Wembanyama will be the GOAT

Talk about anything here.
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Wembanyama will be the GOAT

Post by Uncontroversial »

He'll surpass MJ sooner than you think, and people will forget lebron ever existed since he was simply a marketing experiment and was never close to being the actual GOAT.
Shut your bitch mouth, Trumpie loser
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Wembanyama will be the GOAT

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Blake Griffin will be the GOAT

He'll surpass MJ sooner than you think, and people will forget lebron ever existed since he was simply a marketing experiment and was never close to being the actual GOAT.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
Alex_Murphy
Clean-Up Crew

Post by Alex_Murphy »

he kinda looks like a young Wilt Chamberlain with some of his facial features
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Jesus, Sadmess….at least let him get a few games in before you give him your patented kiss of death…
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Robceltsfan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:40 pm Jesus, Sadmess….at least let him get a few games in before you give him your patented kiss of death…
Kenyon Martin went off on these so-called experts ranking Wemby & Scoot over Russell Westbrook. I get Russ has lost a step but the man just had a triple dub season in '21. Yet these "experts" are ranking 19 year olds over him who haven't even played a minute in the league.
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

Havlicekstealsit wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:57 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:40 pm Jesus, Sadmess….at least let him get a few games in before you give him your patented kiss of death…
Kenyon Martin went off on these so-called experts ranking Wemby & Scoot over Russell Westbrook. I get Russ has lost a step but the man just had a triple dub season in '21. Yet these "experts" are ranking 19 year olds over him who haven't even played a minute in the league.
Westbrook has no winning impact. Wemby is going to win a shitload of championships and will need very little help
thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

Uncontroversial wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:00 am
Too bad they didn't change the rules to let Wilt shoot FT's from 5 feet out... he probably wins a couple/few more rings if that were the case.

:lol:

And I'm curious what rules they changed to make the game "easier" for MJ to dominate, considering he was already a Top 5 player in the game in his rookie season.

:roll:

Wilt was just a bitter man, is all.

:L
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
Uncontroversial
All-Time Great

thedangerouskitchen wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:59 pm
Uncontroversial wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:00 am
Too bad they didn't change the rules to let Wilt shoot FT's from 5 feet out... he probably wins a couple/few more rings if that were the case.

:lol:

And I'm curious what rules they changed to make the game "easier" for MJ to dominate, considering he was already a Top 5 player in the game in his rookie season.

:roll:

Wilt was just a bitter man, is all.

:L
MJ never responded to what Wilt said. He knew it was true.
xer0
Hall of Famer

Post by xer0 »

I consider Wilt Chamberlain the best player of all time, you can only rank players on how well they performed in their particular era, and for his era, Wilt was far more dominant than any other player since his time. He had entire teams game planning to neutralize him and he still dominated most of the time, people make way too big a deal of his dropped playoff numbers, it's not that big of a sample and it's a bullshit argument to prop up the vastly inferior player bill Russell. I can't think of another player that commanded that kind of respect in history vs his peers. Pro basketball is way past it's peak and it's only gonna get worse from here.
CleveTown™
Superstar

Post by CleveTown™ »

He'll be lucky to be as good as Duncan.
My RAPTURE LETTER to Angergeneral: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129641&p=1841888
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

xer0 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:37 am I consider Wilt Chamberlain the best player of all time, you can only rank players on how well they performed in their particular era, and for his era, Wilt was far more dominant than any other player since his time. He had entire teams game planning to neutralize him and he still dominated most of the time, people make way too big a deal of his dropped playoff numbers, it's not that big of a sample and it's a bullshit argument to prop up the vastly inferior player bill Russell. I can't think of another player that commanded that kind of respect in history vs his peers. Pro basketball is way past it's peak and it's only gonna get worse from here.
The older I’ve gotten, the lower I’ve ranked Wilt. Inflated statistics from an inflated era.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

xer0 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:37 am I consider Wilt Chamberlain the best player of all time, you can only rank players on how well they performed in their particular era, and for his era, Wilt was far more dominant than any other player since his time. He had entire teams game planning to neutralize him and he still dominated most of the time, people make way too big a deal of his dropped playoff numbers, it's not that big of a sample and it's a bullshit argument to prop up the vastly inferior player bill Russell. I can't think of another player that commanded that kind of respect in history vs his peers. Pro basketball is way past it's peak and it's only gonna get worse from here.
Based.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Robceltsfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:50 am
The older I’ve gotten, the lower I’ve ranked Wilt. Inflated statistics from an inflated era.
By that logic, Russell should drop on your list as far as you drop Wilt.

After all, same era and same opportunity for said stats.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

I don't think anyone really denies that neither Wilt nor Russell would be grabbing 20-25 rebounds a game or blocking eight shots a game in the modern NBA or even any post-merger era.

The disconnect with Wilt mostly relates to understand how his personal offense didn't influence team offense in the manner a casual reading of his statistics would imply. Without getting *too* deep in the weeds right now, consider two adjacent seasons, one where Wilt played "as Wilt" and one where he played "as Russell" (roughly). The main offensive teammates were the same in both years:

1966: 25.2 shots/game, 54 percent shooting, 33.5 ppg, team offense = 95.3 points/100 possessions and 6th/9 in NBA.
1967: 14.2 shots/game, 68 percent shooting, 24.1 ppg, team offense = 101.5 points/100 possessions and 1st/10 in NBA.

The playoff factor is also a real factor, spread over 160 games, and constant at a within-year level of analysis as well. There is a context to apply (going against better defenses, probably having to play Russell a disproportionate percentage of the time, etc....) but the within-year results were consistent and meaningful.:

Drop in PPG RS vs. Playoffs, 1960-1973:

1960: 12% drop
1961: 4% drop
1962: 31% drop
1963: NA
1964: 6% drop
1965: 16% drop
1966: 16% drop
1967: 10% drop
1968: 2% drop
1969: 32% drop
1970: 19% drop
1971: 12% drop
1972: 1% drop
1973: 21% drop

Difference in FG/FT percentage RS vs. Playoffs, 1960-1973 (negative = lower in playoffs vs. RS):
FG FT
1960: 7.6% -23.5%
1961: -7.9% 9.7%
1962: -7.7% 3.8%
1964: 3.6% -10.5%
1965: 3.9% 20.5%
1966: -5.7% -19.7%
1967: -15.2% -12.0%
1968: -10.3% 0.0%
1969: -6.5% -12.1%
1970: -3.3% -9.0%
1971: -16.5% -4.3%
1972: -13.3% 16.6%
1973: -24.1% -2.0%

The interesting thing is that Wilt is probably *underrated* historically in terms of how much his defensive impacted winning. Wilt was an all-time level defensive player. Not on Russell's level (or Hakeem), but absolutely in the next tier down from that. Most analytics showed a consistent, strong positive impact in his career on that front, ditto with being a monster rebounder. Wilt time-machined to the modern day would still have phenomenal impact defensively (hopefully he wouldn't gain too much muscle mass and stay relatively lithe and quick like he was earlier in his career), but his offensive game would be obsolete.

Of course, this is all on the margins. Whatever his flaws were, they took him from being an A+++ player to an A+ player...at the end of the day the guy is a legend and top 10 player all-time (although at the back end of the top 10 IMO).
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Bush4Ever. wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:39 am Image
Make sure you find some napkins.

Spoiler:
For the record, I agree with you.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

PhutureDynasty wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:49 am

Stats can be inflated.

MVP’s and championships cannot.

~George Carlin~
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Robceltsfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:40 pm

Stats can be inflated.

By virtue of having 6/8 teams in the league and having far more talent than any other team, I'd argue otherwise. His title count is massively inflated due to era.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

AlaskaHawks wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:21 pm
Robceltsfan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:40 pm

Stats can be inflated.

By virtue of having 6/8 teams in the league and having far more talent than any other team, I'd argue otherwise. His title count is massively inflated due to era.
Absolute truth bomb of epic proportions.
Bush4Ever.
All-Time Great

Post by Bush4Ever. »

The idea of ring inflation is offset to some degree by the fact that his series winning percentage is so high (93% at 27-2, and he missed a chunk of the first series loss), and that he won towards the end of his career with worse teams than his opposition (the 69 Celtics had to play against HCA in *each* playoff series and still won).

Just for my own curiosity, I calculated the average winning percentage (RS) of Russell's playoff opponents.

It was 59.9 percent (little more than a 49 win pace).

That's slightly better than the opponent's winning percentage for the 1991 Bulls (58.2 percent). Probably worse than others for the Bulls when the East had a good team to face in the ECSFs.

The Nuggets last year won a title playing teams that ranged from 42 to 45 wins. In a 30 team league.

It would be interesting to study that year-over-year to see how the RS winning percentages of Russell opponents fared vs. Jordan vs. Magic and Bird and whoever else.

Russell:
11 Rings. 59.9 percent opponent RS winning percentage. 27-2 overall playoff record.