phpBB [video]

@abevigodalive
@Dagger

:banderas:
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Re: How the T-Wolves Ruined Their Future

Post by kobeunderbite »

There never was a bright future because it's the TPups. It was just a question of how exactly they would screw things up.
Dagger
Superstar

Post by Dagger »

who the fuck needs a 12 minute video to say “gave Wiggins $150M”...?
"Immigrants - we get the job done!"

zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

I tried to warn Abe about this. I literally told him the day Thibs was hired that he would destroy the team. He didn’t wanna listen.

I hate to say “I told you so”, but....

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Dagger wrote:who the fuck needs a 12 minute video to say “gave Wiggins $150M”...?

You forgot:

-Hiring Thibs
-Trading for Jimmy G. Buckets

Dagger
Superstar

Post by Dagger »

LNS wrote:
Dagger wrote:who the fuck needs a 12 minute video to say “gave Wiggins $150M”...?

You forgot:

-Hiring Thibs

Both of those were fine and moves worth making.
Last edited by Dagger on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Dagger wrote:
LNS wrote:

You forgot:

-Hiring Thibs

Both of those were fine and moved worth making.

:haha2:
Dagger
Superstar

Post by Dagger »

LNS wrote:
Dagger wrote:
LNS wrote:

You forgot:

-Hiring Thibs

Sorry, but if you have not personally been a fan of a team that - excluding one fateful draft decision - could not win even 30 games in a season over a 30 year franchise history, you have no grounds to judge said small market team for taking some chances on proven coaches or proven top 10 two-way players to try to turn the fates around.

Wiggins extension was very questionable. Jimmy trade was an excellent move whether they get only two years out of him or not. And not going to fault Thibs for “overusing” guys (boo hoo) when he helped steer the Wolves towards 51 win level (full season win % in games Butler played) in his 2nd year.

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Dagger wrote:
LNS wrote:
Dagger wrote:

Sorry, but if you have not personally been a fan of a team that - excluding one fateful draft decision - could not win even 30 games in a season over a 30 year franchise history, you have no grounds to judge said small market team for taking some chances on proven coaches or proven top 10 two-way players to try to turn the fates around.

Wiggins extension was very questionable. Jimmy trade was an excellent move whether they get only two years out of him or not. And not going to fault Thibs for “overusing” guys (boo hoo) when he helped steer the Wolves towards 51 win level (full season win % in games Butler played) in his 2nd year.

It sounds more like you’re just used to failure and don’t know any better. To you a gamble on a malcontent player and a stubborn anal-retentive coach is worth the risk because it beats trusting the players to develop. Timberwolves fans try to portray themselves as this nonchalant roll-with-the-punches bunch and I think it’s adorable. :lol:

Not that I think much of Lauri Markkanen but when you add Dunn and LaVine to the mix that’s certainly better than two seasons of Butler. The Wolves basically tried to “win now” with a guy who never won anything and a bunch of youngsters. :laugh3:
Dagger
Superstar

Post by Dagger »

Butler a “malcontent” oh come on, hardly, and we don’t even know how this will play out. Good a chance they trade him for some quality assets as anything.

And no, thinking Lavine is any kind of value, or Dunn for that matter so far, shows how idiotic you are on this topic. Those guys were not taking them anywhere.

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Dagger wrote:Butler a “malcontent” oh come on, hardly, and we don’t even know how this will play out. Good a chance they trade him for some quality assets as anything.

And no, thinking Lavine is any kind of value, or Dunn for that matter so far, shows how idiotic you are on this topic. Those guys were not taking them anywhere.

Why exactly was Butler brought in?

And I don’t think LaVine and Dunn are taking anyone anywhere, I think they’re just pieces. But they’re still clearly better than whatever the Wolves will get back in a trade for an older Jimmy G. Buckets. You also conveniently left out the top 10 pick they gave up too. The Wolves should’ve let things play out a bit longer, but instead they got Thib’d.

:ape:
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

1. Glen Taylor.
2. Andrew Wiggins.

Those two are at the top of the list for why the Wolves aren't looking like the ascendant team so many predicted a couple of years ago.

There are other reasons, including Thibodeau, Butler and Towns... but those are much more nuanced takes and each brings pros and cons to the table to varying degrees. The fact is that Glen Taylor is a terrible, inept owner and Andrew Wiggins might have the league's worst contract. I can go into detail on all this... but I don't even think most people care.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:1. Glen Taylor.
2. Andrew Wiggins.

Those two are at the top of the list for why the Wolves aren't looking like the ascendant team so many predicted a couple of years ago.

There are other reasons, including Thibodeau, Butler and Towns... but those are much more nuanced takes and each brings pros and cons to the table to varying degrees. The fact is that Glen Taylor is a terrible, inept owner and Andrew Wiggins might have the league's worst contract. I can go into detail on all this... but I don't even think most people care.

I care, Mr. Abe Vigoda.

Did you watch the video? The creator of it believes KAT can/will eventually win an MVP in his career. I know these types of things are incredibly difficult to predict but do you think that’s an accurate take? I had no idea he struggled on defense like he does, TBH I didn’t exactly watch a lot of Timberwolves games last season.
Dagger
Superstar

Post by Dagger »

LNS wrote:
2. Andrew Wiggins.

I care, Mr. Abe Vigoda.

Did you watch the video? The creator of it believes KAT can/will eventually win an MVP in his career. I know these types of things are incredibly difficult to predict but do you think that’s an accurate take? I had no idea he struggled on defense like he does, TBH I didn’t exactly watch a lot of Timberwolves games last season.
Or much basketball at all based on your hot takes earlier in the thread. Thinking LaVine is worth anything is a classic great sign of an extreme casual fan.

ERMERGERD LOOK AT THEM DUNKS, HE’S A SUPERSTAR!

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

Dagger wrote:
LNS wrote:
2. Andrew Wiggins.

I care, Mr. Abe Vigoda.

Or much basketball at all based on your hot takes earlier in the thread. Thinking LaVine is worth anything is a classic great sign of an extreme casual fan.

“Two seasons of Butler was worth giving up a top 10 pick in a loaded draft, LaVine, and Dunn.”

-That’sTheFagger

:mjlaugh:
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

Didn't the Wolves just make the playoffs for the first time in like 15 years?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Dagger wrote:
LNS wrote:
2. Andrew Wiggins.

I care, Mr. Abe Vigoda.

I'm 97% certain that Zach Lavine can't shoot a layup with his left hand. Maybe he showed it last year in Chicago? I dunno.

That doesn't mean he's bad. He's a really smooth player who can shoot. There's legit potential there. Defensively, he might be the worst defender in the league. I know so many claim defense doesn't matter... meh.

Every season, guys who can't play defense get played off the court in the playoffs... or their teams simply lose. That's not hyperbole. It's truth. Zach Lavine can't play defense at any sort of competent level right now. Conversely, Dunn was mentioned earlier in this thread, too. I really dug that guy and called him Marcus Smart v2.0. I don't know if he's quite that good defensively, and he can't switch as easily, but he had that sort of bulldog take on it. And he could be slightly better offensively, eventually. But do you pin your franchise hopes on that sort of player?
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

rileymartin wrote:Didn't the Wolves just make the playoffs for the first time in like 15 years?

First time in 14 seasons... won 16 more games than the previous season.

To be fair, even Wolves didn't seem happy with it. Weird season. It's not a fun team to watch. They play a bit too much iso ball (especially late). The coach can be heard on TV (or in person) screaming constantly. The effort isn't always there. They don't really play a modern style. They're predictable. They ignore the team's best offensive player for vast stretches. The young players are too entitled. The vet player(s) think(s) he's perfect. Et al.

But they were relevant and won games. Finally.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

The top 10 pick?

:yao:
Dagger
Superstar

Post by Dagger »

LNS wrote:
Dagger wrote:
LNS wrote:

I care, Mr. Abe Vigoda.

“Two seasons of Butler was worth giving up a top 10 pick in a loaded draft, LaVine, and Dunn.”

-That’sTheFagger
Yes. We should definitely judge all decisions in hindsight and before stories completely play out.

You’d make a great GM.