Sudanese Sensation
Legend

Re: Donald Trump univites Warriors to White House

Post by Sudanese Sensation »

FPL wrote:
Smelters wrote:
elmerjfudd wrote:
:trumphuh:
The players should just quit the NBA and start their own league. Fuck the owners.

If you take all the "black athletes" out of basketball then goo luck to the owners. The alternative would be terrible and boring with no ratings at all.
(1) Do you believe that all players stand in solidarity? Maybe so, but we'd probably need some evidence of this.

(2) Owners aren't going to garner much sympathy, and they probably shouldn't. But the question is, are the sentiments you're attributing to the owners, held by some portion of fans as well? Perhaps a majority in some leagues (likely not the NBA, because it has a more liberal-leaning viewership)?

(3) In general, people who are speaking out are super duper stars, or people who can't find a place in the league. What happens when a starter/borderline star quality player speaks out? See Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Even if LeBron, Curry, Paul, etc leave, there is an abundance of mid-level players who are there to do their jobs. There are 450 players in the NBA, and even more in the NFL.

I would argue there is more camaraderie and solidarity in the NBA because it is more homogeneous.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:
FPL wrote:
Smelters wrote: The players should just quit the NBA and start their own league. Fuck the owners.

If you take all the "black athletes" out of basketball then goo luck to the owners. The alternative would be terrible and boring with no ratings at all.
(1) Do you believe that all players stand in solidarity? Maybe so, but we'd probably need some evidence of this.

(2) Owners aren't going to garner much sympathy, and they probably shouldn't. But the question is, are the sentiments you're attributing to the owners, held by some portion of fans as well? Perhaps a majority in some leagues (likely not the NBA, because it has a more liberal-leaning viewership)?

(3) In general, people who are speaking out are super duper stars, or people who can't find a place in the league. What happens when a starter/borderline star quality player speaks out? See Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Even if LeBron, Curry, Paul, etc leave, there is an abundance of mid-level players who are there to do their jobs. There are 450 players in the NBA, and even more in the NFL.

I would argue there is more camaraderie and solidarity in the NBA because it is more homogeneous.
Maybe, but the point stands - if a handful of top players were to protest the league, or start their own, does that camaraderie and solidarity extend to non superstar players? I'm not sure either way. It would likely take union intervention, though I'm not sure what the argument would be, since union-ownership negotiations are on the basis of CBAs. If some players wanted to start their own league, I don't know that the union rank-and-file would stand with them.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Post by somberbostonian »

FPL wrote: (1) Do you believe that all players stand in solidarity? Maybe so, but we'd probably need some evidence of this.

Take LeBron, Curry and other stars of that stature out of the league and ratings sink back to post-Jordan early 2000s levels. Unlike the NFL, the NBA is a star-driven league built on individual draws, and the players have a ton more clout than their NFL counterparts do.
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

somberbostonian wrote:
FPL wrote: (1) Do you believe that all players stand in solidarity? Maybe so, but we'd probably need some evidence of this.

Take LeBron, Curry and other stars of that stature out of the league and ratings sink back to post-Jordan early 2000s levels. Unlike the NFL, the NBA is a star-driven league built on individual draws, and the players have a ton more clout over owners than their NFL counterparts do.
I'm sure the ratings would drop a ton. My question though was about whether we believe the rest of the players in the league would leave the security of the NBA to join a separate league (and how this would play with the union, which is a wildcard because it's top-heavy in representation).
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

FPL wrote:

Maybe, but the point stands - if a handful of top players were to protest the league, or start their own, does that camaraderie and solidarity extend to non superstar players? I'm not sure either way. It would likely take union intervention, though I'm not sure what the argument would be, since union-ownership negotiations are on the basis of CBAs. If some players wanted to start their own league, I don't know that the union rank-and-file would stand with them.

I suspect NBA owners are more liberal than NFL owners and NBA coaches are more liberal than NFL coaches so I don't see the fissures that would lead them to want to start their own league. That seems far fetched in any case.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

FPL wrote:

I suspect NBA owners are more liberal than NFL owners and NBA coaches are more liberal than NFL coaches .
That might be true. A lot of NBA owners made their money in new money industries like tech or finance (though liberal isn't monolithic - those working in finance are right-of-center on economics, and those in tech are generally anti-labor; that said, most activism in sports is on the basis of social issues, not income inequality). But if that's the case, isn't there less incentive to splinter off from the league?
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

FPL wrote:
FPL wrote: Maybe, but the point stands - if a handful of top players were to protest the league, or start their own, does that camaraderie and solidarity extend to non superstar players? I'm not sure either way. It would likely take union intervention, though I'm not sure what the argument would be, since union-ownership negotiations are on the basis of CBAs. If some players wanted to start their own league, I don't know that the union rank-and-file would stand with them.

I suspect NBA owners are more liberal than NFL owners and NBA coaches are more liberal than NFL coaches .
That might be true. A lot of NBA owners made their money in new money industries like tech or finance (though liberal isn't monolithic - those working in finance are right-of-center on economics, and those in tech are generally anti-labor; that said, most activism in sports is on the basis of social issues, not income inequality). But if that's the case, isn't there less incentive to splinter off from the league?

I don't see players starting their own league. I don't necessarily attribute it to a lack of business or intellectual acumen but to the difficulty of starting a professional sports league.

I would argue that regardless where most NBA owners land on economic issues most of them land on the left on social issues.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

FPL wrote:
FPL wrote: Maybe, but the point stands - if a handful of top players were to protest the league, or start their own, does that camaraderie and solidarity extend to non superstar players? I'm not sure either way. It would likely take union intervention, though I'm not sure what the argument would be, since union-ownership negotiations are on the basis of CBAs. If some players wanted to start their own league, I don't know that the union rank-and-file would stand with them.

Not sure about the owners' political leanings, but the NBA has one of the youngest and most heavily non-white audiences in all of sports, so they're less likely to feel any negative consequences of player activism. If there's any league that's in a position to double down on political rhetoric going forward, that would be the one. The NFL, by virtue of being the most popular league/sport in this country by far, appeals to the most broad demos, so they're somewhat getting heat from both anti-Kap people against the players' politics and pro-Kap people against the owners' politics at the moment. Player activism in MLB? Forget about it.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3989257 ... t-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... rends.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by somberbostonian on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

Madnessssss wrote:Curry becomes my favorite player again despite his Christianity
blacks vote democrat even though they profess to be Christians. It's nothing new. Just as how they are lesser in society, they are also lesser in the church.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:I don't see players starting their own league. I don't necessarily attribute it to a lack of business or intellectual acumen but to the difficulty of starting a professional sports league.

I would argue that regardless where most NBA owners land on economic issues most of them land on the left on social issues.
From a quick search, a lot of the owners are of the new-money ilk, and are likely socially left (any errors are my own):

ATL - Ressler - Private Equity
BOS - Grousbeck - Venture Capital
BRK - Prokhorov - Mining
CHA - Jordan - Basketball
CHI - Reinsdorf - Real Estate
CLE - Gilbert - Mortgage Lending
DAL - Cuban - Web Streaming
DEN - Kroenke - Retail
DET - Gores - Private Equity
GSW - Lacob - Venture Capital
HOU - Fertitta - Restaurant
IND - Simon - Shopping Malls
LAC - Ballmer - Technology
LAL - Buss - Real Estate
MEM - Pera - Communications
MIA - Arison - Tourism
MIL - Lasry - Hedge Fund
MIN - Taylor - Marketing
NOP - Benson - Automobiles
NYK - Dolan - Media
OKC - Bennett - Media
ORL - DeVos - Marketing
PHI - Harris - Private Equity
PHO - Sarver - Real Estate
POR - Allen - Technology
SAC - Ranadive - Technology
SAS - Holt - Investment Banking
TOR - Tanenbaum - Media
UTA - Miller - Automobiles
WAS - Leonsis - Marketing
somberbostonian wrote:Not sure about the owners' political leanings, but the NBA has one of the youngest and most heavily non-white audiences in all of sports, so they're less likely to feel any negative consequences of player activism. If there's any league that's in a position to double down on political rhetoric going forward, that would be the one. The NFL appeals to the most broad demos, so they're kind of getting heat from both anti-Kap people against the players' politics and pro-Kap people against the owners' politics at the moment. Player activism in MLB? Forget about it.
I agree there probably won't be a ton of backlash in the NBA. Though if there is to any degree, it would probably be most pronounced in teams in the middle of the country (most play in cities, which are more nonwhite, so even they wouldn't feel it a ton). Which is part of why I suspect (especially given how Gilbert is on the other side), it might be hinting towards LeBron changing teams next year (though maybe I'm overestimating how it would play in Ohio).
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Now UNC's title team says no to Donny.
Thedictator
Legend

Post by Thedictator »

LMFAO
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

FPL wrote:
Sudanese Sensation wrote:I don't see players starting their own league. I don't necessarily attribute it to a lack of business or intellectual acumen but to the difficulty of starting a professional sports league.

From a quick search, a lot of the owners are of the new-money ilk, and are likely socially left (any errors are my own):

ATL - Ressler - Private Equity
BOS - Grousbeck - Venture Capital
BRK - Prokhorov - Mining
CHA - Jordan - Basketball
CHI - Reinsdorf - Real Estate
CLE - Gilbert - Mortgage Lending
DAL - Cuban - Web Streaming
DEN - Kroenke - Retail
DET - Gores - Private Equity
GSW - Lacob - Venture Capital
HOU - Fertitta - Restaurant
IND - Simon - Shopping Malls
LAC - Ballmer - Technology
LAL - Buss - Real Estate
MEM - Pera - Communications
MIA - Arison - Tourism
MIL - Lasry - Hedge Fund
MIN - Taylor - Marketing
NOP - Benson - Automobiles
NYK - Dolan - Media
OKC - Bennett - Media
ORL - DeVos - Marketing
PHI - Harris - Private Equity
PHO - Sarver - Real Estate
POR - Allen - Technology
SAC - Ranadive - Technology
SAS - Holt - Investment Banking
TOR - Tanenbaum - Media
UTA - Miller - Automobiles
WAS - Leonsis - Marketing
somberbostonian wrote:Not sure about the owners' political leanings, but the NBA has one of the youngest and most heavily non-white audiences in all of sports, so they're less likely to feel any negative consequences of player activism. If there's any league that's in a position to double down on political rhetoric going forward, that would be the one. The NFL appeals to the most broad demos, so they're kind of getting heat from both anti-Kap people against the players' politics and pro-Kap people against the owners' politics at the moment. Player activism in MLB? Forget about it.
I agree there probably won't be a ton of backlash in the NBA. Though if there is to any degree, it would probably be most pronounced in teams in the middle of the country (most play in cities, which are more nonwhite, so even they wouldn't feel it a ton). Which is part of why I suspect (especially given how Gilbert is on the other side), it might be hinting towards LeBron changing teams next year (though maybe I'm overestimating how it would play in Ohio).

There is positive correlation between income, education, and social liberalism. As education and incomes goes up so does social liberalism.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

FPL wrote:
I still contend that anyone who boycotts a sport over politics, likely wasn't that big a fan to begin with, but I don't think there's much the players can do to turn the rural demo away from the NBA than they already are. Older, whiter, rural demos tend to be college basketball > NBA people anyway (obviously, the NBA demo leans more urban), and nothing NBA players say is going to change that.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:There is positive correlation between income, education, and social liberalism. As education and incomes goes up so does social liberalism.
I have no reason to believe that is untrue. A couple closing points:

(1) The country in general is center-right socially, center-left economically (see graphic of the 2016 electorate from a WSJ study):

It is worth keeping in mind, that in addition to the partisans, there are some 30% of Americans who are socially right of center, fiscally left of center (and only about 4-5 percent in the lower-right quadrant). So this isn't relatable to that group (which typically comprises swing voters).

(2) The interesting part of that correlation, is that it describes well the old economy vs new economy dichotomy. People in Middle America may not have been once socially conservative so-to-speak, but when they see their wages dropping, their futures less secure, while working harder than ever, it might not create racial resentment, but it does cause some degree of rejection of identity politics or the tenets of social justice.

I predict this country will get more and more divided as the differences between socioeconomic ecosystems dependent on new vs old industry becomes more pronounced.
FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

somberbostonian wrote:I still contend that anyone who boycotts a sport over politics, likely wasn't that big a fan to begin with, but I don't think there's much the players can do to turn the rural demo away from the NBA than they already are. Older, whiter, rural demos tend to be college basketball > NBA people anyway (obviously, the NBA demo leans more urban), and nothing NBA players say is going to change that.
I think you're probably right. But my question is, what kind of figure of people are there who watch sports as an escape/release, who are not hardcore fans of a league, and are more casual? Though I guess those fans aren't the target of marketing by the main leagues and their advertising partners, so it isn't a huge loss.

Two of the sports that do attract mostly older/whiter audiences (baseball + hockey) are (by narrative at least, though there is some data to back it up) becoming increasingly regional (as opposed to national) sports.
Sudanese Sensation
Legend

FPL wrote:
Sudanese Sensation wrote:There is positive correlation between income, education, and social liberalism. As education and incomes goes up so does social liberalism.
I have no reason to believe that is untrue. A couple closing points:

(1) The country in general is center-right socially, center-left economically (see graphic of the 2016 electorate from a WSJ study):

It is worth keeping in mind, that in addition to the partisans, there are some 30% of Americans who are socially right of center, fiscally left of center (and only about 4-5 percent in the lower-right quadrant). So this isn't relatable to that group (which typically comprises swing voters).

(2) The interesting part of that correlation, is that it describes well the old economy vs new economy dichotomy. People in Middle America may not have been once socially conservative so-to-speak, but when they see their wages dropping, their futures less secure, while working harder than ever, it might not create racial resentment, but it does cause some degree of rejection of identity politics or the tenets of social justice.

I predict this country will get more and more divided as the differences between socioeconomic ecosystems dependent on new vs old industry becomes more pronounced.

I have been reading all your writing here. Can any leader really stand athwart progress and stop it ? Capital will flow where labor is most efficient. Sometimes it means cheapest, sometimes it means smartest, or a combination of the two.

Automation is a greater threat to jobs than trade. An anecdote. This is the second time it happened. There were no cashiers at Target so I had to use the self service check out. I had a lot of stuff. I was upset because it was more work for me and less work to be had.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Lol at people who still actually support trump....smh
They knkw they are wrong and just like trump they are too dumb and stubborn to admit they were wrong...
CleveTown, Cubbyunderbite, Rips, LMD and other degenerates
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

FPL
Hall of Famer

Post by FPL »

Sudanese Sensation wrote:I have been reading all your writing here. Can any leader really stand athwart progress and stop it ? Capital will flow where labor is most efficient. Sometimes it means cheapest, sometimes it means smartest, or a combination of the two.

Automation is a greater threat to jobs than trade. An anecdote. This is the second time it happened. There were no cashiers at Target so I had to use the self service check out. I had a lot of stuff. I was upset because it was more work for me and less work to be had.
A lot of this depends on what one's opinion of the role of government is. Article 1 Section 8, depending on the interpretation, might suggest that it is government's role to accommodate those who are financially vulnerable:
Clause 1 (General Welfare). The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
There are underlying rules of capitalism, but if the government intervenes in the market, it changes the rules. Regulation can be a job killer in a lot of industries (even with the environment or other noble causes in mind), but in others it can be protective of the assets of lives of others (financial industry in particular, and depending on your world view, the pharmaceutical and insurance industries). That is to say, one can be a believer that capitalism is the law of the land (and that the labor theory of value is bunk), but also oppose the free market.

Automation is a threat of jobs certainly. Which is why when people like Paul Krugman suggest for people working in energy/manufacturing to move to service, it sounds a bit silly - the service industry is the sector of the economy most prone to automation. I don't know that I'd agree that it's a much greater threat than trade (so-called free trade isn't always free - when reciprocal trading partners apply BAT's, VAT's, and tariffs, and we don't do the same because we want to democratize the world, we are not doing ourselves a favor). Automation, trade/outsourcing, immigration, and regulations are all factors that have gotten us to where we are.

With regards to automation itself, I've heard a couple of proposals:

(1) Some sort of a robot tax. Bill Gates has suggested this recently, and it has gotten some traction.

(2) Basic income. It sounds a bit drastic based on the arguments in Europe, but stalwart capitalist Milton Friedman was a big supporter of the Negative Income Tax.

At the end of the day though, I don't think it should be our place, or the place of a handful of people, to determine policy direction. Even if there is a fair degree of skepticism, if the voting public supports candidates who do not have free market ideas in mind, and do not eschew big government, then they should be able to vote for policy that will allow them to work and retire with dignity. There are some issues with the electoral college, but it self-corrects: it protects the minority in the short term (presently those in the Midwest dependent on the old economy), and self-corrects with the census, via reapportionment of number of seats in the house and the number of electoral votes assigned to each state.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

FPL wrote: I think you're probably right. But my question is, what kind of figure of people are there who watch sports as an escape/release, who are not hardcore fans of a league, and are more casual? Though I guess those fans aren't the target of marketing by the main leagues and their advertising partners, so it isn't a huge loss.

Two of the sports that do attract mostly older/whiter audiences (baseball + hockey) are (by narrative at least, though there is some data to back it up) becoming increasingly regional (as opposed to national) sports.
This one's tough to quantify. Casual fans can come from any part of the spectrum and they make up the bulk of the three mainstream US sports' audience. But I think the negative consequences of a league getting too political are overblown anyway. I don't deny there are people angry over athlete activism, but for those to single this out as the main reason for the NFL's ratings woes when there are so many other variables to consider just seems intellectually dishonest.

Looking at the sports fan demo chart I posted above, the median age of the NFL audience is 50, which is around the range where a sport's audience starts to plateau and level off a bit anyway--other sports whose TV audiences have plateaued also fall around this range. The two notable sports hardest hit by ratings declines at the moment are golf (median age 64) and NASCAR (median age 58), which have demos that are about as white and conservative as you can get. Perhaps the NFL's ratings stagnation is just a product of an audience getting older and aging out, and not enough younger viewers are coming up to replace them. When you've been a ratings juggernaut for so long, the only way to go is down.