Captain Marvel thoughts

Talk about anything here.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Captain Marvel thoughts

Post by kobeunderbite »

-The "who am I?" thing did not work at all. It just ended up breaking that classic formula for character development where we discover a likable but flawed main guy but they suffer/grow through trials and tribulations and by the end, they're someone we feel a connection with. There are a lot of Marvel movies that were somewhere on a scale from 'decent' to 'suck' that at the least did a great job of establishing or building a character - Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Iron Man 2, Thor 1 for example.

It would have made much more sense to do a linear story so that we could invest in Carol being an underdog and her relationship with her mentor and the black friend. The first third of the movie should have been her origins, the second third should have been Kree stuff, and the last act should have been her finally remembering who she is Lion King style while discovering her true power. Then Carol might have been someone to root for and become invested in. Instead when she does remember who she is in this movie, it's unclear how much she's actually remembering and we still haven't seen enough of her past to care. It felt like the directors were trying to do something different for the sake of it and completely failed.

-Captain Marvel is a boring character, but she really has no character. She was all over the place - from quippy, to being a Thor 1-style fish out of water, to stoic/robotic. Brie Larson did a terrible job whenever the script asked her to be funny. The most important part of an origin movie should be building a hero the audience cares about and this completely failed in that regard. It would be impossible to describe her character or personality and that shouldn't be the case after we just spent two hours with her.

​-Samuel L Jackson was great and even better was the de-aging CGI they used on him. ​The cat scratch and ending with the "Avengers Initiative" doc were both cheesy as heck moments, in a bad way. Jude Law was great and the inclusion of Ronen, Coulson and the black guy from GotG were fun.

-The Stan Lee opening was awesome and a beautiful touch.

-I didn't like the first credits scene, it feels lazy when they just pull a shot from the dailies of the next movie. Also, call me crazy but did this make zero sense to anyone else? This entire time I've been expecting that Captain Marvel would arrive on earth with the Avengers not knowing who she is or how she was summoned, or that she'd help in space. This idea that they somehow found Fury's pager and actually cared enough about it to do science on it and obsess over it seems really weird to me and seems to make no sense.

So they assumed Fury would definitely know what to do in the event that half of the universe was wiped out and felt so strongly about this that they devoted all of their energy to this random pager that they somehow knew he was using in his last moments? Really weird. This would maybe make some sense if Hill didn't get dusted so that she could explain to them what the pager was, but absent that it's like they got to see the credits scene too.

-This post may come off as overly negative but I'm not trying to be. I just didn't really enjoy the movie very much. There were moments that had potential, like when she breaks free from the supreme intelligence, but I had a lot of trouble getting immersed here.

The movie is cruising towards $1 billion anyway so it's not like any of this matters. Just another big win for Marvel and I'm confident that Endgame will be a masterpiece, even if Captain Marvel has an undeservedly big role. Beyond that, I love this Spider-Man so I'm really looking forward to Far From Home, and we'll see what the board looks like when the universe is reset.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Re: Captain Marvel thoughts

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

Were you surprised that Brie Larson did not fit the role?

I could easily tell from the first trailer that she had no depth.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:Were you surprised that Brie Larson did not fit the role?

I could easily tell from the first trailer that she had no depth.

I don't think she's talented but no one could have done anything with a character written this poorly. Chadwick Boseman is talented but there was nothing he could do to make T'Challa an interesting character in BP.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

From all reviews seemed like everyone agreed that Larson is the main problem with the movie. Even from the trailer...I could tell she has no charisma. I heard rumors that she supposed to be taking over the helm in the MCU...since the big 3.. Iron man, Captian America & Thor might be taking a backseat in the future of MCU. If that is true...it gonna be a huge problem for Marvel/Disney. Who knows...maybe she will redeem her self in End Game.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Macrotus wrote:From all reviews seemed like everyone agreed that Larson is the main problem with the movie. Even from the trailer...I could tell she has no charisma. I heard rumors that she supposed to be taking over the helm in the MCU...since the big 3.. Iron man, Captian America & Thor might be taking a backseat in the future of MCU. If that is true...it gonna be a huge problem for Marvel/Disney. Who knows...maybe she will redeem her self in End Game.

I don't agree that she's the main problem. She sucks but the movie was bad besides for that.

Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and Black Panther will all take on plenty of lead, they were never going to make her "the" face.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

Kobeunderbite wrote:
Macrotus wrote:From all reviews seemed like everyone agreed that Larson is the main problem with the movie. Even from the trailer...I could tell she has no charisma. I heard rumors that she supposed to be taking over the helm in the MCU...since the big 3.. Iron man, Captian America & Thor might be taking a backseat in the future of MCU. If that is true...it gonna be a huge problem for Marvel/Disney. Who knows...maybe she will redeem her self in End Game.

I don't agree that she's the main problem. She sucks but the movie was bad besides for that.

Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and Black Panther will all take on plenty of lead, they were never going to make her "the" face.
I read somewhere she is under contract for 7+ MCU movies...more than Holland and Bossman. that would at least make her one of the big 3.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

So she got a shorter deal than Sebastian Stan? And the only reason Tom Holland didn't get a 10-picture deal is because of the Sony situation, Marvel will keep him around as long as they can.

She will be one of the leaders but not 'the' leader. And her character will play a lot better in the cosmic movies as she is hilariously overpowered.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

Sebastian is in a supporting role much like Samuel Jackson...and Samuel appeared in almost every MCU movies. Maybe Sebastian will take over Captian America role one day and gets his own movie...but until then. CM definitely gonna be one of the new big 3...if, not the leader of the pack.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Definitely one of the leaders, although more likely to figure in with the cosmic stories.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Shit movies are shit movies...glad kobeunderbite is finally realizing they are shit and just being pumped out as fast as possible to get suckers to pay for tickets...such an obvious money grab with garbage product
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

elartman1973 wrote:Shit movies are shit movies...glad kobeunderbite is finally realizing they are shit and just being pumped out as fast as possible to get suckers to pay for tickets...such an obvious money grab with garbage product

You ever get tired of coming across like an angry old man? I get that your tits aren’t as perky as they used to be and probably sag like fuck, but why take it out on us? :noidea:
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

LNS wrote:
elartman1973 wrote:Shit movies are shit movies...glad kobeunderbite is finally realizing they are shit and just being pumped out as fast as possible to get suckers to pay for tickets...such an obvious money grab with garbage product

You ever get tired of coming across like an angry old man? I get that your tits aren’t as perky as they used to be and probably sag like fuck, but why take it out on us? :noidea:
More childish comments as.usual

Ill just ignore you if that's your angle...I prefer talking to adults...
Do really expect a civil reply when you post stupid shit like that?
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

elartman1973 wrote:
LNS wrote:

More childish comments as.usual

Ill just ignore you if that's your angle...I prefer talking to adults...
Do really expect a civil reply when you post stupid shit like that?

:trumphuh:
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Why her, instead of WW?

Is it because Joo?
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Ali Natural
Superstar

Post by Ali Natural »

I thought it was boring but the kids liked it
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Complete fail again.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Going to see it tonight. I'm more excited for the previews than the movie. :lol:
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

I hope someday Disney opens a Marvel theme park....and artie will be painting giant size male underroos...;-)
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Saw it last night with the kiddos.

Call me nostalgic....but I dug all the 90's-era references/music. I thought the movie was decent...yet highly predictable.

The credit scene is definitely going to need some explanation in Endgame. Way too big of a plot hole to be ignored...
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
3effs
Hall of Famer

Post by 3effs »

Talos was great.

I’m disappointed that they are trying to make Captain Marvel the focus of the next phase of Marvel movies.