NFL Opener Has Lowest Ratings In Ten Years

Talk about anything here.
FPL
Hall of Famer

NFL Opener Has Lowest Ratings In Ten Years

Post by FPL »

The 2018 NFL season kicked off on Thursday (September 6) on a low note, with the ratings down 8% from the 2017 season opener. The game between the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles and their conference rivals, the Atlanta Falcons, drew just a 13.4 overnight rating, which was the lowest since 2008. Ratings for the NFL opener have been steadily dropping every year since 2014.

The start of the game was delayed by almost an hour due to severe thunderstorms in the Philadelphia area. Moments before the pre-game ceremony was set to begin, players headed back inside the locker room and fans were asked to leave their seats and find cover in the concourse until the storms passed.

The game itself got off to a slow start and was filled with many penalties. The action picked up in the second half as the Eagles rallied for a late touchdown and stopped the Falcons from scoring in the final minutes to cement an 18-12 victory.

The NFL has continued to face controversy around players taking a knee during the national anthem prior to the game. The league had tried to push the issue to the back-burner but Nike brought it to the forefront after announcing that Colin Kaepernick, who started the protest movement in 2016, was the face of their new advertising campaign.

The only player to protest during the national anthem was Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett.
Source
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Re: NFL Opener Has Lowest Ratings In Ten Years

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

I'm shocked!
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Lol I will gladly show the door to anybody who would stop watching a sport because of kneeling.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

gaskill15 wrote:Lol I will gladly show the door to anybody who would stop watching a sport because of kneeling.
Game started after 9 on the East coast, and the game was largely boring.

I'm sure that doesn't help either.

I watched the game with a group of 13 people, so it's not always how many people watching either, but the TVs, of course.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
gaskill15 wrote:Lol I will gladly show the door to anybody who would stop watching a sport because of kneeling.

I watched the game with a group of 13 people, so it's not always how many people watching either, but the TVs, of course.
Yeah I think the NFL will persevere through these very difficult times.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

gaskill15 wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:

Yeah I think the NFL will persevere through these very difficult times.
TV as a whole is taking a hit. I think they can live with those declines.
Last edited by somberbostonian on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

NOONE LIKES US WE DON'T CARE!
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Not saying the president vs NFL battle is irrelevant... but there may be other issues at play, too.

Everybody knew poplularity would begin to wane amid the concussion stuff, declining participation, etc.
trump was savvy enough to see that too when he made this an ongoing fight.
3effs
Hall of Famer

Post by 3effs »

NFL will be unrecognizable in 20 years.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

I can't think of anything more productive than sitting on my ass for 4 hours to take in 11 minutes of action...
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Not saying the president vs NFL battle is irrelevant... but there may be other issues at play, too.

Everybody knew poplularity would begin to wane amid the concussion stuff, declining participation, etc.
trump was savvy enough to see that too when he made this an ongoing fight.
Flag-fests like last night's game will do more to turn off viewers than any other factor. Had 26 flags and that's despite the lowering-the-helmet rule being a non-factor in that game. I read a couple weeks ago that HS participation is down to its lowest level since 2004, so that's a trend that will be interesting to monitor in the years ahead.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.