Donald Trump univites Warriors to White House

Talk about anything here.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Re: Donald Trump univites Warriors to White House

Post by FPL »

Madnessssss wrote:Would you say that your president has handled this situation with admirable class and dignity?
I don't vote on social issues one way or the other, so I don't care how he handles this situation or others. Nor do I care how Obama handled/mishandled situations (voted for him in 08, but did not vote for him nor Romney in 12). In general though, the more outrage/virtue signaling there is from one side or the other on identity politics or social issues, the less likely I am to listen to their proposals on other issues.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

FPL wrote:
Madnessssss wrote:Would you say that your president has handled this situation with admirable class and dignity?
I don't vote on social issues one way or the other, so I don't care how he handles this situation or others. Nor do I care how Obama handled/mishandled situations (voted for him in 08, but did not vote for him nor Romney in 12). In general though, the more outrage/virtue signaling there is from one side or the other on identity politics or social issues, the less likely I am to listen to their proposals on other issues.
Where do we end up if the polarization increases ? I would argue we are more polarized than at any time in our history including the sixties, the eighteen sixties and the nineteen sixties. The fissures are as much cultural as they are regional. Americans don't recognize one another.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

elartman1973 wrote:Lol at people who still actually support trump....smh
They knkw they are wrong and just like trump they are too dumb and stubborn to admit they were wrong...
CleveTown, Cubbyunderbite, Rips, LMD and other degenerates

Why are you attacking me?
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:
FPL wrote:
Where do we end up if the polarization increases ?
Another civil war. The United States is a unique project among first-world nations, in that it is not an ethnostate. To some degree, Canada, France, and the UK, while they are not as diverse ethnically as we presently are, are much more so than the bulk of countries in Europe and Asia. When you have a group that was in the majority, that loses its power at the ballot, then there are frightening consequences. It's a sad artifact of human nature.

I think all that can be done, is to try and reduce economic anxiety, by not only improving safety net programs, but also helping people exit poverty. Both parties have different solutions to this problem (historically at least, one supported the private sector as a job creator, and the other public programs to get people working, though the lines have blurred a bit). If people feel financially stable, then their differences from their fellow man become less pressing, and tribalism diminishes.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

ripper76 wrote:
elartman1973 wrote:Lol at people who still actually support trump....smh
They knkw they are wrong and just like trump they are too dumb and stubborn to admit they were wrong...
CleveTown, Cubbyunderbite, Rips, LMD and other degenerates

Why are you attacking me?
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

FPL wrote:
Sudanese Sensation wrote:
FPL wrote: I don't vote on social issues one way or the other, so I don't care how he handles this situation or others. Nor do I care how Obama handled/mishandled situations (voted for him in 08, but did not vote for him nor Romney in 12). In general though, the more outrage/virtue signaling there is from one side or the other on identity politics or social issues, the less likely I am to listen to their proposals on other issues.
Where do we end up if the polarization increases ?
Another civil war. The United States is a unique project among first-world nations, in that it is not an ethnostate. To some degree, Canada, France, and the UK, while they are not as diverse ethnically as we presently are, are much more so than the bulk of countries in Europe and Asia. When you have a group that was in the majority, that loses its power at the ballot, then there are frightening consequences. It's a sad artifact of human nature.

I think all that can be done, is to try and reduce economic anxiety, by not only improving safety net programs, but also helping people exit poverty. Both parties have different solutions to this problem (historically at least, one supported the private sector as a job creator, and the other public programs to get people working, though the lines have blurred a bit). If people feel financially stable, then their differences from their fellow man become less pressing, and tribalism diminishes.

The difference between us and the nations you cited is we do a much better job or did a much better job of assimilating immigrants. It is or used to be easier to become an American than a Brit, a Frenchman, or a Spaniard.

I do agree money is a great social lubricant.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:The difference between us and the nations you cited is we do a much better job or did a much better job of assimilating immigrants. It is or used to be easier to become an American than a Brit, a Frenchman, or a Spaniard.

I do agree money is a great social lubricant.
I agree 100%. I think that's also the reason that we have less of an issue with domestic terrorism than some of the nations in Europe. We vet people well, and generally, citizens assimilate.

This is part of the problem with our current immigration system. I don't want to get into a debate about the economic or national security implications of immigration, but with the current situation with Mexico, there has been created a class of people who are not integrated with society. Whether they cross the border illegally, or overstay visas, this is a debacle, and has created a great deal of resentment. A flat amnesty (as Reagan tried in 86) creates a good deal of resentment, and a shock to the system. Flat deportation isn't the solution either (Eisenhower tried this). Meaningful immigration reform is the only option, but both sides are very dug in, so it likely won't happen in our lifetimes.

The only other reasonable solution is improving labor conditions (minimum wage in particular) in Mexico, which will disincentivize coming here or remaining her illegally. This is one of the aspects American and Canadian trade officials are focussing on in the new NAFTA negotiations. Hopefully they'll be able to come to terms.