Dr. Mike Israetel says “cold plunge” limits muscle growth

Talk about anything here.
ElJorge
All-Star

Dr. Mike Israetel says “cold plunge” limits muscle growth

Post by ElJorge »

Basically… the premise behind weight training is to inflame the muscle to stimulate growth. Cold plunging removes the inflammation and reduces the entire purpose of weight training. This is science backed… not gym bro shit.

Edit: also on the “waste of time for recovery list” is using the sauna and getting a massage.

Apparently the best things for recovery are taking a deload week, proper sleep and proper nutrition. Stress management is also huge.
Last edited by ElJorge on Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Dr. Mike Israetel says “cold plunge” limits muscle growth

Post by Alex_Murphy »

not everything that comes out of Dr. Mike’s mouth is gospel. And this is one of those cases for every research study or report there’s gonna be another one conflicting it. Just like with BC AAs. But in this case, if there is a muscle growth deficiency because of cold plunges, it’s not that significant especially when proper training, diet, and nutrition is what muscle growth hinges on
Last edited by Alex_Murphy on Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I can't do repeated BJJ sessions day-over-day at this point without some kind of cold therapy.

Not that I need to do tons of training at this point, but I would trade off some muscle growth for reduced inflammation and lessened pain.
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

Alex_Murphy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:32 pm not everything that comes out of Dr. Mike’s mouth is gospel. And this is one of those cases for every research study or report there’s gonna be another one conflicting it. Just like with BC AAs. But in this case, if there is a muscle growth deficiency because of cold plunges, it’s not that significant especially proper trading diet, which is what muscle growth hinges on
Last time you tried talking health and fitness you made a fool of yourself. BCAAs are still worthless, my Afghany friend.

Wait… are you still spending your trust fund money on BCAAs?

:mjlaugh:
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:34 pm I can't do repeated BJJ sessions day-over-day at this point without some kind of cold therapy.

Not that I need to do tons of training at this point, but I would trade off some muscle growth for reduced inflammation and lessened pain.
He’s speaking strictly muscle growth. Not sure on the benefits cold plunging has on joint/ligament health. Might be some… might be none. Dr Mike also does a lot of BJJ.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Why would anyone listen to this roided manlet faggot Jew?
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

I've never heard of this gentlemen before but I will look into him and this.

I find health science and exercise science to be interesting.
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

zombiesonics wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:38 pm Why would anyone listen to this roided manlet faggot Jew?
Because he gives full transparency and uses peer reviewed studies, shit skin.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:35 pm
Alex_Murphy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:32 pm not everything that comes out of Dr. Mike’s mouth is gospel. And this is one of those cases for every research study or report there’s gonna be another one conflicting it. Just like with BC AAs. But in this case, if there is a muscle growth deficiency because of cold plunges, it’s not that significant especially proper trading diet, which is what muscle growth hinges on
Last time you tried talking health and fitness you made a fool of yourself. BCAAs are still worthless, my Afghany friend.

Do you wanna compare physiques bro? Put your money where your mouth is
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

Alex_Murphy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:41 pm

I really triggered the fuck outta you, huh Muzzy?

:pjaxlol:
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:42 pm

A little bit, but that’s why I’m asking. Like the proof is in the pudding, bro. If your science, health and fitness is better than mine then it should show in your results. Willing to bet that you’re a lot closer to Artman in terms of physique than any of us here. I mean, you are both Hispanic after all bad genetics. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, my boy.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

There are a ton of benefits from cold plunging. Like most hormetic stressors, it forces the body to adapt to the stressor. It promotes buildup of brown fat (I won't get into the benefits of this, but they are plentiful), releases dopamine, has shown correlation (not causation, since those studies would be extremely costly and difficult to do) with mood and cognition, brain aging, improved microbiome, reduced general inflammation and overall mitochondrial health.

LNS is right that it is also associated in some studies with reduced hypertrophy gains, but it appears that relationship is only true if the cold plunge is done within a few hours of strength training itself. If cold plunging is done more than a few hours after resistance training, that relationship breaks down and it has no effect on muscle or strength gains.

I'm not sure about sauna for recovery. That isn't something I've seen anything on either pro or con. However, the benefits or regular sauna (or other heat exposures like steams) are very well documented and studied. They include significant increases in longevity, reduced cardio vascular events and significant reductions in blood pressure, reduced incidence of dementia and large increases in release of HGH as well as improved mitochondrial function. Sauna is better studied that cold plunging, with most of the studies having been done in Finland where the practice is much more common. The benefits of sauna are much less conjecture and well supported by research.

And on a separate note LNS, I was at a spa type retreat for several days in the BC interior just over a week ago, and I did a cryogenic chamber for the first time. I've done a million cold plunges and taken even more cold showers, but that was the first time I did a cryogenic chamber. The temperature gets down to -166 degrees Fahrenheit (-110 Celsius). You go in with a swimsuit, booties, mitts and a cap only. Frankly, it was a bit of a letdown. They only let you stay 3 minutes (I suspect because some people with poor circulation would get frostbite if exposed for any longer, and they have to make it for the lowest common denominator). After 3 minutes, I was definitely cold, but by no stretch was I needing to get out. I would have loved to push it at least 3-5 more minutes, but that wasn't an option. I offered to sign a waiver but no dice. Anyways, it was a cool experience, but 3 minutes just isn't long enough.
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

Alex_Murphy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:00 pm

A little bit, but that’s why I’m asking. Like the proof is in the pudding, bro. If your science, health and fitness is better than mine then it should show in your results. Willing to bet that you’re a lot closer to Artman in terms of physique than any of us here. I mean, you are both Hispanic after all bad genetics. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, my boy.
I mean… if we’re gonna bring Arty into this I’ve always considered you the Afghany version of Artman, no troll. You have no wife, no kids, and kinda just float around looking for your next high. Shit… at least Arty actually works lol. You’ve been living off your Jiddi’s trust fund since we’ve been posting. Maybe try to find a purpose in life?
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:06 pm There are a ton of benefits from cold plunging. Like most hormetic stressors, it forces the body to adapt to the stressor. It promotes buildup of brown fat (I won't get into the benefits of this, but they are plentiful), releases dopamine, has shown correlation (not causation, since those studies would be extremely costly and difficult to do) with mood and cognition, brain aging, improved microbiome, reduced general inflammation and overall mitochondrial health.

LNS is right that it is also associated in some studies with reduced hypertrophy gains, but it appears that relationship is only true if the cold plunge is done within a few hours of strength training itself. If cold plunging is done more than a few hours after resistance training, that relationship breaks down and it has no effect on muscle or strength gains.

I'm not sure about sauna for recovery. That isn't something I've seen anything on either pro or con. However, the benefits or regular sauna (or other heat exposures like steams) are very well documented and studied. They include significant increases in longevity, reduced cardio vascular events and significant reductions in blood pressure, reduced incidence of dementia and large increases in release of HGH as well as improved mitochondrial function. Sauna is better studied that cold plunging, with most of the studies having been done in Finland where the practice is much more common. The benefits of sauna are much less conjecture and well supported by research.

And on a separate note LNS, I was at a spa type retreat for several days in the BC interior just over a week ago, and I did a cryogenic chamber for the first time. I've done a million cold plunges and taken even more cold showers, but that was the first time I did a cryogenic chamber. The temperature gets down to -166 degrees Fahrenheit (-110 Celsius). You go in with a swimsuit, booties, mitts and a cap only. Frankly, it was a bit of a letdown. They only let you stay 3 minutes (I suspect because some people with poor circulation would get frostbite if exposed for any longer, and they have to make it for the lowest common denominator). After 3 minutes, I was definitely cold, but by no stretch was I needing to get out. I would have loved to push it at least 3-5 more minutes, but that wasn't an option. I offered to sign a waiver but no dice. Anyways, it was a cool experience, but 3 minutes just isn't long enough.
I understand the caveat you’re trying to illustrate but I thought it was common sense for weight lifters and strength trainers to embrace soreness after a workout. That even the slightest heat or cold therapy can disrupt or limit muscle growth and recovery.

But outside of the cautionary tale I’d also advise not to cold plunge every day and to use in moderation and supplement other recovery regimens …

Dr Mike btw is like 4’11. On a good day.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:09 pm
Alex_Murphy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:00 pm

I mean… if we’re gonna bring Arty into this I’ve always considered you the Afghany version of Artman, no troll. You have no wife, no kids, and kinda just float around looking for your next high. Shit… at least Arty actually works lol. You’ve been living off your Jiddi’s trust fund since we’ve been posting. Maybe try to find a purpose in life?
Im Italian and my ancestors are from Turin Italy. Are you stupid or something?
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

I haven't watched the video, but I would also caution extrapolating anything that works for someone on steroids versus someone who trains naturally. Steroids greatly enhances your body's ability to recover, so the protocols for someone on steroids could be very different from someone training naturally.
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:14 pm I haven't watched the video, but I would also caution extrapolating anything that works for someone on steroids versus someone who trains naturally. Steroids greatly enhances your body's ability to recover, so the protocols for someone on steroids could be very different from someone training naturally.
I haven’t watched the video either … not wasting my time on that lol
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:06 pmAnd on a separate note LNS, I was at a spa type retreat for several days in the BC interior just over a week ago, and I did a cryogenic chamber for the first time. I've done a million cold plunges and taken even more cold showers, but that was the first time I did a cryogenic chamber. The temperature gets down to -166 degrees Fahrenheit (-110 Celsius). You go in with a swimsuit, booties, mitts and a cap only. Frankly, it was a bit of a letdown. They only let you stay 3 minutes (I suspect because some people with poor circulation would get frostbite if exposed for any longer, and they have to make it for the lowest common denominator). After 3 minutes, I was definitely cold, but by no stretch was I needing to get out. I would have loved to push it at least 3-5 more minutes, but that wasn't an option. I offered to sign a waiver but no dice. Anyways, it was a cool experience, but 3 minutes just isn't long enough.
That’s pretty insane. Similar to Bush I use cold therapy to recover from my cardio sessions. Today was the first time I’ve heard of cold plunges messing with weight training gains. I know old man Lebron is big on cryotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (not sure what the benefits are of the latter). I’m sure 3 min would’ve been enough time for me in that thing lol… not sure how you tolerate it. Icing my back and sometimes my knees is as much cold therapy as I’ll expose myself to. I’m big into sleep and stress management like Dr Mike touched on.
ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:14 pm I haven't watched the video, but I would also caution extrapolating anything that works for someone on steroids versus someone who trains naturally. Steroids greatly enhances your body's ability to recover, so the protocols for someone on steroids could be very different from someone training naturally.
I don’t really weight train as often as I should TBH. I’ll occasionally watch his vids but it’s not a regular thing for me. The rowing machine coupled with the Jacob’s Ladder give me a good amount of resistance training, and I’ll try to squeeze in a full body weight training session every Thursday. And yes… Dr Mike has admitted his gear use, and given detailed breakdowns on the pros and cons (crippling anxiety was one of the cons he discussed). Usually when he has on a guest it’s to discuss peer reviewed research… so there’s no bro science or “this only works cuz I’m a roid head” moments from him.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

ElJorge wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:17 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:06 pmAnd on a separate note LNS, I was at a spa type retreat for several days in the BC interior just over a week ago, and I did a cryogenic chamber for the first time. I've done a million cold plunges and taken even more cold showers, but that was the first time I did a cryogenic chamber. The temperature gets down to -166 degrees Fahrenheit (-110 Celsius). You go in with a swimsuit, booties, mitts and a cap only. Frankly, it was a bit of a letdown. They only let you stay 3 minutes (I suspect because some people with poor circulation would get frostbite if exposed for any longer, and they have to make it for the lowest common denominator). After 3 minutes, I was definitely cold, but by no stretch was I needing to get out. I would have loved to push it at least 3-5 more minutes, but that wasn't an option. I offered to sign a waiver but no dice. Anyways, it was a cool experience, but 3 minutes just isn't long enough.
That’s pretty insane. Similar to Bush I use cold therapy to recover from my cardio sessions. Today was the first time I’ve heard of cold plunges messing with weight training gains. I know old man Lebron is big on cryotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (not sure what the benefits are of the latter). I’m sure 3 min would’ve been enough time for me in that thing lol… not sure how you tolerate it. Icing my back and sometimes my knees is as much cold therapy as I’ll expose myself to. I’m big into sleep and stress management like Dr Mike touched on.
Me too. I follow pretty much all the protocols for sleep (early sun exposure, no caffeine after noon, daily meditation (well, most days anyway), reduced blue light in the evening, supplementing with magnesium etc... but my sleep could still be better. It is a function of age that as you get older, you get less deep sleep. I typically average enough sleep, but I think too much of it might be light sleep versus deep or REM sleep. I have an Oura ring which is a pretty good sleep tracker and that is what it suggests as well. For the most part, I don't have issues with energy or training, but I'm sure it could be even better if I got more deep sleep. Such is life.