What do you think about the "Player's Only" broadcasts on TNT/NBATV?

Talk about anything here.
FPL
Hall of Famer

What do you think about the "Player's Only" broadcasts on TNT/NBATV?

Post by FPL »

At first it was kind of an isolated feature, now it seems it's expanding.

IMO...

Pros-

• Some of the banter is pretty good and can come off as watching the game casually with friends.
• Players have insights that the rest of us do not.
• It might help identify broadcasting talent among NBA alumni which might not have been noticed if not for the wider net.

Cons-

• There is no standard play-by-play guy, so it's hard to follow the game by listening, since the guys drag off.
• Some of the players are really bad at the whole thing. Caron Butler on the sideline and Rip Hamilton behind the booth in particular.
• It went from a novelty to practically a mainstay, and might be overplayed.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Re: What do you think about the "Player's Only" broadcasts on TNT/NBATV?

Post by kobeunderbite »

It only works with the right guys. The problem is that there aren't many "right guys." So many former pros are just terrible at the whole analyst/color commentary/sideline reporter thing, and in my opinion for the most part you've either got it or you don't. In other words Butler, Billups, Hamilton, Pierce and others will probably always be terrible (in my opinion they all suck).

This isn't an NBA-exclusive problem though. For every Ron Darling it seems like there are ten Tom Seaver's in baseball.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

I'm not sure if it was popular around the NBA, but two ex-Cavs players could step right in day 1: Channing Frye and Richard Jefferson.

They had a podcast called, "Road Trippin" when they were on the road in between games. It was very popular among Cavs fans. https://www.uninterrupted.com/podcasts/ ... ad-trippin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think they have a future as commentators in some capacity when they finish their careers, if they choose.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
vegasfraud
All-Time Great

Post by vegasfraud »

i think it's pretty bad.
QueenCuckCarl has no clue how many men his whore wife has fucked...ask him.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

It's not as bad as the Area 21 has been, but I'm not a fan of it as a full-time thing.

If they sprinkle in 5-10 "Players Only" National Broadcasts throughout the year, I'd be on board with that though.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Kobeunderbite wrote:It only works with the right guys. The problem is that there aren't many "right guys." So many former pros are just terrible at the whole analyst/color commentary/sideline reporter thing, and in my opinion for the most part you've either got it or you don't. In other words Butler, Billups, Hamilton, Pierce and others will probably always be terrible (in my opinion they all suck).

This isn't an NBA-exclusive problem though. For every Ron Darling it seems like there are ten Tom Seaver's in baseball.
Preach! :hail: