Hope Solo: Youth soccer in United States has become 'rich, white kid sport'

Talk about anything here.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Re: Hope Solo: Youth soccer in United States has become 'rich, white kid sport'

Post by LNS »

CleveTown™ wrote:
LNS wrote:The real problem is soccer is boring as fuck
no is not you faggot. NFL is similar to soccer.

Lol yes, it is. The NFL is boring as fuck too, but at least the vicious hits make up for it. Low scoring sports suck in general. Baseball, hockey, soccer and football (technically it’s a low scoring sport, they just count one goal as 6 points with their retarded points system).
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow. That's kind of sad. It just shouldn't be that expensive. I get hockey. Maintaining ice rinks is expensive. Good skates, sticks and pads are expensive. There's no good reason for soccer to be priced out of even poor peoples' families.
This has been an ongoing issue for many years now.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

somberbostonian wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:

Wow. That's kind of sad. It just shouldn't be that expensive. I get hockey. Maintaining ice rinks is expensive. Good skates, sticks and pads are expensive. There's no good reason for soccer to be priced out of even poor peoples' families.
If you're a promising football prospect playing HS football, you'll eventually get discovered by scouts/coaches. If you're a promising soccer prospect playing HS soccer, you're going to slip through the cracks if you're not playing for one of these expensive youth club teams. The kids playing on these clubs are not necessarily the most skilled or promising. They're just the ones who can afford it.

The US Latino population is larger than the entire countries of Spain and Argentina, and you have a lot to work with if you can fully tap into this population (plus working class people of other demos). But the way the US scouts/develops players in the crucial age range of 14-21 is so drastically different from how the elite countries do it, that it will take significant overhaul for any noticeable progress to happen. Similar situation has infiltrated baseball in this country: both *should* be blue-collar/working-class sports but the cost to play on these travel teams is a huge obstacle if your family is not as well off.
All of this. ^^^

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

somberbostonian wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:

If you're a promising football prospect playing HS football, you'll eventually get discovered by scouts/coaches. If you're a promising soccer prospect playing HS soccer, you're going to slip through the cracks if you're not playing for one of these expensive youth club teams. The kids playing on these clubs are not necessarily the most skilled or promising. They're just the ones who can afford it.

The US Latino population is larger than the entire countries of Spain and Argentina, and you have a lot to work with if you can fully tap into this population (plus working class people of other demos). But the way the US scouts/develops players in the crucial age range of 14-21 is so drastically different from how the elite countries do it, that it will take significant overhaul for any noticeable progress to happen. Similar situation has infiltrated baseball in this country: both *should* be blue-collar/working-class sports but the cost to play on these travel teams is a huge obstacle if your family is not as well off.

You can apply this same post to Canada, Finland, Sweden in hockey.