What would these greats of yore stat lines look like in today's NBA ?

Talk about anything here.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

What would these greats of yore stat lines look like in today's NBA ?

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

Michael Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Wilt
Bird
Olajuwon
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Re: What would these greats of yore stat lines look like in today's NBA ?

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Out of that group, Bird's game would translate the best to the modern NBA. Hakeem would be very good also.

I think Wilt's usual game would translate the worst (by far).

I think Magic would be slightly out-of-place as well.

Then again, all of those guys had several steps to give in the first place, so I doubt there would be any radical changes to the basic stat lines for most. Even Bird, since stars seem to play fewer minutes a game on average these days.

Wilt is the only one that I think would see a big hit.

Bird-slight increase...maybe a bit more in a higher usage situation
Jordan - about the same
Magic - slight decrease
Kareem -about the same (Lakers years)
Hakeem- about the same

IMO
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Agree with Bush on Bird. I'm impressed with how well Joe Ingles is performing this season; particularly during the win streak. He's a poor man's, homeless dude's bitch, Bird.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Johnnyblazzed wrote:Agree with Bush on Bird. I'm impressed with how well Joe Ingles is performing this season; particularly during the win streak. He's a poor man's, homeless dude's bitch, Bird.
I love that every tall, white dude in the league that can shoot is compared with Bird. Some draft analyst are even comparing Luka Doncic to Bird. Again, tall white guy that can shoot.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

bIRD would benefit the most out of the group...aside from him...non of the other can shoot a lick of 3s.
Last edited by Macrotus on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

I don't agree on Wilt. His rebounding might suffer a bit due to the increased outside shooting emphasis, but he'd still be dominant, and his assists would likely increase as he kicks it outside.
Points - he was incredibly athletic and a finesse scorer. Unlikely to change much.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

Hakeem would beast, but he would have to be on a team that utilized his skills and focused on inside out ball.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Shill Jackson wrote:I don't agree on Wilt. His rebounding might suffer a bit due to the increased outside shooting emphasis, but he'd still be dominant, and his assists would likely increase as he kicks it outside.
Points - he was incredibly athletic and a finesse scorer. Unlikely to change much.
http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/04/bac ... amberlain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting scouting report that speaks to some of these issues.

Edit: And there is no question whatsoever his counting statistics would be less by volume...simply as a function of minutes/pace and the like.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Johnnyblazzed wrote:Agree with Bush on Bird. I'm impressed with how well Joe Ingles is performing this season; particularly during the win streak. He's a poor man's, homeless dude's bitch, Bird.
I love that every tall, white dude in the league that can shoot is compared with Bird. Some draft analyst are even comparing Luka Doncic to Bird. Again, tall white guy that can shoot.
Not old enough to have watched Bird. But the bits I've seen of him, he wasn't athletic, a leaper, but hell of smart and crafty. Ingles isn't near Bird's level - but you got my point. If Ingles can play this well in this era, Bird would kick ass.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Johnnyblazzed wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Not old enough to have watched Bird. But the bits I've seen of him, he wasn't athletic, a leaper, but hell of smart and crafty. Ingles isn't near Bird's level - but you got my point. If Ingles can play this well in this era, Bird would kick ass.

I agree. I think Bird's skill transfers well. I see a little better than prime Dirk....
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Johnnyblazzed wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

I agree. I think Bird's skill transfers well. I see a little better than prime Dirk....
Bird would be a filthy rich man’s Rashard Lewis with Boris Diaw’s passing and Ron Artest’s toughness minus the crazy (better?).
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

rtiff68 wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Johnnyblazzed wrote:

Bird would be a filthy rich man’s Rashard Lewis with Boris Diaw’s passing and Ron Artest’s toughness minus the crazy (better?).
:cheetah:

much better.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

How would the likes if Stockton and Reggie Miller be in todays nba?
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

elmouse03 wrote:How would the likes if Stockton and Reggie Miller be in todays nba?
I'm really liking these scouting reports...very enjoyable and full of both regular scouting and higher-level analytics.

http://www.backpicks.com/2018/01/18/bac ... ie-miller/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.backpicks.com/2018/01/25/bac ... -stockton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Especially with Stockton, it's help clarify some things for me.
Lamelo_Ball
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Lamelo_Ball »

Michael Jordan = 24-25ppg, 7rpg, 3apg on 48%fg's ( lacks outside shooting, would be a slightly better derozan 2016 )

Kareem = 17-18ppg, 12rpg, 3apg on 60%fg's ( would be a clean up/pick and role guy. nobodies calling plays for hook shots from 8 feet out )

Magic = draymond green without the defense... probly 12-14ppg, 7-8apg, 8-9rpg on 55%fg's....nobodies running his style of fast break offense. he isn't an outside shooter so he'd have to be a role player with passing ability on the post. get easy buckets )

Wilt = 20-22ppg, 14rpg, 5apg on 65%fg's...( a better peak dwight howard )

Bird = 19-20ppg, 7rpg, 5apg on 47%fg's... ( would be utilized as a klay thompson type player and be shooting alot more threes as a teams 2nd or 3rd option )

the problem isn't with the players. its with the rules and how the games played now ... it doesn't showcase their abilities/strengths
Greatest Individual Playoff Performance in NBA history - 22y.o = 29.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 6.1 apg, 15-1 Record, #1 in Win Shares
rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

Lamelo_Ball wrote:Michael Jordan = 24-25ppg, 7rpg, 3apg on 48%fg's ( lacks outside shooting, would be a slightly better derozan 2016 )

Kareem = 17-18ppg, 12rpg, 3apg on 60%fg's ( would be a clean up/pick and role guy. nobodies calling plays for hook shots from 8 feet out )

Magic = draymond green without the defense... probly 12-14ppg, 7-8apg, 8-9rpg on 55%fg's....nobodies running his style of fast break offense. he isn't an outside shooter so he'd have to be a role player with passing ability on the post. get easy buckets )

Bird = 19-20ppg, 7rpg, 5apg on 47%fg's... ( would be utilized as a klay thompson type player and be shooting alot more threes as a teams 2nd or 3rd option )

the problem isn't with the players. its with the rules and how the games played now ... it doesn't showcase their abilities/strengths
Kobe: 45ppg / 12apg / 15rpg

The “most skilled player ever” would put up video game numbers: 50/50 on offense and 50/50 on defense for a 100 rating.

Nothing else makes sense.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

rtiff68 wrote:
Lamelo_Ball wrote:Michael Jordan = 24-25ppg, 7rpg, 3apg on 48%fg's ( lacks outside shooting, would be a slightly better derozan 2016 )

The “most skilled player ever” would put up video game numbers: 50/50 on offense and 50/50 on defense for a 100 rating.

Hold on. Hold on.

Griff give us your honest opinion on how Kobe would do in todays game please.
Lamelo_Ball
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Lamelo_Ball »

rtiff68 wrote:

kobe from 2001, 2002 ( who was extremely effective at the time ) would struggle in todays league aswell

2003 would dominate due to his added range while keeping his athleticism

2004 and 2005 were injured/down seasons so i don't think either would dominate

but his bounce back 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 seasons would all be elite

2011 and 2012 were more injury plagged seasons

but 2013 when he had his knees back and his longest range by far ( sadly it was his last ) would be another dominant player in todays nba

phpBB [video]

kobe was doing this shit before curry even thought of it

i could see kobe focussing even more on the 3 ball and less on the long 2's. which would raise his PPS to levels hes never had before.
Greatest Individual Playoff Performance in NBA history - 22y.o = 29.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 6.1 apg, 15-1 Record, #1 in Win Shares
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Jordan - 30-33 ppg on something over 50% shooting. We've basically lived with MJ-lite in DWade. Jordan is just a better version. The extra FTAs and lower FGAs (A result of more foul calls on his driving in this era) benefits him a lot. His points per shot would be extremely high as a result.

Bird - agree with Bush and others. His game translates beautifully.

I think Hakeem and Kareem take a slight dip just because they get fewer touches in an era that emphasizes the three so much and the post less.

Wilt takes a more meaningful dip for the reasons Bush alluded to.

Magic is hard to gauge for me. That incredible basketball IQ should translate in any era but the lack of range hurts a little. His assists take "some" hit but I'm not sure how much. He's be harder to hide defensively in an era where almost every guard can put it on the deck and drive and the floor is much more spread.
Lamelo_Ball
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Lamelo_Ball »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:Jordan - 30-33 ppg on something over 50% shooting. We've basically lived with MJ-lite in DWade. Jordan is just a better version. The extra FTAs and lower FGAs (A result of more foul calls on his driving in this era) benefits him a lot. His points per shot would be extremely high as a result.

Bird - agree with Bush and others. His game translates beautifully.

I think Hakeem and Kareem take a slight dip just because they get fewer touches in an era that emphasizes the three so much and the post less.

Wilt takes a more meaningful dip for the reasons Bush alluded to.

Magic is hard to gauge for me. That incredible basketball IQ should translate in any era but the lack of range hurts a little. His assists take "some" hit but I'm not sure how much. He's be harder to hide defensively in an era where almost every guard can put it on the deck and drive and the floor is much more spread.

wade hasn't been "that guy" since about 2010 or 2011 ... 2012 was the year we started seeing the transition to the new soft era/analytical shit... weeding out long 2's etc...

wade stopped being elite pretty much right then and there TBH

you're on crack... you actually think jordan puts up his career average ( OR BETTER ) in todays league?

:yaoyao:

if kobe or jordan took 15 long 2's in todays league theyed be benched immediately by whoever was coaching them