Dr. Mike Israetel says “cold plunge” limits muscle growth

Talk about anything here.
ElJorge
All-Star

Re: Dr. Mike Israetel says “cold plunge” limits muscle growth

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:22 pm
ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:17 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:06 pmAnd on a separate note LNS, I was at a spa type retreat for several days in the BC interior just over a week ago, and I did a cryogenic chamber for the first time. I've done a million cold plunges and taken even more cold showers, but that was the first time I did a cryogenic chamber. The temperature gets down to -166 degrees Fahrenheit (-110 Celsius). You go in with a swimsuit, booties, mitts and a cap only. Frankly, it was a bit of a letdown. They only let you stay 3 minutes (I suspect because some people with poor circulation would get frostbite if exposed for any longer, and they have to make it for the lowest common denominator). After 3 minutes, I was definitely cold, but by no stretch was I needing to get out. I would have loved to push it at least 3-5 more minutes, but that wasn't an option. I offered to sign a waiver but no dice. Anyways, it was a cool experience, but 3 minutes just isn't long enough.
That’s pretty insane. Similar to Bush I use cold therapy to recover from my cardio sessions. Today was the first time I’ve heard of cold plunges messing with weight training gains. I know old man Lebron is big on cryotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (not sure what the benefits are of the latter). I’m sure 3 min would’ve been enough time for me in that thing lol… not sure how you tolerate it. Icing my back and sometimes my knees is as much cold therapy as I’ll expose myself to. I’m big into sleep and stress management like Dr Mike touched on.
Me too. I follow pretty much all the protocols for sleep (early sun exposure, no caffeine after noon, daily meditation (well, most days anyway), reduced blue light in the evening, supplementing with magnesium etc... but my sleep could still be better. It is a function of age that as you get older, you get less deep sleep. I typically average enough sleep, but I think too much of it might be light sleep versus deep or REM sleep. I have an Oura ring which is a pretty good sleep tracker and that is what it suggests as well. For the most part, I don't have issues with energy or training, but I'm sure it could be even better if I got more deep sleep. Such is life.
Uhhh… shit man, I just make sure to get enough sleep lol. Early sun exposure? Limiting blue light? That’s not something I’m well versed in at all.

Do you take trt? I’ve always wondered but always forget to ask. I have no desire to try it personally… 43 years old and would much rather stay natural. But I know as the years start to pile up it’s something I might consider once my 50s roll around.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:28 pm
ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:17 pm

That’s pretty insane. Similar to Bush I use cold therapy to recover from my cardio sessions. Today was the first time I’ve heard of cold plunges messing with weight training gains. I know old man Lebron is big on cryotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (not sure what the benefits are of the latter). I’m sure 3 min would’ve been enough time for me in that thing lol… not sure how you tolerate it. Icing my back and sometimes my knees is as much cold therapy as I’ll expose myself to. I’m big into sleep and stress management like Dr Mike touched on.
Me too. I follow pretty much all the protocols for sleep (early sun exposure, no caffeine after noon, daily meditation (well, most days anyway), reduced blue light in the evening, supplementing with magnesium etc... but my sleep could still be better. It is a function of age that as you get older, you get less deep sleep. I typically average enough sleep, but I think too much of it might be light sleep versus deep or REM sleep. I have an Oura ring which is a pretty good sleep tracker and that is what it suggests as well. For the most part, I don't have issues with energy or training, but I'm sure it could be even better if I got more deep sleep. Such is life.
Uhhh… shit man, I just make sure to get enough sleep lol. Early sun exposure? Limiting blue light? That’s not something I’m well versed in at all.

Do you take trt? I’ve always wondered but always forget to ask. I have no desire to try it personally… 43 years old and would much rather stay natural. But I know as the years start to pile up it’s something I might consider once my 50s roll around.
No need yet. My free testosterone levels are still in the 800s. I don't think I would hesitate to do it if they fell to below 400-500 and I felt kind of crappy though. I would probably just do it with a view to just boost it into a range I'm okay with, nothing higher.
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:42 pm
ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:28 pm

No need yet. My free testosterone levels are still in the 800s. I don't think I would hesitate to do it if they fell to below 400-500 and I felt kind of crappy though. I would probably just do it with a view to just boost it into a range I'm okay with, nothing higher.
800 is fantastic holy crap dude. I’ve honestly never had my levels checked… but I have a doc appointment in a few months so maybe I’ll bring it up.
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

Hey and Leoss… my bad for going in on you like that! :suds:

I told myself before my return here that I’d be a good boy and that shit went out the window after a few weeks lol. But I’m positive you’re in better shape than me, or at least look in better shape. I’ve gotten mildly hooked on cardio due to the endorphin rush and I really gotta get my ass back into weight training. I had a great PPL routine 6 days a week but after my hernia surgery I started focusing on cardio. Didn’t like the feeling of getting winded playing tag with my kids, or feeling exhausted at work.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Cold plunge....smh, you're trying too hard
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

elartman1973 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:02 pm Cold plunge....smh, you're trying too hard
Your tits in a cold plunge would be a funny sight. :lol: