David Stern

Talk about anything here.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

David Stern

Post by Y2K »

What's the overall thoughts on his 30 year reign as commissioner?

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Re: David Stern

Post by Smelters »

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Dream Team

Donaghy, corrupt refs, fixed games, fixed drafts
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

jjgator wrote:Image
All those championships Ewing brought NYC really solidified that rigging.
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

My kneejerk emotional reaction is to hate on the man, but if I calm down a bit and give a rational assessment, he's been a pretty damn good commissioner. He took an American novelty act and turned it into a global brand. Granted there were players and coaches who created the product, but Stern marketed it with a wide view.
As much as it pains me to say it, the NBA is better for having had him at the helm.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Havlicekstealsit wrote:
jjgator wrote:Image
All those championships Ewing brought NYC really solidified that rigging.
Your avatar inspired me to change my own (don't have the GOAT, but still the next 2 best centers). I think I have to re-crop it though.
dunkan5rings
Hall of Famer

Post by dunkan5rings »

2002 WCF, MVP for the Lakers David Stern (Game 6, Game 7, shocking, epic)

Lord Stern the GOAT
DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

DorianRo wrote:Image

Your Bulls won the most championships under Stern's tenure. Or do you think he was somehow responsible for MJ's baseball venture and Rose's health?
DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

Smelters wrote:Magic, Bird, Jordan, Dream Team

Whats wrong with the Dream Team? Its not like Magic, Bird, and Jordan willingly colluded to win championships
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

DorianRo wrote:

Whats wrong with the Dream Team? Its not like Magic, Bird, and Jordan willingly colluded to win championships
LOL!!!

Nothing some people give Stern credit for saving the NBA and turning it into a global game when it really was Magic and Bird saved the NBA, MJ took it to another level even global and the Dream team really took it global.
sportswise1
All-Time Great

Post by sportswise1 »

Smelters wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

LOL!!!

Nothing some people give Stern credit for saving the NBA and turning it into a global game when it really was Magic and Bird saved the NBA, MJ took it to another level even global and the Dream team really took it global.

Every owner/coach and gm along with any players polled--all agree that Stern was responsible for the success of the NBA. Obviously great players enabled the league to prosper but even Cuban and those heavily fined by Stern agreed he was clearly the best Commissioner the NBA ever had and probably the best in any sport. Without his marketing skills and the import of foreign players--the NBA would have died a long time ago
sportswise1
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

People who piss on Stern are usually not too bright and trying to sound clever. They are usually best ignored.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

sportswise1 wrote:
Smelters wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

LOL!!!

Every owner/coach and gm along with any players polled--all agree that Stern was responsible for the success of the NBA. Obviously great players enabled the league to prosper but even Cuban and those heavily fined by Stern agreed he was clearly the best Commissioner the NBA ever had and probably the best in any sport. Without his marketing skills and the import of foreign players--the NBA would have died a long time ago
What are they going to say? Oh Stern was an ahole, under his tenure there was a ref scandal, etc.

Many foreign players said that they were inspired by MJ (and had his poster in their room growing up) and the Dream Team.
Who would come out against him? I don't understand when people can't understand that everyone doesn't think the same. In these type of situations I believe certain guys just don't want to cause a stir, become blacklisted or lose a job.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:People who piss on Stern are usually not too bright and trying to sound clever. They are usually best ignored.
Are you related to him? Even the smartest person who just goes along with everyone else is, what?
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Smelters wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:People who piss on Stern are usually not too bright and trying to sound clever. They are usually best ignored.
Are you related to him? Even the smartest person who just goes along with everyone else is, what?
Are you trolling, or a moron? I give you the benefit of the doubt that I think most of your posts are trolling.

It's cute to be "different" and take the opposing view, but sometimes it just confirms that you're an idiot.
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

I am of the opinion that Larry Bird might be the biggest reason the NBA turned it around, but Stern was a brilliant marketer. He definitely was a big part of the turnaround and success of the NBA.
DorianRo
Superstar

Post by DorianRo »

Gotta have the talent there though. I don't think you can go global with slightly above average players and make it work. You gotta have those GOATs there to make it happen
sportswise1
All-Time Great

Post by sportswise1 »

DorianRo wrote:Gotta have the talent there though. I don't think you can go global with slightly above average players and make it work. You gotta have those GOATs there to make it happen
Of course you need the talent -Everyone said after MJ the league would suffer. In reality it's done even better despite the scandal/the over expansion and other issues.
And who do you give most of the credit for that?
Clearly, Stern was a dictatorial ass at times and drew lots of anger-but almost everyone in the sports world (not just basketball) acknowledges that the NBA was "toast" without Stern at the helm.
sportswise1
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Smelters wrote:
Are you trolling, or a moron? I give you the benefit of the doubt that I think most of your posts are trolling.

It's cute to be "different" and take the opposing view, but sometimes it just confirms that you're an idiot.
No trolling. Stern rode the perfect wave and yet still is stained by lockouts also. The ref scandal also was on his watch but it was just a "rogue" ref, Yeah okay!!! When you here rogue then watch out. Rigged drafts and games also were on Stern's watch.

Oh didn't he veto a trade that sent CP3 to the Lakers? and I'm far from a laker fan. Go ahead with the crowd, I like to make my own decisions.