This is why he's the greatest

Talk about anything here.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Re: This is why he's the greatest

Post by wailuaFC »

Do you think if TDK watched the nba his opinion would change? All the posters who still watch the nba have relatively similar opinions, sans arty but there’s always one, while TDK and the glory days posters just post confirmation bias stuff. I wonder if it’s ignorance or obstinance
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

lol moose hunting

:haha2:
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

wailuaFC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:39 pm Do you think if TDK watched the nba his opinion would change? All the posters who still watch the nba have relatively similar opinions, sans arty but there’s always one, while TDK and the glory days posters just post confirmation bias stuff. I wonder if it’s ignorance or obstinance
The game now is about perception. Guarding against the 3 point shot is huge. Yes, it leaves the rim open,but not as open as you would think, therefore you get the impression of soft defense.
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

lettherebehouse wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 pm lol moose hunting

:haha2:
I have a hard time seeing Griz with his hands dirty.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

Da Stars. wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:16 pm
wailuaFC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:39 pm Do you think if TDK watched the nba his opinion would change? All the posters who still watch the nba have relatively similar opinions, sans arty but there’s always one, while TDK and the glory days posters just post confirmation bias stuff. I wonder if it’s ignorance or obstinance
The game now is about perception. Guarding against the 3 point shot is huge. Yes, it leaves the rim open,but not as open as you would think, therefore you get the impression of soft defense.
Pretty much every dude on the court can shoot it from 25 feet now.

In Bird's opinion, the popularization of the three-point line, especially in the last decade, led to players having more space to maneuver, which is an excellent aspect of today's game. It benefits great players even more because it puts their skillset in position to be even more successful on the court.

Obviously, the three-point shot stretched out the court a little bit. I remember when we played, we were worried the middle was so clogged because we really wanted to pound it down inside all the time. Since the three-point line is being taken advantage of, it opened the court up; there is more space out there. Some of the players that have a lot of skill you can see their skill on a nightly basis. We never really worked on it. We didn't guard guys beyond the three-point line. We would stay way underneath, going under every pick. The corner shots and on the top of the key are the shots I liked to take.

Larry Bird, via NBA TV
Da Stars.

Post by Da Stars. »

manchild98 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:16 pm

In Bird's opinion, the popularization of the three-point line, especially in the last decade, led to players having more space to maneuver, which is an excellent aspect of today's game. It benefits great players even more because it puts their skillset in position to be even more successful on the court.

Obviously, the three-point shot stretched out the court a little bit. I remember when we played, we were worried the middle was so clogged because we really wanted to pound it down inside all the time. Since the three-point line is being taken advantage of, it opened the court up; there is more space out there. Some of the players that have a lot of skill you can see their skill on a nightly basis. We never really worked on it. We didn't guard guys beyond the three-point line. We would stay way underneath, going under every pick. The corner shots and on the top of the key are the shots I liked to take.

Larry Bird, via NBA TV
20 years after the ABA started the 3 point line, did HS and college ball start theirs. International players during those times were not as talented or athletic. They were very good at shoot from distance. In my opinion the reason US basketball started the 3 point shot.
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

I'm quoting the NBA Commissioner, the NBA VP of Ops, the best Defensive player in the NBA today, several current NBA Euro stars, and a boatload of former NBA HOFERS who all confirm the fact that today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the league rules cater to Scoring/Offense big-time.

Now tell me: Why on earth should I believe a handful of arm-chair-fans over all those experts? Because today's players practice chucking 30-foot bombs (n a no-contact era) more than ever before, and have develeoped their "skill" to the point where they "only" MISS those shots 65% of the time (instead of 67%-68% of the time)?

:noidea:
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

manchild98 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:16 pm

Larry Bird, via NBA TV
...and as anyone who ever played the sport will tell you, it's MUCH MUCH EASIER to maneuver and score when the floor is open (vs. clogged), and when no/minimal contact is allowed from the Defense.

Thanks Larry Legend for proving TDK right (once again).
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."