point fingers at everyone else except the fact his salary will take up nearly half the team's payroll for the next two seasons.

What on earth does that have to do with this thread?
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

I've said it before, but the Lakers - much like the Knicks before them - got caught romanticizing over what he did back in the desert almost a decade ago now. Outside of his PHX days D'Antoni is a garbage coach.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:I've said it before, but the Lakers - much like the Knicks before them - got caught romanticizing over what he did back in the desert almost a decade ago now. Outside of his PHX days D'Antoni is a garbage coach.
I don't concur.
They hired him because they are in rebuilding mode and wanted to have an entertaining product. Additionally, Brown was all defense and a micro manager. Antoni is known as a players coach, and might have even worked if Nash had been healthy.
To blame him for this season doesn't make much sense.
If he's let go, it won't be until the end of the season.
I expect Scott or Hollins next.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Shill Jackson wrote:
Havlicekstealsit wrote:I've said it before, but the Lakers - much like the Knicks before them - got caught romanticizing over what he did back in the desert almost a decade ago now. Outside of his PHX days D'Antoni is a garbage coach.
I don't concur.
They hired him because they are in rebuilding mode and wanted to have an entertaining product. Additionally, Brown was all defense and a micro manager. Antoni is known as a players coach, and might have even worked if Nash had been healthy.
I don't know man. Lakers weren't rebuilding when they hired him. They had signed Nash, traded for Howard and hoped D'Antoni would coach them to Kobe's 6th ring.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Johnnyblazzed wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
I don't concur.
I don't know man. Lakers weren't rebuilding when they hired him. They had signed Nash, traded for Howard and hoped D'Antoni would coach them to Kobe's 6th ring.
I understand what you are saying, but even then, they had already dropped Fish, Odom & others.
Nash was a gamble that didn't pan out, but they've still done a lot to get younger.
The cap has changed things - cheap young players are where it's at.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

ripper76 wrote:I still find it baffling that they hired him in the first place.
So does most of Lakers nation. It's like a horrible joke with no punchline in sight
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
somberbostonian wrote:Kobe will continue to point fingers at everyone else except the fact his salary will take up nearly half the team's payroll for the next two seasons.

Jealously
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

Shill Jackson wrote:
I don't concur.
They are not entertaining. He is alienating his bigs and has everywhere that he has gone. Brown was boring so they fired him but D'Antoni is not fun because the Lakers lose even more than with Brown. This makes his second full season and his team is getting worse.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

LookAway wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
I don't concur.
They are not entertaining. He is alienating his bigs and has everywhere that he has gone. Brown was boring so they fired him but D'Antoni is not fun because the Lakers lose even more than with Brown. This makes his second full season and his team is getting worse.
The top three player from last year are gone/out, and the cap has led to more whittling of the vets.
alienating his bigs - true. Beane alienated his scouts/vets as well.
--Henry Rollins

lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

I'm not saying D'antoni's a good coach. But he was set up for failure the moment he took the deal to coach the Lakers. Some coaches can work it out to get through an injury or two, but I doubt any team was hit as hard with injuries as bad as the Lakers were the last 2 years, he never had a chance.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

lettherebehouse wrote:I'm not saying D'antoni's a good coach. But he was set up for failure the moment he took the deal to coach the Lakers. Some coaches can work it out to get through an injury or two, but I doubt any team was hit as hard with injuries as bad as the Lakers were the last 2 years, he never had a chance.
Oh I'm sure the bulls babies will debate that one with you.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

lettherebehouse wrote:I'm not saying D'antoni's a good coach. But he was set up for failure the moment he took the deal to coach the Lakers. Some coaches can work it out to get through an injury or two, but I doubt any team was hit as hard with injuries as bad as the Lakers were the last 2 years, he never had a chance.
I don't know about being set up for failure. Those injuries came after he signed on. Again, looking at his resume sans Phoenix.... not impressive. I have no idea what the Lakers saw in that guy.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... ke-DAntoni" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what Kobe does best: blame others when things go bad.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

Johnnyblazzed wrote:
I don't know about being set up for failure. Those injuries came after he signed on. Again, looking at his resume sans Phoenix.... not impressive. I have no idea what the Lakers saw in that guy.

I don't mean literally he was set up. But you could've put Phil, Popovic, Riley, Red, whoever, there isn't a coach in NBA history that could have found any success with the makeshift group of tomato cans (sorry VCSGrizz) he had to work with going into last year's postseason, or this year's entire season.

They backdoored into last season's playoffs, and closed the year out very nice playing better than 90% (recordwise) of the league over their final 25 games. This year, D'antoni never stood a chance, making it unfair to his resume having a blanket record with insurmountable circumstances stapled to it.