NBA Coaching.

Talk about anything here.

Will Brad Stevens be one of the game's all-time best coaches?

YES. I want to have his babies more than Rob does.
67%
NO. Fuck off. Luke Walton is better. Lonzo is a demi-god. Celtics suck balls.
33%
MEH. Fuck off. Luke Walton is better. Lonzo is a demi-god. Celtics suck balls.
No votes

Total votes: 3

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

NBA Coaching.

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I was a big proponent of it not really mattering THAT much.

After all, KC Jones and Tyronn Lue won NBA titles. And we see guys like LeBron James or Shaq win regardless of where they play. Players win championships... coaches are figureheads. But my opinion has changed slightly over the years. Obviously, you can't win titles without the best players... but coaches can make a world of difference.

The Spurs are old. They don't have their best player. They let Jonathon Simmons walk and he's playing great now. Meh... They're still 9 - 5 without one of the league's Top 5 players even suiting up yet. They win 50 - 67 games every season. EVERY season... for decades.

Another franchise is fortunate to have a GREAT NBA coach. Brad Stevens is legit. The Celtics overachieved for multiple seasons with Stevens, including getting the #1 seed last season. Then, they overhauled the team... lost its best overall player... and reeled off 13 straight wins. This isn't the first time Stevens has done this. I know college is vastly different, but consider how ridiculous it was for him to take Butler to the last second of the title game... and even more ridiculous... take the team back to the title game the next season without its best player (Hayward).

There are some coaches who just seem different... just better than everybody else and it permeates through the entire franchise. There's a culture/vibe in Boston despite all the changes. And it starts with Stevens.

Stevens is already considered one of the games very best coaches. He's only 41 years old. There are clear signs he's on his way to a HOF career... and possibly one of the best coaching careers in basketball history.
denali4eva
Queen Bee

Re: NBA Coaching.

Post by denali4eva »

In Robby's eyes, YES...
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

Early indications are yes however we won't really know until the Celtics make a deep playoff run and succeed. There have been many great "regular season" coaches but titles have alluded most.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Buckets wrote:Early indications are yes however we won't really know until the Celtics make a deep playoff run and succeed. There have been many great "regular season" coaches but titles have alluded most.

Good point.

Adelman, Sloan, Don Nelson and Karl are examples of guys who seemed close to being elite coaches... but never got there. And a couple of those guys flamed out entirely by the end.
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
rileymartin
Mount Rushmore

Post by rileymartin »

We used to think the same thing about Thibs too...One of those coaches that gets most out of his players, and runs a pretty good system.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

It's not as important as general management because it is as you previously said, more about the players.

Guys like Spoelstra, Lue, and I'll even include Phil Jackson in that primarily just need to be above average babysitters to the personnel management brings them. Dumars in the mid 2000s, Jerry West in the early 80s-mid 90s (or even the recent Warriors surge), or Ainge for the current Celts and the "big 3" from a decade ago. These guys are just as responsible for a team's culture/attitude/success as their head coaches, if not more.

Scouts too, they'll never get the headlines, but their work behind the scenes drafting and casting is monumentally paramount to a team's success.

Popovich is a stand alone because he's more influential and directly involved with player personnel despite Buford's nameplate on the desk. He is the alpha and the omega to virtually all things that happen with San Antonio Spur Basketball.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

Robceltsfan wrote:Image
:mrchow:
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Stevens is most definitely one of the games brightest young coaches.

I'll leave Rob to swallow the children, however.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.