We lost The Logo. Jerry West gone at 86...

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Re: We lost The Logo. Jerry West gone at 86...

Post by Bush4Ever. »

One of the greatest and best overall "basketball guys" ever,

RIP Mr. West.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:28 pm
lettherebehouse wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:10 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:06 pm
You still have the LeGOAT on your team along with AD which is not a bad position to be in. Tons of NBA teams would trade positions.

I'm with you guys on being frustrated Boston is probably putting it together though and losing Jerry sucks for all NBA fans.

You still think LeHype & AD are gonna move the needle in the west?

:stephena:
That's fair.

I don't think you're as far away as you think though. Ancient LeBron isn't a bad player to have. Man had a near career 3 point shooting season this year.

Even without LeBron you have Davis who is probably a top 12 player at absolute worst if healthy. Solid help including the White Mamba and DLo. The roster isn't that bad.

You don't think the Lakers are going to try and make moves to add another piece this off-season?

You also made the WCF last season, no?

WCF’s 2 seasons ago means nothing in dog years. With all due respect to LeGoat tho, it’s not his spotting up from 3 that made him the GOAT we know him as today. He’s still very fast in transition, superior court vision, and can still take it to the rack when he wants. I’d rather he still do that and use his satellites behind the 3 to do their thing there. We haven’t really had reliability in those spots in most of Lebron’s seasons in LA, or so it seems.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

In the summer of 2017, just as West was leaving the Warriors and deciding what would come next, he said on “The Dan Patrick Show” that he would have liked to have ended his NBA career where it began — with the Lakers. Instead, they showed no interest in bringing him aboard, and the Clippers, in turn, reaped the benefits when he came their way.Two summers later, West’s oldest son, Ryan, parted ways with the Lakers after spending a decade in a variety of scouting roles (he now works for the Detroit Pistons). West declined to discuss the part Ryan played in the Lakers’ dynamic in the interview with The Athletic but told NBA.com in October that he believes he’s the reason his son was let go.

Then in April, after Jeanie Buss left West off her list of top five important Lakers of all time on the “All The Smoke” podcast, West fired back on the “Hoop Du Jour” podcast by calling it “one of the most offensive things I’ve ever heard in my life.” Buss had named Abdul-Jabbar, Kobe, Magic, James and her ex-fiancé and Lakers legend Phil Jackson. Back and forth, in the headlines and the hallways, the acrimony just kept building.

For West, though, the final straw came when the Lakers repealed the lifetime season tickets he said the late Dr. Buss had promised him so many years ago. Without any warning or explanation, his wife, Karen, received a text message from the Lakers last season informing her that the family’s seats for their games would no longer be granted.

“It was a cold phone text to my wife,” West recalled. “No one had the nerve to call me,

:biggums:
ElJorge
Role Player

Post by ElJorge »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:51 pm Instead, they showed no interest in bringing him aboard, and the Clippers, in turn, reaped the benefits when he came their way.
:stephena:
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Possibly the greatest NBAer ever.
Player, coach, GM, consultant, logo
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

West became the logo when he was still in the league.

Why did he leave the Lakers again after the 2000 title?
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Wow... what a bummer.

27/6/7 career stats, and would easily own at least a couple more Championships/Finals MVP worthy performances if he didn't have to face those Celtics teams with a WHOPPING 5-6-7-8 HOFERS on their roster every single year (while The Logo played alongside just 1-2 with the Lakers YET still managed to take Boston to 7 games 3-4 different times from 1961-69).

I'd take West over LeFraud any day of the week. RIP Mr. Clutch.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

Lakers suck.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Alex_Murphy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:00 am Lakers suck.
uncertified
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

elmouse03 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:55 pm West became the logo when he was still in the league.

Why did he leave the Lakers again after the 2000 title?

Because he was upset about Jeanie sleeping with Phil
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:49 pm Wow... what a bummer.

27/6/7 career stats, and would easily own at least a couple more Championships/Finals MVP worthy performances if he didn't have to face those Celtics teams with a WHOPPING 5-6-7-8 HOFERS on their roster every single year (while The Logo played alongside just 1-2 with the Lakers YET still managed to take Boston to 7 games 3-4 different times from 1961-69).

You live in a fantasy land. He had the better team on more than a few occasions and still lost to Russell. Facts are facts.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:51 pm In the summer of 2017, just as West was leaving the Warriors and deciding what would come next, he said on “The Dan Patrick Show” that he would have liked to have ended his NBA career where it began — with the Lakers. Instead, they showed no interest in bringing him aboard, and the Clippers, in turn, reaped the benefits when he came their way.Two summers later, West’s oldest son, Ryan, parted ways with the Lakers after spending a decade in a variety of scouting roles (he now works for the Detroit Pistons). West declined to discuss the part Ryan played in the Lakers’ dynamic in the interview with The Athletic but told NBA.com in October that he believes he’s the reason his son was let go.

Then in April, after Jeanie Buss left West off her list of top five important Lakers of all time on the “All The Smoke” podcast, West fired back on the “Hoop Du Jour” podcast by calling it “one of the most offensive things I’ve ever heard in my life.” Buss had named Abdul-Jabbar, Kobe, Magic, James and her ex-fiancé and Lakers legend Phil Jackson. Back and forth, in the headlines and the hallways, the acrimony just kept building.

For West, though, the final straw came when the Lakers repealed the lifetime season tickets he said the late Dr. Buss had promised him so many years ago. Without any warning or explanation, his wife, Karen, received a text message from the Lakers last season informing her that the family’s seats for their games would no longer be granted.

“It was a cold phone text to my wife,” West recalled. “No one had the nerve to call me,

Ngl I didn’t even want to be a Laker fan while reading this. But now that i’m done reading and moved onto the commentary part, i’m over it.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:02 am

You live in a fantasy land. He had the better team on more than a few occasions and still lost to Russell. Facts are facts.

1969 is the only year you could argue the talent between the two teams was equal... and that series went 7 games with Boston squeaking out a 2-point win thanks to Wilt's atrocious 4 of 13 FT shooting in Game 7, while Mr. Clutch (not your over-rated hero Bill Russell) took home Finals MVP in a losing effort!!

Talk about a black-eye on your resume... imagine Jordan winning the Championship and a player from the other team wins FInals MVP.

:lol: :roll: :L

Anyway, other than 69 those Celtics were stacked with more talent (most seasons MUCH more talent) than what West had around him.

Fantasy land is you thinking that's not true, that Russell was a one-man team (lolol) when the FACT is no player in NBA history (aside from LeFraud) played alongside more HOF / All Star level talent than Russell.

Put it to rest, already... you can't change history just because it doesn't fit your narrative.

:L
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:18 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:02 am

1969 is the only year you could argue the talent between the two teams was equal... and that series went 7 games with Boston squeaking out a 2-point win thanks to Wilt's atrocious 4 of 13 FT shooting in Game 7, while Mr. Clutch (not your over-rated hero Bill Russell) took home Finals MVP in a losing effort!!

Talk about a black-eye on your resume... imagine Jordan winning the Championship and a player from the other team wins FInals MVP.

:lol: :roll: :L

Anyway, other than 69 those Celtics were stacked with more talent (most seasons MUCH more talent) than what West had around him.

Fantasy land is you thinking that's not true, that Russell was a one-man team (lolol) when the FACT is no player in NBA history (aside from LeFraud) played alongside more HOF / All Star level talent than Russell.

Put it to rest, already... you can't change history just because it doesn't fit your narrative.

:L
I don't have a narrative TDK. I don't give a fat rat's ass about Russell. You, on the other hand, would suck MJ's cock on the city hall steps.

Facts are Russell's team were great mostly because of Russell. Cousy and Sharman couldn't win shit without him. They retired, the titles kept coming. He got KC Jones into the HOF, which is proof of GOATness right there! The only guy who played with him that won a ring without Russell was Hondo, and that was years later on a stacked team. No others even sniffed a final. The 5 MVPs in an era with Wilt, West, Baylor etc... that the players voted on. All those "stacked" teams had below average offenses and yet won titles because they had the number 1 defense in the league year after year after year, anchored by Russell, the greatest defensive player of all time by a wide margin.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

lettherebehouse wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:52 pm
Havlicekstealsit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:51 pm In the summer of 2017, just as West was leaving the Warriors and deciding what would come next, he said on “The Dan Patrick Show” that he would have liked to have ended his NBA career where it began — with the Lakers. Instead, they showed no interest in bringing him aboard, and the Clippers, in turn, reaped the benefits when he came their way.Two summers later, West’s oldest son, Ryan, parted ways with the Lakers after spending a decade in a variety of scouting roles (he now works for the Detroit Pistons). West declined to discuss the part Ryan played in the Lakers’ dynamic in the interview with The Athletic but told NBA.com in October that he believes he’s the reason his son was let go.

Ngl I didn’t even want to be a Laker fan while reading this. But now that i’m done reading and moved onto the commentary part, i’m over it.

That is kind of bad but doesn't the NBA have something like MLB anyway where any pro with 10 years experience is entitled to free tix to any game?

Honestly that mostly sounds like West just being sour grapes. Jeanie slept with every guy on her top-5 Lakers list, there just wasn't any room for Jerry, nothing personal. Season tickets is no big deal at all. And so he's mad his dipshit son's nepotism train ride got cut short? Jerry West sounds like a petty diva.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

kobeunderbite wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:38 pm

That is kind of bad but doesn't the NBA have something like MLB anyway where any pro with 10 years experience is entitled to free tix to any game?

Honestly that mostly sounds like West just being sour grapes. Jeanie slept with every guy on her top-5 Lakers list, there just wasn't any room for Jerry, nothing personal. Season tickets is no big deal at all. And so he's mad his dipshit son's nepotism train ride got cut short? Jerry West sounds like a petty diva.
Leaving West off the Top 5 Laker list in favor of Lebron is inexcusable though. That’s as slap in the face as it gets.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

lettherebehouse wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:43 pm

Leaving West off the Top 5 Laker list in favor of Lebron is inexcusable though. That’s as slap in the face as it gets.

It's bad but it's kind of like telling your current fuck that they're the most beautiful girl in the world. We know she doesn't mean it but feels like she has to say it. Do you think Lou Gehrig would have had a shit fit if Steinbrenner left him off his Yankees list in the 00s?
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

kobeunderbite wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:52 pm
lettherebehouse wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:43 pm

It's bad but it's kind of like telling your current fuck that they're the most beautiful girl in the world. We know she doesn't mean it but feels like she has to say it. Do you think Lou Gehrig would have had a shit fit if Steinbrenner left him off his Yankees list in the 00s?

I see your valid point but still… but still…
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Starter

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

There is no universe where West isn't a top 5 Laker of all time. Maybe in another generation or two, but definitely not yet.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:17 pm There is no universe where West isn't a top 5 Laker of all time. Maybe in another generation or two, but definitely not yet.
Probably the definitive top 4 is (in no order)...

Kobe
Magic
West
Kareem

Then you have players like Shaq, Wilt, Baylor, LeBron, Worthy, etc.