Remember when the NFL wasn't a sissy league?

Talk about anything here.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Remember when the NFL wasn't a sissy league?

Post by kobeunderbite »

Me neither :L
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Re: Remember when the NFL wasn't a sissy league?

Post by gaskill15 »

That leading with a helmet rule is probably the dumbest rule in any sport of all-time. Defenders are so handicapped by the rules it's a joke.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

I honestly hope that they just called it wrong there because that's clearly a clean tackle.

Sendejo wore this hat recently...

thedangerouskitchen
G.O.A.T.

Post by thedangerouskitchen »

TDK said it last week:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95145&p=1389257&hil ... e#p1389257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and it looks like that's exactly where the NFL is (eventually) heading.

:roll: at the flaming liberal-led agenda to pussify America.

Shameful!
"Today's NBA is soft, the Defense is weak, and the rules 'really' favor the Offense."

"Lebron doesn’t guard for a full game and our game plan was to get him to play defense and he left me open all game."
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

This is the only legit reason to boycott the NFL. The integrity of the game is at stake here. If we hurt their bottom line, they'll be forced to change the product back to the customer's original specs.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

I said this awhile ago and I still think it's true. The game of football will be dramatically different in 10-20 years. There's no way the current way it's played stays the same when we get more and more information about concussions back.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Kingcarl24 wrote:I said this awhile ago and I still think it's true. The game of football will be dramatically different in 10-20 years. There's no way the current way it's played stays the same when we get more and more information about concussions back.
It's a process and eventually the league will likely strike a balance that "sort of" makes sense between retaining the key elements of the game and reducing the number of concussions players receive and how they are treated so that they aren't all blubbering messes by the age of 50 like so many of them are.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Why don't they just wear really padded helmets? Duh?
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Kobeunderbite wrote:Why don't they just wear really padded helmets? Duh?
Funny, but I've wondered that very thing in the past. Right now, with the ridiculously hard surface of helmets, they are literally almost torpedoes. Could it be that hard to make an outer surface that is considerably more forgiving on impact?
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Funny, but I've wondered that very thing in the past. Right now, with the ridiculously hard surface of helmets, they are literally almost torpedoes. Could it be that hard to make an outer surface that is considerably more forgiving on impact?
Or just remove it entirely so players learn to tackle while also protecting themselves? :noidea:
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

That's not even a penalty under the Lowering the helmet rule.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
There must be an obvious answer but I'm with you. I don't get it. Wouldn't a layer of nerf on top help?
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Kobeunderbite wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
There must be an obvious answer but I'm with you. I don't get it. Wouldn't a layer of nerf on top help?
Saw this a year back. Pretty interesting stuff.

phpBB [video]
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

The NFL is trying to make it seem like they care about player health. Too late for that. This is just to cover their ass legally.

Hopefully, this is like the NBA’s annual point of emphasis that eventually goes away as the season progresses. If not, are we supposed to be impressed by 700 yard passing games? The other new rule (Aaron Rodgers/Anthony Barr) is just as bad.
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The NFL is trying to make it seem like they care about player health. Too late for that. This is just to cover their ass legally.

Hopefully, this is like the NBA’s annual point of emphasis that eventually goes away as the season progresses. If not, are we supposed to be impressed by 700 yard passing games? The other new rule (Aaron Rodgers/Anthony Barr) is just as bad.
We should impressed by something. Watching a team's backup QB imitate the University of Minnesota passing game is not impressive and not something anybody wants to watch. QBs should be very protected.
Image Vaccines Image

Cannot redeclare utf8_encode
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

It's the only way to get them from leading with their heads.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

TheSaboteur wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:The NFL is trying to make it seem like they care about player health. Too late for that. This is just to cover their ass legally.

We should impressed by something. Watching a team's backup QB imitate the University of Minnesota passing game is not impressive and not something anybody wants to watch. QBs should be very protected.

You’re baiting me to post the gawd-awful gophers passing stats again aren’t you?

Worse that California!
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

They should only be allowed to arm tackle.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

There was a bad call with the new rule in the Bears Ravens HOF game as well. Not sure what you're supposed to do as Safety on a guy whose bigger than you...