Wembanyama will be the GOAT

Talk about anything here.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Re: Wembanyama will be the GOAT

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:09 pm The idea of ring inflation is offset to some degree by the fact that his series winning percentage is so high (93% at 27-2, and he missed a chunk of the first series loss), and that he won towards the end of his career with worse teams than his opposition (the 69 Celtics had to play against HCA in *each* playoff series and still won).

Just for my own curiosity, I calculated the average winning percentage (RS) of Russell's playoff opponents.

It was 59.9 percent (little more than a 49 win pace).

That's slightly better than the opponent's winning percentage for the 1991 Bulls (58.2 percent). Probably worse than others for the Bulls when the East had a good team to face in the ECSFs.

The Nuggets last year won a title playing teams that ranged from 42 to 45 wins. In a 30 team league.

It would be interesting to study that year-over-year to see how the RS winning percentages of Russell opponents fared vs. Jordan vs. Magic and Bird and whoever else.

Russell:
11 Rings. 59.9 percent opponent RS winning percentage. 27-2 overall playoff record.
Relax man. You already had cake.

Too much more and you'll be bouncing off the walls from that sugar rush.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Wemby reminds me of Kareem a bit, except for the 3 pointers, and the lack of a skyhook.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Jordan is considered the GOAT….he won a bunch of titles in his era.

Wilt, in a 6/8 team league, won next to nothing until he joined the better team in LA.

Sorry, y’all’s math don’t add up.

Russell > Wilt
Jordan > Wilt
Jabber > Wilt
Magic > Wilt
Bird > Wilt
Duncan > Wilt
O’Neal > Wilt

And I could argue for Dream and Kobe over Wilt.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Meh, it's preseason
Teams havent planned any defense for him yet or even strategized yet.
Preseason is for working out kinks, rotation and rosters and working on weaknesses and getting a look at undrafted players. It's not about stopping a particular player on the other team or getting highlight for espn or even winning games.
In fact the spurs should have shut him down after a couple games. No reason to be out there other than for highlight and building up hype
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Post by Uncontroversial »

elartman1973 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:58 pm Meh, it's preseason
Teams havent planned any defense for him yet or even strategized yet.
Preseason is for working out kinks, rotation and rosters and working on weaknesses and getting a look at undrafted players. It's not about stopping a particular player on the other team or getting highlight for espn or even winning games.
In fact the spurs should have shut him down after a couple games. No reason to be out there other than for highlight and building up hype
there is no strategy possible to defend him with known laws of physics
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Embiid's first offensive possession against Wemby.

Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:37 pm Embiid's first offensive possession against Wemby.

Wemby’s play right after.

"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Shill Jackson wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:44 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:37 pm Embiid's first offensive possession against Wemby.

Wemby’s play right after.

Nah
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Dropped a cool 70 on the future HOFer Wemby.

Embeast.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Is he even the consensus #1 rookie in his class so far? :noidea:
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Damn, Phuture called that.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:23 pm Is he even the consensus #1 rookie in his class so far? :noidea:
I would still say so. Who is his competition?

I am also assuming you're not including Chet, who I would say is technically last year's rookie class.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

zombiesonics wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:26 pm Damn, Phuture called that.
Until Wemby puts on some weight the stronger centers will want to challenge him on the inside.

I assume Jokic has played him already too and I would guess Jokic did very well.

Too lazy to check.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:47 pm
LeBronMonsterDunk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:23 pm Is he even the consensus #1 rookie in his class so far? :noidea:

I am also assuming you're not including Chet, who I would say is technically last year's rookie class.
Chet didn’t play at all last year so isn’t he considered a rookie for at least ROY?

Didn’t Embiid win Roy in like his 4th year?
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

ROY isn't linked to team success like MVP is.

Wemby will win it going away, health-permitting.

Even if you want to wipe-away his scoring because of relative inefficiency and probably having more chances than a normal rookie because of his shit teammates, his defense and rebounding production is excellent, especially considering he plays somewhat reduced minutes.

Edit: Interesting, the current odds give an implied probability of about 65ish percent or so...that's lower than I expected.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:53 pm ROY isn't linked to team success like MVP is.

Wemby will win it going away, health-permitting.

Even if you want to wipe-away his scoring because of relative inefficiency and probably having more chances than a normal rookie because of his shit teammates, his defense and rebounding production is excellent, especially considering he plays somewhat reduced minutes.

Edit: Interesting, the current odds give an implied probability of about 65ish percent or so...that's lower than I expected.
Chet’s number aren’t too far off from him. The traditional stat line favors Wemby but Chet has him beat in a lot of advance measurements and of course much better defensively.

Even though record doesn’t usually come into play. I think the fact the Spurs are on pace to be worse than last year while Thunder may win 60 games may have a small influence.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Titan18 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:52 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Chet didn’t play at all last year so isn’t he considered a rookie for at least ROY?

Didn’t Embiid win Roy in like his 4th year?
I guess you could say Chet is a rookie since it's his first year playing but I don't think he should be eligible for the award. It should go by the most recent draft class' first year playing basketball.

I say that as someone who was biased as fuck for Embiid to win the award (which he didn't, it went to Malcolm Brogdon) and Ben Simmons (who won it over Donovan Mitchell (suck it Carl)).

I openly admit though that I was just defending my own team's player and was biased for them getting it.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:49 pm
Until Wemby puts on some weight the stronger centers will want to challenge him on the inside.

I assume Jokic has played him already too and I would guess Jokic did very well.

Too lazy to check.
Jokic put up a cool 39/11/9 on Wemby. Second highest scoring night for Jokic on the season. So yeah, Joker slapped him around too.

Wemby averaging 20/10 and leading the league in blocks per game. That’s Shaq-esque but he needs to start winning games.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

TIL Embiid didn’t win ROY

PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

zombiesonics wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:03 pm
PhutureDynasty wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:49 pm

Too lazy to check.
Jokic put up a cool 39/11/9 on Wemby. Second highest scoring night for Jokic on the season. So yeah, Joker slapped him around too.

Wemby averaging 20/10 and leading the league in blocks per game. That’s Shaq-esque but he needs to start winning games.
Agreed. He can't help that the Spurs suck outside of him though and the West is pretty damn good this year.

If you switch Wemby and Chet I don't think the Thunder get worse and I don't think the Spurs get better.

I say that as a fan of both of the big fellas. The league is in good hands if they can both stay healthy.