WhatIfSports Draft - complete

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Re: WhatIfSports.com Draft, Round 1-NBA MVPs, Phuture's pick

Post by Bush4Ever »

lol
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Bush4Ever wrote:lol
I'm still LOL @ you refusing to fight me.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
I didn't refuse. I just got shit to do tonight and the other times we have tried to set things up, and also the future nights where we might set things up.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Bush4Ever wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
I didn't refuse. I just got shit to do tonight and the other times we have tried to set things up, and also the future nights where we might set things up.
You got me there. Damn.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:Next question. Round 2 might not be possible. There have only been 18 DPOYs and 4 of them are also MVPs (David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin Garnett). If all 4 of those players are taken in round 1, there won't be enough players to go around for round 2. There have only been 20 MVPs post-merger, so it's a very good possibility that this scenario will happen. What's our back-up plan if it does?
Shit, you're right. Well, if that problem happens, we can come up with a solution before we start round 2 tomorrow night.
DPOY or add in the runner up from each year also? I dunno.
How about this: if we don't have enough DPOY players for round 2, you can choose any player that made an all-defensive 1st or 2nd team from 1977 to 2013.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

On a non-lol note, I think we need to have a consistent theme for everyone within a round. Not a mixture of themes, even if they overlap greatly (like All-D and DPOTY) and are only for a few people.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Ghostown42 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
Shit, you're right. Well, if that problem happens, we can come up with a solution before we start round 2 tomorrow night.
How about this: if we don't have enough DPOY players for round 2, you can choose any player that made an all-defensive 1st or 2nd team from 1977 to 2013.
I like that idea. Doesn't even have to include 2nd teamers. Instead of DPOY just make it 1st team NBA All-defensive selections.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

Robceltsfan wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
I like that idea. Doesn't even have to include 2nd teamers. Instead of DPOY just make it 1st team NBA All-defensive selections.
I included 2nd team also because sometimes the DPOY is on 2nd team all-defense.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I'm doing no research. I expect that to be painfully obvious when my team sucks balls...
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I'm doing no research. I expect that to be painfully obvious when my team sucks balls...
I might have to reoptimize my strategy based on this latest rule change.

:(
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I'm doing no research. I expect that to be painfully obvious when my team sucks balls...

D Rose first pick?
Bill Russell

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I can't even figure out the rules.

And I'm bitter bob Cousy is off the table.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I can't even figure out the rules.

And I'm bitter bob Cousy is off the table.
We'll take it round by round.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

Ghostown42 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
So we can choose any player that's made a defensive team off the bat? Or do we have to wait until the last person picks the last remaining DPOY for them to be available?

If it's the latter that sounds a bit unfair.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

l3bron wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:
So we can choose any player that's made a defensive team off the bat? Or do we have to wait until the last person picks the last remaining DPOY for them to be available?

I think it's best to simply change it from DPOY to making the All-Defensive teams.
Last edited by Robceltsfan on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

l3bron wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:

The latter would definitely be unfair. It would have to be the former. We will make the decision right after round 1 ends tonight. If there are still 15 DPOY's available, we will proceed as originally planned. However, if there are only 14 DPOY's available (most likely the case), we will change round 2 from DPOY's to all-defense 1st and 2nd team selections.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:Next question. Round 2 might not be possible. There have only been 18 DPOYs and 4 of them are also MVPs (David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon and Kevin Garnett). If all 4 of those players are taken in round 1, there won't be enough players to go around for round 2. There have only been 20 MVPs post-merger, so it's a very good possibility that this scenario will happen. What's our back-up plan if it does?
Add runner up since 2000.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

Ghostown42 wrote:
l3bron wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:

The latter would definitely be unfair. It would have to be the former. We will make the decision right after round 1 ends tonight. If there are still 15 DPOY's available, we will proceed as originally planned. However, if there are only 14 DPOY's available (most likely the case), we will change round 2 from DPOY's to all-defense 1st and 2nd team selections.
Right.

Can you expand on the "Olympians" criteria? Do they have to be from the US team? Since the Olympics take place in the offseason, would you take the pre-Olympic version of the player or the post-Olympic version of the player?
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Ghostown42
All-Time Great

Post by Ghostown42 »

l3bron wrote:
Ghostown42 wrote:
l3bron wrote: So we can choose any player that's made a defensive team off the bat? Or do we have to wait until the last person picks the last remaining DPOY for them to be available?

Right.

Can you expand on the "Olympians" criteria? Do they have to be from the US team? Since the Olympics take place in the offseason, would you take the pre-Olympic version of the player or the post-Olympic version of the player?
They do not have to be Americans. If Dirk is still available by round 3, you can take him as an Olympian...same with Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, Ginobili, etc. And since the Olympics are in the summer, it's only fair that you can choose the player from the year right before the Olympics or right after. It's your choice. So, if you want to take Chris Paul, you can choose either 2008 or 2009 Chris Paul, even though the Olympics were in '08. Or, you could choose 2012 or 2013 Durant. That would be fine. You could also choose 1985 Sam Perkins, who was a rookie right after the '84 Olympics. Same for other players who became rookies right after the Olympics.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Thanks for the rig job Ghostown :)

Quick question and I bet it was asked before but I haven't read through the threads but does the NBA MVP mean we have to select the year they were MVP or just select a season from a player who has been named MVP in their career? If that makes sense.