Is Curry Having the Best Shooting Season Ever?

Talk about anything here.
Bush4Ever35
Hall of Famer

Re: Is Curry Having the Best Shooting Season Ever?

Post by Bush4Ever35 »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
But those rebounds am I right?
(Abe brags about his passing. I assume you would dominate the boards.)
I was actually a very good rebounder for a PG (obviously, scaled down to the competition).

My junior/senior year teams had PFs/Cs that played outside as much as inside, so rebounding was sometimes by committee.

IIRC, I averaged I think 6 something rebounds a game my senior year.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
I was actually a very good rebounder for a PG (obviously, scaled down to the competition).

My junior/senior year teams had PFs/Cs that played outside as much as inside, so rebounding was sometimes by committee.

I always feel it's never the tallest guy on the team that's the best rebounder. It's always the 5'10 - 6 foot guys that scrap and get all the boards.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
Bush4Ever35 wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

I always feel it's never the tallest guy on the team that's the best rebounder. It's always the 5'10 - 6 foot guys that scrap and get all the boards.

I think I averaged somewhere between 0.8 and 1.3 rebounds per game back in the day.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
Bush4Ever35 wrote:

I think I averaged somewhere between 0.8 and 1.3 rebounds per game back in the day.
Too busy dropping those dimes to waste energy grabbing boards.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

Maybe. Or, too lazy. Or, too unathletic (relatively speaking).

By the way, I'm officially a "big man" now in my Thursday game. I've been assigned the tallest guy in the gym for the past several weeks. He's a good 6'4" with looooong arms and never passes but has a very nice shot.

I can't help think he's a version of you in a few years (he's a bit older... which is the great equalizer in our matchups).
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

By the way, I'm officially a "big man" now in my Thursday game. I've been assigned the tallest guy in the gym for the past several weeks. He's a good 6'4" with looooong arms and never passes but has a very nice shot.

I can't help think he's a version of you in a few years (he's a bit older... which is the great equalizer in our matchups).
I was gonna say I'm pretty sure you're making fun of me with that comparison. I'm in a funk right now with no confidence in my game. I've already said I'm sure Leoss could beat me right now. That's how far I've fallen.
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

This is a great thread.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

I was gonna say I'm pretty sure you're making fun of me with that comparison. I'm in a funk right now with no confidence in my game. I've already said I'm sure Leoss could beat me right now. That's how far I've fallen.

It'll come around... maybe. Probably. I'm assuming you have awesome form.

My shot is mostly gone these days, with only brief flashes here and there. It's funny, because you always hear that jump shots stick with you forever. Apparently not. The less I play... the more the sides pin sneaks in, the less "feel" I have. I'm a shoot well in the flow vs. walk into a gym and start shooting 97% on free throws kind of guy.

By the way, my ONLY move against that guy is the Karl Malone slap as he turns around in the post. He brings it down too low when turning over his right shoulder... Every once in awhile he calls a foul (it's not).
Last edited by AbeVigodaLive on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

Bush4Ever35 wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

Also, I have no problem boxing out the big so the littler guy can swoop in to grab the rebound. That happens a lot and it makes sense. I'm not dribbling the ball up the floor. That's the worst thing that can happen. Might as well let him have it to begin with.

(Also, rec leagues don't track rebounds. ;) )
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

It'll come around... maybe. Probably.

My shot is mostly gone these days, with only brief flashes here and there. It's funny, because you always hear that jump shots stick with you forever. Apparently not. The less I play... the more the sides pin sneaks in, the less "feel" I have. I'm a shoot well in the flow vs. walk into a gym and start shooting 97% on free throws kind of guy.

By the way, my ONLY move against that guy is the Karl Malone slap as he turns around in the post. He brings it down too low when turning over his right shoulder... Every once in awhile he calls a foul (it's not).
I hate being guarded by you... That downward slap is either a foul or I turn it over. There is no other option. It's frustrating.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

I hate being guarded by you... That downward slap is either a foul or I turn it over. There is no other option. It's frustrating.

The best part is that you know it's coming too... so it's in your head that your hand is getting slapped or the ball is gonna be mine... that you might rush your shot as a result.

Meanwhile, I'd be completely defenseless if you simply went over your left shoulder into the lane.

[Note: Besides your proper form... I'm also assuming you'd pick up on this pretty quickly and begin to destroy me.]
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

The best part is that you know it's coming too... so it's in your head that your hand is getting slapped or the ball is gonna be mine... that you might rush your shot as a result.

Meanwhile, I'd be completely defenseless if you simply went over your left shoulder into the lane.

[Note: Besides your proper form... I'm also assuming you'd pick up on this pretty quickly and begin to destroy me.]
I normally step out when this has happened too many times in one game. I do have to admit, I feel bad posting up people that are shorter than me in pick up games. It's clearly an unfair advantage.

Awhile back, this loud mouth guy I played with was asking me how to stop me. He was much shorter than I but wanted to know how to guard a guy like me in the post. I told him, don't let me get the ball in the post. It's that simple. If I get the ball in the post, there is no stopping me when I have that height advantage. You're best bet is to simply prevent me from ever getting it.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

I normally step out when this has happened too many times in one game. I do have to admit, I feel bad posting up people that are shorter than me in pick up games. It's clearly an unfair advantage.

Awhile back, this loud mouth guy I played with was asking me how to stop me. He was much shorter than I but wanted to know how to guard a guy like me in the post. I told him, don't let me get the ball in the post. It's that simple. If I get the ball in the post, there is no stopping me when I have that height advantage. You're best bet is to simply prevent me from ever getting it.

But that's tough, too. Unless you have shitty guards on your team. The big guy and I joke because we both know when he has me pinned and defenseless. It usually begins with me uttering "damn it" or "oh oh" and him chuckling. A good post player with any sort of beef/strength can get to his spot in the post regardless how scrappy the 6'0" 175 lb guard on him is. But people don't get him the ball in those situations (more often than not).

Instead, they end up giving it to him on that left block from the wing (easier pass)... setting up the aforementioned scenario. He's a good-natured sort so he usually takes his teammates ignoring him in stride. Occasionally he allows for a "C'mon!" which I always find amusing.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Yes.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

But that's tough, too. Unless you have shitty guards on your team. The big guy and I joke because we both know when he has me pinned and defenseless. It usually begins with me uttering "damn it" or "oh oh" and him chuckling. A good post player with any sort of beef/strength can get to his spot in the post regardless how scrappy the 6'0" 175 lb guard on him is. But people don't get him the ball in those situations (more often than not).

Instead, they end up giving it to him on that left block from the wing (easier pass)... setting up the aforementioned scenario. He's a good-natured sort so he usually takes his teammates ignoring him in stride. Occasionally he allows for a "C'mon!" which I always find amusing.
I do play with some guards that refuse to get me the ball in those situations. I think they do it because they know I'll score easily and they want to give other players a shot. (Mormon/Utah mentality)
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

AlaskaHawks wrote:Yes.
Man....we're already on topic # 4 in this thread. Look at you throwing it all the way back to the OP!

LOL
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Now the thread has gone downhill...
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:Now the thread has gone downhill...

I tried to keep in entertaining....but the YMCA crowd had to start brining up their intramural stories of legend...
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:Now the thread has gone downhill...

Sorry Grizz. Let's get this Friday Thread of the Day back into high gear with something more your speed...

Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

lol