Now that the Splash Brothers are done...

Talk about anything here.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Now that the Splash Brothers are done...

Post by PhutureDynasty »

... where do they rank amongst the greatest backcourts ever?

I was gonna list some of their accomplishments together but y'all know what they've done. Two of the greatest shooters on one team. Four rings. Etc. Etc.

What say you?
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Re: Now that the Splash Brothers are done...

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

probably the greatest back court ever but because of the quality teams that Dumars and Isaiah faced i.e Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Trailblazers, they might get it.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

If you don't significantly era adjust, number 1 and with a good margin.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

How often is a positional GOAT (or near GOAT) paired with a strong all-star within the more general position at the same time?

Magic was paired with B-Scott.
Jordan was paired with non-stars.
Isiah/Dumars.
West/Goodrich for a period (?)
Cousy/Jones
Parker/Manu

That 2015-2019 period showed the best backcourt in history, IMO.

Isiah and Dumars were both roughly top 15 in the MVP vote when they won titles. Dumars was probably a good era-adjusted match for Klay, but Isiah wasn't for Curry.

The opposite for LA. Magic could match Curry, but I'm less sure of B-Scott vs. Klay.

That's not to mention how synergistic they were. 1+1 = more than 2 in their case.
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

klay's 37 point in a quarter, and 60 points in 29 minutes are epic. the guy has had a ridiculous basketball peak.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

In terms of Shooting/Scoring ability they're #1... factoring in Defense, Rebounding, Playmaking and overall all-around play I'll take Isiah/Dumars.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:10 pm How often is a positional GOAT (or near GOAT) paired with a strong all-star within the more general position at the same time?

Magic was paired with B-Scott.
Jordan was paired with non-stars.
Isiah/Dumars.
West/Goodrich for a period (?)
Cousy/Jones
Parker/Manu

That 2015-2019 period showed the best backcourt in history, IMO.

Isiah and Dumars were both roughly top 15 in the MVP vote when they won titles. Dumars was probably a good era-adjusted match for Klay, but Isiah wasn't for Curry.

The opposite for LA. Magic could match Curry, but I'm less sure of B-Scott vs. Klay.

That's not to mention how synergistic they were. 1+1 = more than 2 in their case.
This is how I feel.

They're definitely the GOAT that I was able to consistently watch but I didn't get to watch any of Thomas/Dumars.

I also assume that Bob Cousy/Sam Jones are a good throwback backcourt that deserve mention.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:21 pm In terms of Shooting/Scoring ability they're #1... factoring in Defense, Rebounding, Playmaking and overall all-around play I'll take Isiah/Dumars.
What a stupid take. Shocking.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:26 pm
This is how I feel.

They're definitely the GOAT that I was able to consistently watch but I didn't get to watch any of Thomas/Dumars.
My view might be colored somewhat by my opinion Isiah was somewhat overrated as an impact player, at least during the period in question. Also, their respective peaks/best years didn't precisely overlap. They would get a little screwed by timing, whereas the Splash Brothers benefited from it.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Easily, the best shooting and scoring backcourt duo in league history. As far as their place in NBA history, I don't see a backcourt duo that holds up to Steph and Klay, atleast since Dumars and Thomas.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

4 rings without an elite big is a lot. It's a no-brainer

it's puzzling how they fell off so hard and were trash last year. Yes they're older, but id have predicted at least 4 seed and second round. Shooting is usually the last thing to go, but Klay in particular can no longer shoot. I wonder if their vision has deteriorated and would benefit from Lasik
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Uncontroversial wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:49 pm 4 rings without an elite big is a lot. It's a no-brainer

it's puzzling how they fell off so hard and were trash last year. Yes they're older, but id have predicted at least 4 seed and second round. Shooting is usually the last thing to go, but Klay in particular can no longer shoot. I wonder if their vision has deteriorated and would benefit from Lasik
Is a big to you only a 5 or do you mean a traditional center?

Because Draymond was certainly a really good new school power forward.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly offered Klay Thompson $20M a year AND D'Angelo Russell to the Golden State Warriors via a sign-and-trade!

The Warriors said no 😳

(via Chris Haynes)
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

ElJorge
All-Star

Post by ElJorge »

elartman1973 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:24 pm The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly offered Klay Thompson $20M a year AND D'Angelo Russell to the Golden State Warriors via a sign-and-trade!

The Warriors said no 😳

(via Chris Haynes)
Warriors did us a favor in that case. Klay averaged the same points but on a worse 3pt%, dished out half the assists, and his defense is garbage now.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Just two days ago DLo exercised his option to return to LA, now the Lakers are dangling him as a trade add-on lol.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:21 pm In terms of Shooting/Scoring ability they're #1... factoring in Defense, Rebounding, Playmaking and overall all-around play I'll take Isiah/Dumars.
lol why would you include playmaking in the list of things they didn’t do well?
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

Klay should get his mojo back. No Draymond green antics plus he has Olympic basketball for the Bahamas which will force him to lead.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

I'll miss their elevator doors. Zeke/Joe D ever run something similar?
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

AtiliusRegulus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:48 pm Klay should get his mojo back. No Draymond green antics plus he has Olympic basketball for the Bahamas which will force him to lead.
I think physically, he might be a lot more limited now. I hope he bounces back bigly, but I doubt it. Smart move by my Magic not to overpay as he hits the downside of his career.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:30 pm
What a stupid take. Shocking.
You're a stupid man, meatball... so your opinion is worthless.

:asskicking:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."