Is grad school worth the investment?

Talk about anything here.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Re: Is grad school worth the investment?

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Not for an arts degree.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

It wasn't for me at this point. I changed programs 3 times; ended up with an MA in GIS. Never worked in the field, however. I got offered a job working with Universal Maps at the same time I was considering teaching abroad, but jumped in and went to Korea instead.
Thedictator
Legend

Post by Thedictator »

If it was free it would be worth it
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

y2ktors wrote:
Wishbone wrote:For my field you have to go to Grad school to be licensed so it is a must. It's not true in every situation. In fact just yesterday a young man who has the opportunity to to do an internship over the summer with Impact Basketball. He asked me should he go to summer school and finish his degree or do the internship.

In his case the internship is a no brainer. He'll be working with NBA and future NBA talent, be able to network with top professionals in the filled and gain once in a lifetime experience.

Wish I had a change like that as a young man. Also, you should not really have to pay for grad school in my opinion. I could tell you more about how to get it paid for if you were interested.
How can I get it paid for?
One good way is to find faculty members in the programs you want to attend who are currently doing research. Learn about their research and contact them. Tell them you are really interested in their research and tell them why. If you just tell them you like their research they will ignore the email as they get those sorts of emails all the time. Go into details about why you like the research they are doing. This is what I did. Also you can teach, they will pay you some for teaching as a TA.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

swampgator wrote:It wasn't for me at this point. I changed programs 3 times; ended up with an MA in GIS. Never worked in the field, however. I got offered a job working with Universal Maps at the same time I was considering teaching abroad, but jumped in and went to Korea instead.
Are/were u Geography major?

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

y2ktors wrote:
swampgator wrote:It wasn't for me at this point. I changed programs 3 times; ended up with an MA in GIS. Never worked in the field, however. I got offered a job working with Universal Maps at the same time I was considering teaching abroad, but jumped in and went to Korea instead.
A BS in Urban Planning/Design with many courses taken in geography. MA in geography.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

swampgator wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
A BS in Urban Planning/Design with many courses taken in geography. MA in geography.
BA in Regional and Cultural Geography. :-D

fsuheater
Superstar

Post by fsuheater »

swampgator wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

I took some Urban Planning/Design courses during and after law school. We did mostly planning/land use/growth management-type legal work at my old firm. Good stuff, swampgator. Are you a UF guy?
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

fsuheater wrote:
swampgator wrote:
y2ktors wrote: Are/were u Geography major?

I took some Urban Planning/Design courses during and after law school. We did mostly planning/land use/growth management-type legal work at my old firm. Good stuff, swampgator. Are you a UF guy?
Hope not. Lol.

But I did a few GIS courses because they were prerequisites for the senior seminar. I hated GIS.

Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

y2ktors wrote: Hope not. Lol.

But I did a few GIS courses because they were prerequisites for the senior seminar. I hated GIS.
I use it a lot on my job.

It's the good shit. Mmmmm yeah

:D
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Bush4Ever wrote:
y2ktors wrote: Hope not. Lol.

I use it a lot on my job.

It's the good shit. Mmmmm yeah

:D
I don't even recall how to use any of the GIS programs anymore. :sadbron: