Why are you a fan of X team?

Talk about anything here.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Why are you a fan of X team?

Post by wailuaFC »

What made you a fan of the teams you cheer for? Geographical or did you like a player on the team? Would your allegiances and biases change if you were born somewhere else?
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Re: Why are you a fan of X team?

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Geographically I am close to Philadelphia.

Allen Iverson in the 01 Finals is my first basketball memory and he became my favorite player immediately.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 pm Geographically I am close to Philadelphia.

Allen Iverson in the 01 Finals is my first basketball memory and he became my favorite player immediately.
Incredibly likable player, pretty much the anti Shaq. Gives nothing but love to everyone who can after him.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

Geography. Being in Detroit, 99% of everyone in the area is a fan of the Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings and you don't think anything of it. If it's Sunday, and you go to the bar, you only see people in Lions gear. You don't see a bunch of jerseys from other teams. The only conflict you typically get is are you a Michigan fan or a Michigan State fan?

Then I moved to Virginia and here most people just pick a team. You see people in all kinds of jerseys and T-shirts. I thought most would root for the Redskins but that doesn't seem to be the case. Cowboys are more popular here. See lots of Ravens, Steelers, Seattle, Giants, etc. People would just choose a team that was winning at the time they became a fan and adopt them. If you go to a bar here on a Sunday, you'll see 15 different jerseys.

Now if I'm ever out and about in any state and see people wearing Detroit gear, I know they are from the Detroit area. The Red Wings might be the only Detroit team that collected out of state fans since they were really good for a 25 year period.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

wailuaFC wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:59 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 pm Geographically I am close to Philadelphia.

Incredibly likable player, pretty much the anti Shaq. Gives nothing but love to everyone who can after him.
Agreed. I don't understand why a lot of former players feel the need to act like the league has become worse. It certainly hasn't.

Similar to Iverson, Larry Legend is also very complimentary of today's game. I respect that.

You have Barkley and Shaq who act like today's league is awful and too reliant on threes.

Then on the opposite spectrum you have Gilbert Arenas who acts like every player from the 80s and 90s was overrated.

Both sides are incredibly misguided, biased, and wrong.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

manchild98 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:38 pm Geography. Being in Detroit, 99% of everyone in the area is a fan of the Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings and you don't think anything of it. If it's Sunday, and you go to the bar, you only see people in Lions gear. You don't see a bunch of jerseys from other teams. The only conflict you typically get is are you a Michigan fan or a Michigan State fan?

Then I moved to Virginia and here most people just pick a team. You see people in all kinds of jerseys and T-shirts. I thought most would root for the Redskins but that doesn't seem to be the case. Cowboys are more popular here. See lots of Ravens, Steelers, Seattle, Giants, etc. People would just choose a team that was winning at the time they became a fan and adopt them. If you go to a bar here on a Sunday, you'll see 15 different jerseys.

Now if I'm ever out and about in any state and see people wearing Detroit gear, I know they are from the Detroit area. The Red Wings might be the only Detroit team that collected out of state fans since they were really good for a 25 year period.
Out here our fandom is so varied, but one of the guys I’ve known since childhood became an over the top lions fan once dan Campbell went there. The guy has lions putter grips, stickers on his truck, and send us lion propaganda constantly. Almost like a born again Christian with how much he chants and tries to show off his new love.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

TV....almost always TV.

No pro team within 3 hours of us growing up, so whoever I could watch regularly on TV, that's who I liked. The only mild exception is the Celtics, but my dad grew up a Celtics fan and my first couple NBA games I ever saw live were Celtics/Bullets matchups in the late 80's/early 90's. Plus, they were almost always featured on TV at that time. Otherwise....I would have grown up a Bullets fan. YUCK...lol.

Everyone else is TV related.

Orioles
Redskins
Capitals
Duke basketball
Notre Dame football
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

Growing up in the 90s in the Chicago suburbs there was really no choice but to be a Bulls fan. Those who weren’t were rightfully bullied and tortured unrelentingly to the point they developed life long self esteem issues.

Sammy Sosa, Kerry Wood, and the home run race of 98 made me a Cubs fan vs a White Sox fan

Bears simply geographically
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

Lakers - locality/Magic/Kobe

Redskins - locality (fell in love with them at early age before family moved from Maryland to Cali

Angels - locality

Oilers - dug the uniforms and Connor McDavid. Go-to team in NHL2024 on Playstation

Fever - Caitlyn Clark haters

USC - locality/Todd Marinovich/Leinart/Bush

Manny Pacquiao - asian/anti-Floyd

BJ Penn - sexy mfer

Ricky Fowler - locality/jap-american/cool orange puma gear

Lonzo - Magician on the court/cool ass dude off court
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

lettherebehouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:38 am Lakers - locality/Magic/Kobe

Redskins - locality (fell in love with them at early age before family moved from Maryland to Cali

Angels - locality

Oilers - dug the uniforms and Connor McDavid. Go-to team in NHL2024 on Playstation

BJ Penn - sexy mfer

Commanders***
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:51 am

Angels - locality

BJ Penn - sexy mfer

Commanders***
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Was born in the Boston area, but grew up upstate NY which got both Celtic & Mets games. Uncle was a Mets fan & remember watching the 86 World Series with him. Also follow LSU/UNC/Duke sports as I lived near those areas after college.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:51 am

Angels - locality

BJ Penn - sexy mfer

Commanders***

elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Because I was at the very first preseason game and been on the ride ever since. No other poster has close to the same fandom. Most jumped on board after success.....especially leoss, kobeunderballs, madness etc...
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

I'm sorry House and Rob, but Washington's NFL team name has changed.

They're YOUR Commanders.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:21 am I'm sorry House and Rob, but Washington's NFL team name has changed.

They're YOUR Commanders.

Tbh I’m not as mad anymore and willing to even cop some Commander gear. I still have a hat from their brief time known as The Washington Football Team. Maybe it’ll be a collectors item one day.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Mets, Lakers, Rangers, Gmen - My dad
Nadal - because he is the sexiest and most exciting athlete I've ever watched
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

kobeunderbite wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:18 pm Mets, Lakers, Rangers, Gmen - My dad
Nadal - because he is the sexiest and most exciting athlete I've ever watched
Tebow fits your Nadal description as well.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

lettherebehouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:13 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:21 am I'm sorry House and Rob, but Washington's NFL team name has changed.

They're YOUR Commanders.

Tbh I’m not as mad anymore and willing to even cop some Commander gear. I still have a hat from their brief time known as The Washington Football Team. Maybe it’ll be a collectors item one day.
I respect it honestly. At a certain point you have to get some merch if you want to stay a fan.

Buying gear is like a subscription service to your favorite team.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

Born in Minnesota. First pro game as a child, the Twins. I was 5.
The Vikings, they have this way of breaking my heart every decade of fanhood.
The North Stars. First hockey game was at the old Met Center. They were not very good. I recall when they moved out of Minnesota I rooted against them the first year after they moved. Go Stars.

NBA The Chicago Bulls. Micheal Jordan. Now fuck the Bulls. I have slowly become a Mavs fan.

Of all of these sports. I still prefer hockey over the other. :suds: