What would these greats of yore stat lines look like in today's NBA ?

Talk about anything here.
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Re: What would these greats of yore stat lines look like in today's NBA ?

Post by Master Spade »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
I just want to point one thing out: despite all the empirical evidence, you are now leveraging a single quote from a player you have spent over decade discrediting to "prove" your point.

Think about that for a minute, man.
Oh trust me, it is way more than just kobe that thinks that same thing.

As for me "discrediting" kobe, I only stated facts about him when his kids said he would become the "GOAT". He didn't, which I told them. Even back then, I told them that kobe was an All Time Great, just not nearly as great as they hoped.

As for the rules, they Started implementing new rules in the 99-00 season. After that they kept changing the rules until getting rid of the hand check completely in 04 or 05, can't remember which exactly.
You have no rational argument. You simply took numbers out of your ass and are making shit up as you go along. Were those 2004 Pistons handcuffed defensively by those "new rules" you are blathering about. The only one that mattered was handcheck as far as really helping offenses, and those while implemented for the 05 season, weren't enforced till 2006 season. And that's been significantly relaxed since then.
So you don't agree with kobe? With Phil? What makes you think you would know more than those 2?

:?:
I would rather DIE Standing on my Feet, than Live Life on my Knees!!
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

As for me "discrediting" kobe, I only stated facts about him when his kids said he would become the "GOAT". He didn't, which I told them. Even back then, I told them that kobe was an All Time Great, just not nearly as great as they hoped.

As for the rules, they Started implementing new rules in the 99-00 season. After that they kept changing the rules until getting rid of the hand check completely in 04 or 05, can't remember which exactly.
You have no rational argument. You simply took numbers out of your ass and are making shit up as you go along. Were those 2004 Pistons handcuffed defensively by those "new rules" you are blathering about. The only one that mattered was handcheck as far as really helping offenses, and those while implemented for the 05 season, weren't enforced till 2006 season. And that's been significantly relaxed since then.
So you don't agree with kobe? With Phil? What makes you think you would know more than those 2?

If you can't make a rational argument and rely on appeal to authority, I'll accept that as surrender.
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
I just want to point one thing out: despite all the empirical evidence, you are now leveraging a single quote from a player you have spent over decade discrediting to "prove" your point.

Think about that for a minute, man.

1999-2000 was the first year they made rules to eliminate hand checking and others rules to make it easier for offense.

Sooooo..................

:D
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

1999-2000 was the first year they made rules to eliminate hand checking and others rules to make it easier for offense.

Sooooo..................

No. Handcheck rules as they are now we're introduced for the 2004/5 season but weren't rigorously enforced until the following season. Christ, do you even remember the 04 Pistons, the 03 Spurs etc..
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Sooooo..................

No. Handcheck rules as they are now we're introduced for the 2004/5 season but weren't rigorously enforced until the following season. Christ, do you even remember the 04 Pistons, the 03 Spurs etc..
2004/05 was when they made rules to "Curtail" handchecking. But it all started in 99-00. That is when they started implementing the modern rules that made it easier for the offense.

According to NBA.com:

1999-00
• In the backcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders. In the frontcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders except below the free throw line extended in which case the defender may only use his forearm. In the post, neither the offensive player nor the defender is allowed to dislodge or displace a player who has legally obtained a position. Defender may not use his forearm, shoulder, hip or hand to reroute or hold-up an offensive player going from point A to point B or one who is attempting to come around a legal screen set by another offensive player. Slowing or impeding the progress of the screener by grabbing, clutching, holding “chucking” or “wrapping up” is prohibited.

soooooooo..............

8-)
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

In 2004... one Eastern Conference team averaged more than 95 ppg. And only 6 in the NBA.
In 2005... 9 Eastern Conference teams averaged 95+ ppg and 20 NBA teams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/13/sport ... oints.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://newsok.com/article/3445220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Strange thread with a lot of red.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

Sooooo..................

2004/05 was when they made rules to "Curtail" handchecking. But it all started in 99-00. That is when they starting implementing the modern rules that made it easier for the offense.

According to NBA.com:

1999-00
• In the backcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders. In the frontcourt, there is no contact with hands and forearms by defenders except below the free throw line extended in which case the defender may only use his forearm. In the post, neither the offensive player nor the defender is allowed to dislodge or displace a player who has legally obtained a position. Defender may not use his forearm, shoulder, hip or hand to reroute or hold-up an offensive player going from point A to point B or one who is attempting to come around a legal screen set by another offensive player. Slowing or impeding the progress of the screener by grabbing, clutching, holding “chucking” or “wrapping up” is prohibited.

soooooooo..............

8-)
Funny that from the same source you didn't post the part about the league introducing new rules on hand checking before the 05 season.

Even then, they weren't seriously enforced until the 2006 season.

Like I said earlier, you just talk out your ass. NOBODY cared a thing or said a damn thing about hand checking rules till the 2006 season.

In 2004, the Detroit Pistons had a defensive rating of 95. That sound like easy scoring for the offense? I didn't think so.

Meanwhile, the big Bad Boy Pistons that won two rings had defensive ratings of 104 in a league with an average defensive rating of about 107. So where was that great late 80s early 90s defense?
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
2004/05 was when they made rules to "Curtail" handchecking. But it all started in 99-00. That is when they starting implementing the modern rules that made it easier for the offense.

According to NBA.com:

1999-00

soooooooo..............

8-)
Funny that from the same source you didn't post the part about the league introducing new rules on hand checking before the 05 season.

Like I said earlier, you just talk out your ass. NOBODY cared a thing or said a damn thing about hand checking rules till the 2006 season.

In 2004, the Detroit Pistons had a defensive rating of 95. That sound like easy scoring for the offense? I didn't think so.

Meanwhile, the big Bad Boy Pistons that won two rings had defensive ratings of 104 in a league with an average defensive rating of about 107. So where was that great late 80s early 90s defense?
So again, you just insult and ignore the facts I posted. I said the NBA started making rule changes in 99/00 to make it easier for players to score and inflate their numbers. I proved that in that the NBA DID start making their changes. But........you insult and ignore......even after I proved it to you.

You also ignored Phil Jackson and kobe saying that with those rule changes the it is now easier to score and takes less skill/talent.

Insult and ignore must be how you cope with the Facts?

BTW, try smiling. :D
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

According to NBA.com:

1999-00

soooooooo..............

8-)

So again, you just insult and ignore the facts I posted. I said the NBA started making rule changes in 99/00 to make it easier for players to score and inflate their numbers. I proved that in that the NBA DID start making their changes. But........you insult and ignore......even after I proved it to you.

You also ignored Phil Jackson and kobe saying that with those rule changes the it is now easier to score and takes less skill/talent.

Your take was stupid. 42/11/10 on 57% shooting is beyond stupid.

It remains dumb. It's been shown to you to be stupid by several here with good old facts. You don't like facts.
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Post by dwcmwa »

Master Spade brought a shotgun and grizz brought a peashooter in this thread, ouch.

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

dwcmwa wrote:Master Spade brought a shotgun and grizz brought a peashooter in this thread, ouch.

Oh look. Larry just arrived to back his buddies Curly and Moe!
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Post by dwcmwa »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

It remains dumb. It's been shown to you to be stupid by several here with good old facts. You don't like facts.
Besides Phil and Kobe........Barkley, Larry Brown, Jeff Van Gundy and Alonzo Mourning also said Jordan at minimum would average over 40ppg in today's NBA.

Others have said similar things.

Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

dwcmwa wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

Besides Phil and Kobe........Barkley, Larry Brown, Jeff Van Gundy and Alonzo Mourning also said Jordan at minimum would average over 40ppg in today's NBA.
No doubt. Let's see what Larry Brown said:

Larry Brown - "You can't even touch a guy now. I always tease Michael, if he played today, he'd average 50."
- Brown coached the 2004 and 2005 Pistons defense that shut down Kobe and Duncan to 38% and 42% shooting in the Finals, respectively.

How about Joe Dumars:

Joe Dumars, 1989 Finals MVP, first laughed, "It would have been virtually impossible to defend Michael Jordan based on the way the game's being called right now."
- Joe Dumars as President of Basketball Operations for the Pistons was largely responsible for building the dominating Pistons defense of the 2000s that shut down Kobe to 38% in the Finals and made Tim Duncan have his worst FG% in an NBA Finals.

I guess those pros are also "Talking out of their Ass"? :noidea:

:noidea:
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Sure, Jordan could average 40 ppg....if he took 27+ FGA’s per game.

So could Lebron, and Durant, and Harden, and Curry, etc.

But it wouldn’t be conducive to winning, so Jordan wouldn’t do it. Let’s say Jordan averaged 27 FGA’s and shot something insane like 60% on 2’s and 4 3P FGA’s at 40% shooting while taking 12 FTA’s on 85%.

That would be 42.6 PPG. But Jordan only took that many shots once ever....in a season where his team was sub-.500....and you’re assuming that a player would chuck like that in a league where chucking shots at that pace has become a non-normal event even among the highest tier of scorers. Westbrook leads the league with 21.5 FGA’s this year....and he was BY FAR the leader with 24.0 last year.

Do I think Jordan could average 40 a game in today’s league? Absolutely, given enough field goal attempts. But it wouldn’t lead to consistent winning. And I think guys like Durant and Curry could get to 40PPG much easier in today’s game than young, prime Jordan could.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

dwcmwa wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

Others have said similar things.
There was hyperbole in the 2006 season. And justifiably so. That season was goofy, with 6 wings getting 10 FTAs or more per game and handcheck rules were enforced at their absolute peak, culminating in Wade's finals.

That season, all top ten leading scorers were wings (calling Dirk a wing here since he's definitely not a post player) who ALL had new highs in FTAs. That's goofy. All but two had career highs in shooting percentage and one who didn't was Kobe and that made sense since he was taking way more shots and didn't have Shaq to draw away defensive attention. I think nine of ten had career highs in points. That really was an aberration as rules were enforced at a silly level.

Those days are long gone now. A few guys like Harden are extremely adept at flopping/attracting fouls but even LeBron who attacks the rim consistently and draws contact all the time doesn't get near that many FTAs now. Defenses and officials have adjusted. Defensive ratings are not dramatically better or worse than historical norms.

In my first post, I said MJ would average a little more than he did and on slightly higher efficiency. That's rational based on known data. The outlandish takes, especially those that combine much higher point totals and higher efficiency are just stupid. Even MJ himself at his athletic prime and his highest scoring season had lower efficiency because his attempts went up significantly. Some of the takes also have him essentially doubling his rebounds and dimes. WTF?
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Master Spade wrote:
dwcmwa wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Larry Brown - "You can't even touch a guy now. I always tease Michael, if he played today, he'd average 50."
- Brown coached the 2004 and 2005 Pistons defense that shut down Kobe and Duncan to 38% and 42% shooting in the Finals, respectively.

How about Joe Dumars:

Joe Dumars, 1989 Finals MVP, first laughed, "It would have been virtually impossible to defend Michael Jordan based on the way the game's being called right now."
- Joe Dumars as President of Basketball Operations for the Pistons was largely responsible for building the dominating Pistons defense of the 2000s that shut down Kobe to 38% in the Finals and made Tim Duncan have his worst FG% in an NBA Finals.

Wait. I thought you said the rules after 2000 were what made scoring go up dramatically? But with those rules Duncan had his worst shooting and Kobe did too?

Facts are facts. Defensive ratings are in line with historic norms including when the Bad Boy Pistons were piling up body bags according to some of the loons here. You want to fall for silly hyperbole because it feeds your agenda, I can't help you.
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
dwcmwa wrote:

How about Joe Dumars:

Wait. I thought you said the rules after 2000 were what made scoring go up dramatically? But with those rules Duncan had his worst shooting and Kobe did too?

Facts are facts. Defensive ratings are in line with historic norms including when the Bad Boy Pistons were piling up body bags according to some of the loons here. You want to fall for silly hyperbole because it feeds your agenda, I can't help you.
Dumars was the architect of that Defense. Plus he played against those players. So his opinion is prized. He should know. With what he did know, they shut down those 2 players. But according to him, it would be impossible to contain Jordan based on today's game rules. His opinion, based on everything he knows. I'll take his word for it.

As for hyperbole and things that feed agenda, you only commented on what fed your hyperbole. The Irony.

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:

How about Joe Dumars:

Dumars was the architect of that Defense. Plus he played against those players. So his opinion is prized. He should know. With what he did know, they shut down those 2 players. But according to him, it would be impossible to contain Jordan based on today's game rules. His opinion, based on everything he knows. I'll take his word for it.

As for hyperbole and things that feed agenda, you only commented on what fed your hyperbole. The Irony.

You'll take his word for it because of the agenda you carry because it lines up with your extreme pro MJ bias.

What's my agenda. I answered the OP. I gave my opinion on every guy that was asked. I said MJ up small ppg with better efficiency. Bird up a little more. KAJ and Hakeem down some because they'd see fewer touches in a three point dominated league, Wilt down the most in part because of pace with Magic the hardest to figure out.

You? You ignored everyone except MJ and not only claimed his points and efficiency would jump dramatically to 42 ppg and 57%, but that his assists and rebounds would magically explode so that he would average 11 and 10 of those. I think it's pretty obvious who has an agenda and also has his head firmly up his ass but without the self awareness to recognize it.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Master Spade wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

If you can't make a rational argument and rely on appeal to authority, I'll accept that as surrender.

An appeal to authority is only a logical fallacy when the authority you appeal to, i,e, cite is not an authority on the topic you are referring to.

That being said even legitimate authorities can have half baked opinions on topics they are authorities in.

Michael said Kobe is better than LeBron because Kobe has two more championships. By that metric Bill Russell is better than him. Few people hold that position including me.