True/False: The NBA has less talent now than years prior.

Talk about anything here.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Re: True/False: The NBA has less talent now than years prior

Post by Y2K »

l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:The biggest knock on this era is the near extinction of the true pivot big man and the "no-contact" rules.
What about the emergence of the stretch 4? Or the adoption of the corner 3? Or the evolution of defensive schemes forcing teams to shoot long inefficient 2-pointers (the staple of ugly 90's basketball)?

And I hope you're not referring to the removing of handchecking (which was instituted WHILE Jordan was in the league) with your latter comment. I can't think of a bigger lie told in sports than the impact of handchecking in basketball.
The stretch 4 had been totally blown out of proportion. There aren't many players who fit that mold for it to be as talked about as it is.

And hand checking was not really enforced until the 2004-05 season so really the rule did not exist.

But I'm talking about not being able to even touch the ball handler In the back court, And can only use your forearm below the FT line.

All 3 of these rules existed before 2004-05 but were not strictly enforced. By the time that they were, they were overly enforced, thus making this the "no contact" era.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:The biggest knock on this era is the near extinction of the true pivot big man and the "no-contact" rules.
What about the emergence of the stretch 4? Or the adoption of the corner 3? Or the evolution of defensive schemes forcing teams to shoot long inefficient 2-pointers (the staple of ugly 90's basketball)?

And I hope you're not referring to the removing of handchecking (which was instituted WHILE Jordan was in the league) with your latter comment. I can't think of a bigger lie told in sports than the impact of handchecking in basketball.
The stretch 4 had been totally blown out of proportion. There aren't many players who fit that mold for it to be as talked about as it is.

And hand checking was not really enforced until the 2004-05 season so really the rule did not exist.

But I'm talking about not being able to even touch the ball handler In the back court, And can only use your forearm below the FT line.

All 3 of these rules existed before 2004-05 but were not strictly enforced. By the time that they were, they were overly enforced, thus making this the "no contact" era.

I don't see how using your forearm would be advocated by fans watching basketball. It's just an aesthetic thing watching game for me. Watching Mark Jackson turn his back to the basket 30 feet away and back in with an arm in his back was awful to watch. Watching 3 HOFers on the Rockets make a triangle on one side of the court as they took turns doing the same while two teammates stood in one spot with no impact on the play at all for 15 - 20 seconds watching was awful to watch.

But that's just me. I like freedom and movement and creativity and style and teamwork. Others might prefer a league where Anthony Mason can be a viable option at PG. To each his own...
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote: What about the emergence of the stretch 4? Or the adoption of the corner 3? Or the evolution of defensive schemes forcing teams to shoot long inefficient 2-pointers (the staple of ugly 90's basketball)?

I don't see how using your forearm would be advocated by fans watching basketball. It's just an aesthetic thing watching game for me. Watching Mark Jackson turn his back to the basket 30 feet away and back in with an arm in his back was awful to watch. Watching 3 HOFers on the Rockets make a triangle on one side of the court as they took turns doing the same while two teammates stood in one spot with no impact on the play at all for 15 - 20 seconds watching was awful to watch.

But that's just me. I like freedom and movement and creativity and style and teamwork. Others might prefer a league where Anthony Mason can be a viable option at PG. To each his own...
From the 89/90 season, to the 91/92 season, Greg Kite started 173 games.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Joe Klien had a job in every season in the 1990's lol.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote: What about the emergence of the stretch 4? Or the adoption of the corner 3? Or the evolution of defensive schemes forcing teams to shoot long inefficient 2-pointers (the staple of ugly 90's basketball)?

mark Jackson is an extreme case though. And I do agree with that part of the rule change that dissuade players from doing such. Barkley was also known for doing this as he got older.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

rileymartin wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

From the 89/90 season, to the 91/92 season, Greg Kite started 173 games.
ok.

Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

rileymartin wrote:Joe Klien had a job in every season in the 1990's lol.
He'd start every game in this era as well
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

deezna10 wrote:
LOL, uh, no.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
LOL, uh, no.
NBA is weak now days. Softest it's ever been by far. There is some talented kids but they have grown up playing soft. Players back then would thrive in this weak era.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
LOL, uh, no.
And for the record Kleine was mostly a bench player. He would definitely make a team now days.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

deezna10 wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
LOL, uh, no.
And for the record Kleine was mostly a bench player. He would definitely make a team now days.

What about his game would translate.

Other than the conveniently used but hard to quantify "toughness"...
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
LOL, uh, no.

How many 6'-11 255 pound guys in todays game can do anymore than he can? This era is pathetic for centers.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
deezna10 wrote:

How many 6'-11 255 pound guys in todays game can do anymore than he can? This era is pathetic for centers.

what could he do?
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
deezna10 wrote:

Maybe you should watch him play lol.

The center position has evolved. Go take a peek at how players like Kendick Perkins and Tiago Splitter end up being liabilities on their teams.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

The center position has evolved. Go take a peek at how players like Kendick Perkins and Tiago Splitter end up being liabilities on their teams.
Still cant believe that guy got a raise after he shit the bed in the finals
town bidness
All-Star

Post by town bidness »

deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
deezna10 wrote:

dont do that....
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

but yet both are still starters.

l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote:

Stretch 4 doesn't just pertain to Kevin Love and Ryan Anderson. It's teams creating offensive and defensive schemes while playing a swingmen at the 4 and enjoying all the luxuries that player brings to the position (speed, quickness, spacing, ball handling, passing, etc.) while not suffering from a weaker team defense (teams like San Antonio, Miami, Oklahoma, etc. all maintain elite defenses while routinely playing smallball.)
Come at the King, you best not miss.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

wailuaFC wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:

So much in the NBA is about matchups. And the Heat are a nightmare for guys like Splitter or Perkins... as we've clearly seen.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

wailuaFC wrote:
rileymartin wrote:
deezna10 wrote:

Who else can they sign? The options aren't unlimited.