I can win any basketball debate.

Talk about anything here.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

I can win any basketball debate.

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

You can pick the topic. And my position.

I'll still win the debate. Probably.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: I can win any basketball debate.

Post by Robceltsfan »

Better career: Karl Malone or Dirk Nowitzki?

You pick your side. GO!
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Tell us why Matt Geiger was the greatest big man the game has ever seen.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Robceltsfan wrote:Better career: Karl Malone or Dirk Nowitzki?

You pick your side. GO!

No. You choose my position. I defend it.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

You pick your side. GO!

Fine, I'll take Karl (who's position is somewhat easier to defend).

There is no chance you can place Dirk above The Mailman. Karl averaged 25/10 for an 18-season career for Christ's sake! He had more MVP's and had the misfortune of going up against some all-time greats at the wrong time (MJ/Olajuwon). Malone made some all-defensive teams (3 - 1st teams) while Dirk made none.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
LookAway
All-Time Great

Post by LookAway »

Robceltsfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

You pick your side. GO!

Fine, I'll take Karl (who's position is somewhat easier to defend).

There is no chance you can place Dirk above The Mailman. Karl averaged 25/10 for an 18-season career for Christ's sake! He had more MVP's and had the misfortune of going up against some all-time greats at the wrong time (MJ/Olajuwon). Malone made some all-defensive teams (3 - 1st teams) while Dirk made none.
Dirk beats him hands down. Rings still matter and unless Karl comes out of retirement; his career was for NOTHING
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:You can pick the topic. And my position.

Rashad McCants does not in fact suck.
Thedictator
Legend

Post by Thedictator »

OP easily is the best poster here. Probably
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

Buckets wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:You can pick the topic. And my position.

Rashad McCants does not in fact suck.
McCants >>>> Anthony Bennett
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

rileymartin wrote:Tell us why Matt Geiger was the greatest big man the game has ever seen.

When people consider the best big men in NBA history, the same names pop up on all the lists: Wilt. Russell. Shaq. Akeem. Robinson. Mikan. Duncan.

But one man NEVER makes the list (until now) and he might have been the most deserving of all, if not for a bunch of inconvenient circumstances. Matt Geiger.

The 7 footer arrived at Auburn ready to play, even if he was the only one who knew it. Not expected to be much of a player out of Florida, he forced his way into the lineup against the wishes of his coach, Sonny Smith. Geiger bullied his way to 19.9 minutes per game that season and was a force when on the court. The next season, a new coach arrived, who also didn't like Geiger, but the big man averaged 16/7 again shooting above 50%.

The coach hated him though, so Geiger transferred to Georgia Tech where he joined a backcourt heavy team of Jon Barry and Kenny Anderson who were too busy battling for draft recognition to bother passing the ball to their new talented 7 footer underneath. Travis Best arrived the next season and it was even worse. Despite shooting a league best 61+%, Geiger shot the 5th most shots on the team. This selfishness ruined his NBA draft status and reputation. And he spent the next decade continuing to prove the doutbters wrong.

During this time, Geiger's brother became ill with Hodgkin's. Gieger shaved his head, and continued to do so, as a tribute to his brother. Despite caring for his brother and focusing on bigger life issues despite other college kids being able to take the easy way, Geiger persevered and thrived.

Selected late in the 2nd rd. by Miami, Geiger exploded on the scene in the NBA... when overmatched coach, Kevin Loughery, gave him any run. In one memorable matchup, he shot 80% vs. All Star Rik Smit sand held the big man to 17% shooting.

Loughery never got wise though... not even with Geiger shooting a whopping 57% as a midrange jump shooter (WOW!!!) in his second season. So, Geiger was mercifully traded in Year 3 to Charlotte.

Joining a team with selfish malcontents like Larry Johnson, Kenny Anderson, Glen Rice and others was tough. Sitting behind the old, wretched Robert Parish was even worse. But Geiger proved to be SO much better, he finally replaced Parish in the starting lineup and the team took off from there. Yes... once again, Geiger was the best shooter on the team and even hit on 38% of his three point attempts.

And there's the fatal flaw in Matt Geiger.
He was too far ahead of his time.

He was the league's first Stretch 5... but the league was still playing caveman basketball. Hardly anybody shot 3 pointers (relative to today) and coaches bristled at Geiger's ability to stretch defenses and shoot 52 - 57% (right on par or better than other centers who only dunked and did layups). They didn't know how to treat such a sweet shooting 7 footer. Imagine him in place of Bosh in Miami with the spacing of that team. Or with Popovich in SA. Matt Bonner starts for them sometimes! LMBAO!!!

In 1998, Geiger led the team in shooting AGAIN. But he was forced to take a backseat to Vlade Divac in one of the most misguided moves in NBA history. Despite the snub, Geiger averaged 11/7 on a team with a coach who actively tried to get him out of the league. Geiger wouldn't let him. Geiger shot 67% and scored 27 against prime Ilguashkas and prime Shawn Kemp. He shot 74% and scored 28 against DPOY Marcus Camby. Best of all... matched against constant double teams of Tim Duncan AND David Robinson... he did better than both of them!

Geiger - 22 / 13
Robinson only shot 29%! Geiger had more rebounds and points than Duncan!

Later that season, Geiger shot 78% vs. Garnett, while holding him way below his season average... while leading the Hornets in rebounds and steals!

From there, bad coaching, knee injuries and a botched drug test messed with Geiger's career. He was on his way to being the best player of all time and proved it on the court often. He remains the greatest "what if given a fair shot" player of all time.

Sadly, more people should be referring to him as "the greatest big man of all time."
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
rileymartin wrote:Tell us why Matt Geiger was the greatest big man the game has ever seen.

When people consider the best big men in NBA history, the same names pop up on all the lists: Wilt. Russell. Shaq. Akeem. Robinson. Mikan.

But one man NEVER makes the list (until now) and he might have been the most deserving of all, if not for a bunch of inconvenient circumstances. Matt Geiger.

The 7 footer arrived at Auburn ready to play, even if he was the only one who knew it. Not expected to be much of a player out of Florida, he forced his way into the lineup against the wishes of his coach, Sonny Smith. Geiger bullied his way to 19.9 minutes per game that season and was a force when on the court. The next season, a new coach arrived, who also didn't like Geiger, but the big man averaged 16/7 again shooting above 50%.

The coach hated him though, so Geiger transferred to Georgia Tech where he joined a backcourt heavy team of Jon Barry and Kenny Anderson who were too busy battling for draft recognition to bother passing the ball to their new talented 7 footer underneath. Travis Best arrived the next season and it was even worse. Despite shooting a league best 61+%, Geiger shot the 5th most shots on the team. This selfishness ruined his NBA draft status and reputation. And he spent the next decade continuing to prove the doutbters wrong.

During this time, Geiger's brother became ill with Hodgkin's. Gieger shaved his head, and continued to do so, as a tribute to his brother. Despite caring for his brother and focusing on bigger life issues despite other college kids being able to take the easy way, Geiger persevered and thrived.

Selected late in the 2nd rd. by Miami, Geiger exploded on the scene in the NBA... when overmatched coach, Kevin Loughery, gave him any run. In one memorable matchup, he shot 80% vs. All Star Rik Smit sand held the big man to 17% shooting.

Loughery never got wise though... not even with Geiger shooting a whopping 57% as a midrange jump shooter (WOW!!!) in his second season. So, Geiger was mercifully traded in Year 3 to Charlotte.

Joining a team with selfish malcontents like Larry Johnson, Kenny Anderson, Glen Rice and others was tough. Sitting behind the old, wretched Robert Parish was even worse. But Geiger proved to be SO much better, he finally replaced Parish in the starting lineup and the team took off from there. Yes... once again, Geiger was the best shooter on the team and even hit on 38% of his three point attempts.

And there's the fatal flaw in Matt Geiger.
He was too far ahead of his time.

He was the league's first Stretch 5... but the league was still playing caveman basketball. Hardly anybody shot 3 pointers (relative to today) and coaches bristled at Geiger's ability to stretch defenses and shoot 52 - 57% (right on par or better than other centers who only dunked and did layups). They didn't know how to treat such a sweet shooting 7 footer. Imagine him in place of Bosh in Miami with the spacing of that team. Or with Popovich in SA. Matt Bonner starts for them sometimes! LMBAO!!!

In 1998, Geiger led the team in shooting AGAIN. But he was forced to take a backseat to Vlade Divac in one of the most misguided moves in NBA history. Despite the snub, Geiger averaged 11/7 on a team with a coach who actively tried to get him out of the league. Geiger wouldn't let him. Geiger shot 67% and scored 27 against prime Ilguashkas and prime Shawn Kemp. He shot 74% and scored 28 against DPOY Marcus Camby. Best of all... matched against constant double teams of Tim Duncan AND David Robinson... he did better than both of them!

Geiger - 22 / 13
Robinson only shot 29%! Geiger had more rebounds and points than Duncan!

Later that season, Geiger shot 78% vs. Garnett, while holding him way below his season average... while leading the Hornets in rebounds and steals!

From there, bad coaching, knee injuries and a botched drug test messed with Geiger's career. He was on his way to being the best player of all time and proved it on the court often. He remains the greatest "what if given a fair shot" player of all time.

Sadly, more people should be referring to him as "the greatest big man of all time."
*silence*
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
Ali Natural
Superstar

Post by Ali Natural »

Debate Ricky Rubio being the best "pure" PG in the NBA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Ali Natural wrote:Debate Ricky Rubio being the best "pure" PG in the NBA

Give me something more challenging.

If you're looking for a PG who passes better than everybody else... who plays defense better than everybody else... yep... Rubio is your guy.
Consider the top 5 players in apg this season. Sure, Rubio was only 4th. But look closer... and see what he did without hogging the ball like the other guys.

Usage %:
Paul - 23.7
Wall - 27.4
Lawson - 24.7
Rubio - 16.4
Curry - 28.3

Gee, you wonder if MN failed because they didn't give Rubio the ball enough. Not that he didn't take matters into his own hands when necessary. After all, he did lead the league in steals.

People pointed to Kevin Love as the Wolves best player. But look closer at that too. He averaged 15 ppg in the 3 seasons without Rubio.

He's averaged 26 ppg in the two healthy seasons with Rubio. Did Love really get that much better? Of course not. It was because Rubio was there... the best pure PG in the NBA.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Ali Natural wrote:Debate Ricky Rubio being the best "pure" PG in the NBA

Give me something more challenging.

If you're looking for a PG who passes better than everybody else... who plays defense better than everybody else... yep... Rubio is your guy.
Consider the top 5 players in apg this season. Sure, Rubio was only 4th. But look closer... and see what he did without hogging the ball like the other guys.

Usage %:
Paul - 23.7
Wall - 27.4
Lawson - 24.7
Rubio - 16.4
Curry - 28.3

Gee, you wonder if MN failed because they didn't give Rubio the ball enough. Not that he didn't take matters into his own hands when necessary. After all, he did lead the league in steals.

People pointed to Kevin Love as the Wolves best player. But look closer at that too. He averaged 15 ppg in the 3 seasons without Rubio.

He's averaged 26 ppg in the two healthy seasons with Rubio. Did Love really get that much better? Of course not. It was because Rubio was there... the best pure PG in the NBA.
:hail:

I'm convinced. We'll give you Conley and throw in our first round pick. Do it ABE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ali Natural
Superstar

Post by Ali Natural »

Lol

Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

Explain Bush being a better anger sports PG than you?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

deezna10 wrote:Explain Bush being a better anger sports PG than you?

Crafting mythical teams that will never play vs. one another is fun. You can throw wisdom, common sense, insight and even reality out the window. You can do anything and write anything... because it's 100% make believe.

It's in this world of make-believe that I agree that Bush is a better PG than AbeVigodaLive.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Crafting mythical teams that will never play vs. one another is fun. You can throw wisdom, common sense, insight and even reality out the window. You can do anything and write anything... because it's 100% make believe.

It's in this world of make-believe that I agree that Bush is a better PG than AbeVigodaLive.
But it's not make believe. We are all real people with all of our own skills. You agree that he's better at basketball than you ?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

deezna10 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

But it's not make believe. We are all real people with all of our own skills. You agree that he's better at basketball than you ?

No. Not at all. I'm probably a much better basketball player than him in real life. But that doesn't mean he's not the better PG for a fictitious team of strangers online.
Mikan
Rookie

Post by Mikan »

Tell me why Mikan is the GOAT