Why are you a fan of X team?

Talk about anything here.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Re: Why are you a fan of X team?

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

First favorite team was the Montreal Canadiens. My dad was a huge fan and I idolized my dad. I remember crying as a little boy one year when the Habs missed the playoffs on the last game of the season. Played a lot of hockey growing up and loved it. Reasonably good at it but took a physical beating and eventually stopped playing competitively in my mid-teens.

I've told the hoops story several times. We got Buffalo cable in my hometown in Northern Ontario around 1970 or 1971. All Buffalo Braves home games were on. Fell in love with the game and first favorite player was Randy Smith. Sixers were on a lot of national telecasts later on and Dr. J captured my imagination.

WGN carried all the Bulls game and like most, became a huge MJ and Bulls fan. When he retired, that went out the window. I had moved to Vancouver at the time and the Grizzlies became it for me. I went to a ton of games. You could buy front row courtside tickets for $300. Crazy cheap in hindsight. They've teased me a few times, but they've mostly been lovable losers. Sometimes, not so lovable.

I lost interest in hockey in the mid to late 90s in the clutch and grab era. Found it again after the strike and rule changes allowed skill to be showcased. Lived in Calgary for almost 25 years now, so my loyalties are split between the Flames and the Canadiens.

In baseball, I was a huge Montreal Expos fan. After they moved, I slowly warmed up to the Blue Jays. Full fledged fan now.

More a bandwagon guy in the NFL. I was a big Montana fan and then a big Brady fan. I can watch most any NFL game even without an allegiance.

I think most team sports are better than they have ever been. Hoops is infinitely better as is hockey. I think the improved play in football and baseball is more subtle.

But watching sports will always be a favorite time waster for me.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 pm We got Buffalo cable in my hometown in Northern Ontario around 1970 or 1971. All Buffalo Braves home games were on. Fell in love with the game and first favorite player was Randy Smith.
I went to college in Buffalo briefly before transferring. Saw a few Sabres games at the old Aud where the Braves played too (they were long gone by then though). What channels were you getting up there? WKBW & WGRZ I remember, which are ABC & NBC affiliates.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:20 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 pm We got Buffalo cable in my hometown in Northern Ontario around 1970 or 1971. All Buffalo Braves home games were on. Fell in love with the game and first favorite player was Randy Smith.
I went to college in Buffalo briefly before transferring. Saw a few Sabres games at the old Aud where the Braves played too (they were long gone by then though). What channels were you getting up there? WKBW & WGRZ I remember, which are ABC & NBC affiliates.
Sorry. No hope I could remember that.

Not sure when you were a Sabres fan, but they had a soft spot in my heart. Gilbert Perrault, Rick Martin and Renee Robert (the French Connection Line) were uber exciting. I think Rick Jeanerette was the too excited voice of the Sabres back then.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 pm First favorite team was the Montreal Canadiens. My dad was a huge fan and I idolized my dad. I remember crying as a little boy one year when the Habs missed the playoffs on the last game of the season. Played a lot of hockey growing up and loved it. Reasonably good at it but took a physical beating and eventually stopped playing competitively in my mid-teens.

I've told the hoops story several times. We got Buffalo cable in my hometown in Northern Ontario around 1970 or 1971. All Buffalo Braves home games were on. Fell in love with the game and first favorite player was Randy Smith. Sixers were on a lot of national telecasts later on and Dr. J captured my imagination.

WGN carried all the Bulls game and like most, became a huge MJ and Bulls fan. When he retired, that went out the window. I had moved to Vancouver at the time and the Grizzlies became it for me. I went to a ton of games. You could buy front row courtside tickets for $300. Crazy cheap in hindsight. They've teased me a few times, but they've mostly been lovable losers. Sometimes, not so lovable.

I lost interest in hockey in the mid to late 90s in the clutch and grab era. Found it again after the strike and rule changes allowed skill to be showcased. Lived in Calgary for almost 25 years now, so my loyalties are split between the Flames and the Canadiens.

In baseball, I was a huge Montreal Expos fan. After they moved, I slowly warmed up to the Blue Jays. Full fledged fan now.

More a bandwagon guy in the NFL. I was a big Montana fan and then a big Brady fan. I can watch most any NFL game even without an allegiance.

I think most team sports are better than they have ever been. Hoops is infinitely better as is hockey. I think the improved play in football and baseball is more subtle.

Amazing how loyal I have been to a state I left 50 years ago. All the heartache. Several years ago I finally began to be able to watch teams that did not have the name Minnesota in it. I have watched more NBA this year than any season or longer. Hockey will aways be number 1, the NBA is rising. WGN was the reason for the Bulls. LOL. I know, my punctuation sucks, as usual. :suds:
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Da Stars. wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:30 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 pm First favorite team was the Montreal Canadiens. My dad was a huge fan and I idolized my dad. I remember crying as a little boy one year when the Habs missed the playoffs on the last game of the season. Played a lot of hockey growing up and loved it. Reasonably good at it but took a physical beating and eventually stopped playing competitively in my mid-teens.

Amazing how loyal I have been to a state I left 50 years ago. All the heartache. Several years ago I finally began to be able to watch teams that did not have the name Minnesota in it. I have watched more NBA this year than any season or longer. Hockey will aways be number 1, the NBA is rising. WGN was the reason for the Bulls. LOL. I know, my punctuation sucks, as usual. :suds:
I feel for you, especially with the Vikings. 0-4 like the Buffalo Bill's is hard. Remember a great Marv Levy quote (head coach of said Buffalo Bills). He was asked before a game late in the season, if this was a 'must win' game. Marv, bless his soul and with a deadpan look said: "WW2 was a must win. This is a football game."

Twins gave you some joy now and again.

I am rooting hard for your Stars this year. MacDavid can wait another year.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Marv Levy is 98 goddamn years old. Bless that man.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:34 pm Marv Levy is 98 goddamn years old. Bless that man.
Extremely easy man to admire for many reasons.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

Strictly because my dad was a Larry Bird Celtics fan.

I remember in 1994, I had to buy school supplies for the year, and we had maybe seven subjects, and one of the things we had to provide was a folder for every subject. K-Mart (?) had folders that were branded with different superstar basketball players for the upcoming year. So I bought seven different ones, a different star for each subject. My dad got annoyed none of them were Celtics. My mom said something to the effect of "maybe he'll have his own team", which caused my dad to start trash talking my selections, AG-style.

IIRC, I don't even think they had placed any (94) Celtics on a folder. The only one with a name was Parish, who was washed at that point.
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:27 pm
Havlicekstealsit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:20 pm
Sorry. No hope I could remember that.

Not sure when you were a Sabres fan, but they had a soft spot in my heart. Gilbert Perrault, Rick Martin and Renee Robert (the French Connection Line) were uber exciting. I think Rick Jeanerette was the too excited voice of the Sabres back then.
1970 or 71 when Gilbert Perrault won Rookie of the year. As I recall is was close for a while with the North Stars Jude Druin. The French connection was fun to watch, if they were not playing against your team.
Odogg
Hall of Famer

Post by Odogg »

Born and raised in Santa Monica which is landlocked by Los Angeles.
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

lettherebehouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:38 am Lakers - locality/Magic/Kobe

Redskins - locality (fell in love with them at early age before family moved from Maryland to Cali

Angels - locality

Oilers - dug the uniforms and Connor McDavid. Go-to team in NHL2024 on Playstation

Fever - Caitlyn Clark haters

USC - locality/Todd Marinovich/Leinart/Bush

Manny Pacquiao - asian/anti-Floyd

BJ Penn - sexy mfer

Ricky Fowler - locality/jap-american/cool orange puma gear

Lonzo - Magician on the court/cool ass dude off court

LOL.