Married Folks - Tax Question

Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Married Folks - Tax Question

Post by Buckets »

I'm getting married in October and thus will be filing jointly next year. For tax purposes that means we will be combining incomes so instead of being taxed at $50k separately we will be taxed at $100k together (hypothetical numbers, you all can't know how much I make). So the jump in tax brackets will likely be a huge tax hit come this time next year.

Did any of you experience this increased tax hit? If so, what did you guys do?
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Re: Married Folks - Tax Question

Post by Robceltsfan »

Filing married gets you tax incentives, so you shouldn't be hurt much at all. However, if for some reason you find it's problematic to file as married, simply file separately for one more year. You aren't required by law to file married simply because you're married.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

I actually didn't notice much when we had our taxes done together. The guy that did our taxes showed us the numbers both single or jointly to see which way would be better for us or more on our return. It ended up better for us filing together.
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

Robceltsfan wrote:Filing married gets you tax incentives, so you shouldn't be hurt much at all. However, if for some reason you find it's problematic to file as married, simply file separately for one more year. You aren't required by law to file married simply because you're married.
Very informative. Didn't know it wasn't required. I guess I'll run through the tax calcs on both situations next year and see which is more beneficial. Thanks for the input!
Buckets

Post by Buckets »

deezna10 wrote:I actually didn't notice much when we had our taxes done together. The guy that did our taxes showed us the numbers both single or jointly to see which way would be better for us or more on our return. It ended up better for us filing together.
This jives with what Rob said above. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

As an accountant, I know the answer to this question.

Basically, to keep it short, you'll want to file jointly. I'm guessing the $100k isn't "too far" off your joint income, so you're under most more punitive tax thresholds anyway.

Now, knock her up quick and you'll really be able to clean up during tax season...
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

buy a home and deduct the interest
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:As an accountant, I know the answer to this question.

Basically, to keep it short, you'll want to file jointly. I'm guessing the $100k isn't "too far" off your joint income, so you're under most more punitive tax thresholds anyway.

Now, knock her up quick and you'll really be able to clean up during tax season...
Seriously, one of the biggest benefits to having kids. That $3000 tax credit almost makes it all worth it.

I wish I could help the OP more. My wife doesn't work so filing taxes is pretty easy for us.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:

Seriously, one of the biggest benefits to having kids. That $3000 tax credit almost makes it all worth it.

I wish I could help the OP more. My wives don't work so filing taxes is pretty easy for us.

I think most families can raise a kid for about $840 annually. So you'd be about $2200 ahead. Nice.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

lol at u scrubs paying your taxes
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Bush4Ever wrote:lol at u scrubs paying your taxes

I hate people like you. I would hate to live next to somebody as anti-American as you.

[Note: That being said, any houses up for sale on that block? Ours goes on the market next week...]
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Bush4Ever wrote:lol at u scrubs paying your taxes

I hate people like you. I would hate to live next to somebody as anti-American as you.

[Note: That being said, any houses up for sale on that block? Ours goes on the market next week...]
not fur yer types
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
dunkan5rings
Hall of Famer

Post by dunkan5rings »

Buckets wrote:I'm getting married in October
lol u stupid fuck
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Kingcarl24 wrote:

I wish I could help the OP more. My wife doesn't work so filing taxes is pretty easy for us.
None of your wives work?

Note: Where the hell were you on this one, Abe?
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.