Irrefutable evidence/proof why the 90's were better and tougher than today's weak, sissy NBA

Talk about anything here.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: Irrefutable evidence/proof why the 90's were better and tougher than today's weak, sissy NBA

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:47 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:39 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:29 pm Assist/FGA ratios

1995-96 - 1:3.53
2023-24 - 1:3.34 (about 5.7% better)

FG% by distance

1996-97 - 10-16 feet - 38.3% (had to go forward a year since that's when stats started being kept)
2023-24 - 10-16 feet - 44.4% (ROFL today's players are WAY better in the mid-range)

Ironically, teams in 96-97 shot 45.5% in the 16-3P distance range.....just proving how moronic players and coaches were back then. Would you rather shoot 45.5% for a chance at 2 points (0.91 points per attempt) or 36.0% for 3 points (1.08 points per attempt)???
And assist to field goal attempts really doesn't tell the story on ball movement. Ball movement is HUGELY easier now. It's not even in the same area code.
Fixed for you... and it's YUUUGLEY easier because all 5 guys are behind the 3-point line, and the Defense can't make any contact.
Yes, spacing makes it easier. That's called evolution. Players/coaches in the 00's and before were too dumb to realize this. :lol:

But you only get spacing when you have 4-5 players on the floor capable of hitting from deep. That didn't exist in your GLORY DAYS.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Re: Irrefutable evidence/proof why the 90's were better and tougher than today's weak, sissy NBA

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:44 pm

FG% by distance

1996-97 - 10-16 feet - 38.3% (had to go forward a year since that's when stats started being kept)
2023-24 - 10-16 feet - 44.4% (ROFL today's players are WAY better in the mid-range)

Ironically, teams in 96-97 shot 45.5% in the 16-3P distance range.....just proving how moronic players and coaches were back then. Would you rather shoot 45.5% for a chance at 2 points (0.91 points per attempt) or 36.0% for 3 points (1.08 points per attempt)???
So the 90's = just 2 years, eh?

:L

Also, you do realize that the first half of the 90's was much different (style-wise) than the second half, right? In terms of Offense/Pace the first half was much more like today, vs. the last half, which was a much slower Pace like the 00's.

Pace/Style/Rules all go together, and they all impact the game in one way or the other... example; it's MUCH HARDER to make a jump shot when the defender can elbow, body and bump you out of position vs. taking a shot with 3 feet of space between you and the defense.

Again... measuring the skill/production of an Offense withOut factoring in the Defense is insulting to astute hoops fans.
There was never a time you were able to “elbow, body, and bump” a jump shooter, that’s hilarious and why would that make for a better product? A bunch of Kawhi landing injuries is supposed to be a good thing? I’d argue on ball defense is about as physical as it’s ever been, I don’t think Pat bev or Marcus smart have ever had a possession when they aren’t putting their elbows in the ball handlers ribs or slapping at their off arms. The league is more physical, less blatant cheap shots though, and more skilled than ever. If you watched the games instead of living in the echo chamber of 90s nostalgia YouTube, you’d see it
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:53 pm

FG% by distance

Also, you do realize that the first half of the 90's was much different (style-wise) than the second half, right? In terms of Offense/Pace the first half was much more like today, vs. the last half, which was a much slower Pace like the 00's.

Pace/Style/Rules all go together, and they all impact the game in one way or the other... example; it's MUCH HARDER to make a jump shot when the defender can elbow, body and bump you out of position vs. taking a shot with 3 feet of space between you and the defense.

Again... measuring the skill/production of an Offense withOut factoring in the Defense is insulting to astute hoops fans.
There was never a time you were able to “elbow, body, and bump” a jump shooter, that’s hilarious and why would that make for a better product? A bunch of Kawhi landing injuries is supposed to be a good thing? I’d argue on ball defense is about as physical as it’s ever been, I don’t think Pat bev or Marcus smart have ever had a possession when they aren’t putting their elbows in the ball handlers ribs or slapping at their off arms. The league is more physical, less blatant cheap shots though, and more skilled than ever. If you watched the games instead of living in the echo chamber of 90s nostalgia YouTube, you’d see it
/end thread.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Wailua with the kill shot. :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:49 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:47 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:39 pm

And assist to field goal attempts really doesn't tell the story on ball movement. Ball movement is HUGELY easier now. It's not even in the same area code.
Fixed for you... and it's YUUUGLEY easier because all 5 guys are behind the 3-point line, and the Defense can't make any contact.
Yes, spacing makes it easier. That's called evolution. Players/coaches in the 00's and before were too dumb to realize this. :lol:

But you only get spacing when you have 4-5 players on the floor capable of hitting from deep. That didn't exist in your GLORY DAYS.
As I said, it's "easier" to Score today than it's ever been; however "easier" doesn't mean better. It means it's "easier" for today's players and "tougher" for the players in the 90's / 00's, as the thread title suggests.

And FTR the league shoots 35%-36% from long-range in this era vs. 32%-33% in the 90's... so you can stop pretending like the NBA is full of Steph Curry's today, while the 90's were like the 50's and 60's.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

FG% by distance

"In my day, defenders played you with two hands and an elbow. You're not getting by a guy, especially if he has an elbow and a hand on you and is a strong defensive player." - Clyde Drexler

Case-closed.

And it's laughable to suggest the game today is as/more physical than ever... even rob and grizz would laugh at that statement.
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm

"In my day, defenders played you with two hands and an elbow. You're not getting by a guy, especially if he has an elbow and a hand on you and is a strong defensive player." - Clyde Drexler

Case-closed.

And it's laughable to suggest the game today is as/more physical than ever... even rob and grizz would laugh at that statement.
You should try watching games from the 90s and come up with an original thought instead of just copy pasting things you read. There is actual video evidence easily available.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 am Everything is better. Shooting, shooting from distance, ball movement, defensive rotations, obviously ball handling. You name the facet, and the game has gotten better. When I watch replays of 80s and 90s games now, I'm amazed I found it as enjoyable as it I did at the time. It just pales in comparison to the current product.

Do you believe all of the major sports have evolved similarly in that time?
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pm

Case-closed.

You should try watching games from the 90s and come up with an original thought instead of just copy pasting things you read. There is actual video evidence easily available.
:lol: the guy who says today's NBA is as/more physical than ever before (lolol) is telling other people to watch games.

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:17 pm

Case-closed.

:lol: the guy who says today's NBA is as/more physical than ever before (lolol) is telling other people to watch games.

I watched the 90s and I still watch games now. You’ve boycotted the league and just watch confirmation bias YouTube videos. Your (copy and pasted) takes can’t be taken seriously since you admit to not actually watching games, you’re just a product of propaganda.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

kobeunderbite wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:15 pm
_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 am Everything is better. Shooting, shooting from distance, ball movement, defensive rotations, obviously ball handling. You name the facet, and the game has gotten better. When I watch replays of 80s and 90s games now, I'm amazed I found it as enjoyable as it I did at the time. It just pales in comparison to the current product.

More or less, albeit maybe not as evenly.
_Vcsgrizzfan_
Role Player

Post by _Vcsgrizzfan_ »

wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:22 pm

I watched the 90s and I still watch games now. You’ve boycotted the league and just watch confirmation bias YouTube videos. Your (copy and pasted) takes can’t be taken seriously since you admit to not actually watching games, you’re just a product of propaganda.
The confirmation bias he walks around with boggles the mind. He literally cannot see anything that contradicts his preconceived notions. He would be an interesting case study for a team of researchers.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

_Vcsgrizzfan_ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:24 pm
kobeunderbite wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:15 pm

More or less, albeit maybe not as evenly.

I tend to agree but I do view tennis as something of an outlier and I have a tough time reconciling why. In some sense the sport has clearly evolved as the average top player is now much taller and therefore much better at serving (again, on average) but I can't help but feel that the top-10 today would be butchered by the top-10 from 2007-2008 or 2012, let's say, and that players used to possess a much more complete game on average.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

You're watching with your eyes closed then, if you actually think the league is just as/more physical today than it was in the 90's... and you don't have to take my word for it, just listen to the NBA Commish, the VP of Ops, and many current players/coaches, who recently confirmed that the NBA today is soft and the Defense is weak (by virtue of the fact that the rules in place heavily favor Offenses).

Thus, your beef should be with Silver (for turning the NBA soft and weak) not me.

wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:35 pm

You're watching with your eyes closed then, if you actually think the league is just as/more physical today than it was in the 90's... and you don't have to take my word for it, just listen to the NBA Commish, the VP of Ops, and many current players/coaches, who recently confirmed that the NBA today is soft and the Defense is weak (by virtue of the fact that the rules in place heavily favor Offenses).

Thus, your beef should be with Silver (for turning the NBA soft and weak) not me.
Like I said, watch the games. Come up with an original thought.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

phpBB [video]

Just watched the first 5 minutes of this NBA Finals game. ANY time a defender made contact with an offensive player.....the whistle was blown. Other than that, it was some guards getting layups....or uncontested mid-range jumpers.

~George Carlin~
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Robceltsfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:53 pm
phpBB [video]

Just watched the first 5 minutes of this NBA Finals game. ANY time a defender made contact with an offensive player.....the whistle was blown. Other than that, it was some guards getting layups....or uncontested mid-range jumpers.

Kudos to you for suffering through that.

WAY too boring for me.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

wailuaFC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:38 pm
thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:35 pm

Like I said, watch the games. Come up with an original thought.
So TDK, Adam Silver, Joe Dumars, Doc Rivers, Steve Kerr, Rudy Gobert, Trae Young, Luka Donic, etc., etc (the Commish, a VP, current coaches and current players) are all wrong about the soft and weak Style and Defense of today's NBA, but you're right?

Hmmm...

Somehow I'm not convinced.

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

phpBB [video]

Gee rob, that's great... 5 minutes of one (1) game is supposed to define an entire decade.

:lol: :roll: :L

It would be better if you just admitted you didn't watch the NBA in the 90's, and leave it at that.

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:00 pm
phpBB [video]

Gee rob, that's great... 5 minutes of one (1) game is supposed to define an entire decade.

:lol: :roll: :L

It would be better if you just admitted you didn't watch the NBA in the 90's, and leave it at that.
I've done this exercise with you more than a few times.

The first five minutes of a Game 1 of the NBA Finals. THAT is when they played the most lax defense??? It's going to get better as the game goes on??? :lol:

If you say so...

~George Carlin~