Lakers trying to trade for Love, u mad ?

Talk about anything here.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Lakers trying to trade for Love, u mad ?

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Fartsmello Anthony wrote:Think it's funny that Laker fans just assume he'll hit the free agent market and be theirs. This isn't your daddy's Lakers who get whoever they want whenever they want. There's also other teams inquiring about Love's services.

The Celtics have been rumored to have offered a package involving a combination of Jeff Green, Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, Brandon Bass, and their first rounder this year (which is probably a top five just like the Lakers).

But with shorter contract lengths... star players are looking at resigning sooner and sooner. So a team trading for a guy like Love is at risk of losing him really quickly.

For the life of me (I know Grizz for one disagrees with me on this), I don't see how the NBA's new CBA helps improve parity around the league (which is what we were told over and over and over again for a very long time).

The players have MORE control. And the marquee markets have more clout. We were suckered all along... but nobody really cares. It's expected at this point.

[Note: I called this when the lockout was still going on.]
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

fpliii wrote:
thedangerouskitchen wrote:2014 Pau Gasol and a first-round pick for Kevin Love...??

ROFL... Flip Saunders would have to have rocks in his head to make that trade.
Two things though:

1) He's leaving after next season anyway, and people around the league are saying he's going to LA.
2) The Lakers' pick this year will likely be top 5 or 6 in the draft, so it's better than an ordinary first-round pick.

I don't think it's worth it though. They can just get him in free agency after next season.

I understand the situation, I just think Minny can get much more for Love... and do we know for sure that the T'Wolves are gonna let him walk?
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

thedangerouskitchen wrote:
fpliii wrote:
thedangerouskitchen wrote:2014 Pau Gasol and a first-round pick for Kevin Love...??

ROFL... Flip Saunders would have to have rocks in his head to make that trade.
Two things though:

1) He's leaving after next season anyway, and people around the league are saying he's going to LA.
2) The Lakers' pick this year will likely be top 5 or 6 in the draft, so it's better than an ordinary first-round pick.

I don't think it's worth it though. They can just get him in free agency after next season.

I understand the situation, I just think Minny can get much more for Love... and do we know for sure that the T'Wolves are gonna let him walk?
How are they going to stop him?
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Max wrote:
fpliii wrote: Two things though:

Can't they give him an extension before he becomes a FA... I dunno, I'm not up on the situation which is why I'm asking.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Max wrote:

Can't they give him an extension before he becomes a FA... I dunno, I'm not up on the situation which is why I'm asking.
Wouldn't he have to agree to the extension ?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Max wrote:

I just read that there's no financial incentive for Love to take the extension. So, if true... another glaring example how NBA fans were bamboozled by the last lockout.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

kobeunderbite wrote:
Max wrote: How are they going to stop him?

Obviously... ^^^

Has Love said he wouldn't sign an extension? Has he said he's leaving Minny, period?

chiefdodgerslakers24
All-Star

Post by chiefdodgerslakers24 »

Lakers first round pick isn't eligible to be traded.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

kobeunderbite wrote:

Obviously... has Love said he wouldn't? Has he said he's leaving Minny, period?

Well, you said "can't they give him an extension" in response to being asked how the Wolves proposed to stop him. So, it didn't seem obvious in regards to you.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

kobeunderbite wrote:

Obviously... ^^^

Has Love said he wouldn't sign an extension? Has he said he's leaving Minny, period?

TDK... he is on record saying he would look at his options if the team doesn't win.

It's Year 6. The team is 25 - 28, about to miss the playoffs for the 10th straight season. The team just signed a bunch of $5M type guys and loses a draft pick next season. There's nowhere for the team to get significantly better if it doesn't happen with the 10th or so pick in the upcoming draft.

The Wolves are a trainwreck of a franchise. There are no legit incentives to stay.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Max wrote: How are they going to stop him?

I just read that there's no financial incentive for Love to take the extension. So, if true... another glaring example how NBA fans were bamboozled by the last lockout.
Would Minny be able to offer him more than any other team... or is this the case of Love wanting to move to a more attractive market? Either way it sucks for you guys if you lose a player like Love for a broken-down Gasol and a first round pick. That being said, I still think other teams can offer much more in return (in a trade).

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

kobeunderbite wrote:
kobeunderbite wrote:

Obviously... has Love said he wouldn't? Has he said he's leaving Minny, period?

Well, you said "can't they give him an extension" in response to being asked how the Wolves proposed to stop him. So, it didn't seem obvious in regards to you.

**rolling eyes**

Whatever...

kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Would Minny be able to offer him more than any other team... or is this the case of Love wanting to move to a more attractive market? Either way it sucks for you guys if you lose a player like Love for a broken-down Gasol and a first round pick. That being said, I still think other teams can offer much more in return (in a trade).
Can you please list two realistic examples of better offers that Minnesota can hope to receive ? From teams that would actually propose these deals, and wouldn't be turned off by the thought that Love wouldn't re-sign to play in their market ?

Thank you.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

As I said during the lockout... the disparity between what a "hometown" team can offer a max guy and what he can get in a preferred location is not enough to convince most guys to stay unless the situation is perfect.

For most, they can leave without blinking... and without much criticism if they handle it right.

And there's always the dreaded sign-and-trade. Eventually, the league will correct the imbalance... but they aren't at that point now. The league is more popular than ever and it's become customary to simply shrug at 15 or so teams who face a distinct disadvantage every year.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

kobeunderbite wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Can you please list two realistic examples of better offers that Minnesota can hope to receive ? From teams that would actually propose these deals, and wouldn't be turned off by the thought that Love wouldn't re-sign to play in their market ?

Thank you.

No, you're right underbite... a broken down Pau Gasol and a first round pick is the best offer out there I'm sure.

:roll:

...Kobe Kids still delusional as ever.

:lol:

Plus, what makes you think Love re-signs with the Lakers when they are poised to be a lottery team themselves for the next several years?? If that's the case Love is better off taking the money and staying in Minnesota.

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

A bit mad. Why would the lakers trade their first round pick for him when its well known he will sign with us?
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

kobeunderbite wrote:

Thank you.

No, you're right underbite... a broken down Pau Gasol and a first round pick is the best offer out there I'm sure

:roll:

Kobe Kids still delusional as ever.

Plus, what makes you think Love re-signs with the Lakers when they are poised to be a lottery team themselves for the next several years?? If that's the case Love is better off taking the money and staying in Minnesota.

The over-abundance of reports stating that Love would like to play for the Lakers may or may not have had something to do with it. I don't know. I guess you probably know better.

Thank you for listing those trade offers. Clearly, the notion that a "broken down" Gasol and a lottery pick being the best offer MIN could receive is a silly one. That must be why it was so easy for you to list those trade scenarios. Again, thanks.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

As I said during the lockout... the disparity between what a "hometown" team can offer a max guy and what he can get in a preferred location is not enough to convince most guys to stay unless the situation is perfect.

For most, they can leave without blinking... and without much criticism if they handle it right.

And there's always the dreaded sign-and-trade. Eventually, the league will correct the imbalance... but they aren't at that point now. The league is more popular than ever and it's become customary to simply shrug at 15 or so teams who face a distinct disadvantage every year.

Yeah I hear you... I actually though the T'Wolves would make some noise this year too.

chiefdodgerslakers24
All-Star

Post by chiefdodgerslakers24 »

wailuaFC wrote:A bit mad. Why would the lakers trade their first round pick for him when its well known he will sign with us?
They can't. The pick isn't tradable because the Lakers traded their 2013 first round pick and 2015 first round pick and you can't trade picks in consecutive years. Lakers would have to acquire other assets in a separate deal or do a 3 way to make it work.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

A little OT, but what about this year's draft. Do the Lakers take a pg, say Exum, if available, or continue the course with Marshall and take the best pick on the board?