Game of Thrones leaked episode discussion thread [heavy spoilers with tags]

Talk about anything here.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Re: Game of Thrones leaked episode discussion thread [heavy spoilers with tags]

Post by Buckets »

Johnnyblazzed wrote:
Buckets wrote:Why are people upset about a realistic amount of time to travel in a story which includes white walkers and dragons? Clearly this is a fantasy story so why do we try to hold it to "realistic" standards.
Because it doesn't match the pace of previous seasons. Read Abe's post above about the difference between this season and previous seasons. He's spot on.
Ok I get it. But it also doesn't help that the author spun so many webs that its hard to untangle them all. Also the directors eluded to it on the episode recap, they are given a major event and they essentially have to work backwards from there. The event they had to work around this time was Viserion dying.

However I've said it before, the White Walkers shouldn't be in this story. There is so much going for the books/show and then you add in an indestructible force to that magnitude in numbers? It just doesn't jive or fit the theme of it all. How the hell are you suppose to write about a bunch of "normal" humans trying to take down an army of the undead?
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

What everybody else said. Just because you're in a fantasy genre doesn't mean you have free reign on when and when not to use time. We've been told all series how long and grueling these journeys are but all of a sudden Westeros turned into the size of Delaware last episode.
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

Buckets wrote:
Johnnyblazzed wrote:
Buckets wrote:Why are people upset about a realistic amount of time to travel in a story which includes white walkers and dragons? Clearly this is a fantasy story so why do we try to hold it to "realistic" standards.
Because it doesn't match the pace of previous seasons. Read Abe's post above about the difference between this season and previous seasons. He's spot on.
Ok I get it. But it also doesn't help that the author spun so many webs that its hard to untangle them all. Also the directors eluded to it on the episode recap, they are given a major event and they essentially have to work backwards from there. The event they had to work around this time was Viserion dying.

However I've said it before, the White Walkers shouldn't be in this story. There is so much going for the books/show and then you add in an indestructible force to that magnitude in numbers? It just doesn't jive or fit the theme of it all. How the hell are you suppose to write about a bunch of "normal" humans trying to take down an army of the undead?

You really just don't "get" ASOIAF/GoT. Seriously. And your excuse making for the showrunners is laughable - as if they were boxed in and had no other choice but to move forward with a plot as retarded as "capture a wight" ?
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

I just looked it up and as the raven flies (30mph) it's approximately 21 hours from Winterfell to the Wall. From North of the Wall to Dragonstone would be 3 times that.....one way
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

I love ASOIAF and GoT.
Image Vaccines Image

Cannot redeclare utf8_encode
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

TheSaboteur wrote:I love ASOIAF and GoT.

Do you have any thoughts on the night lamp theory? A lot of people think that the showrunners didn't even have the creative ability to come up with the lake sequence this past week and borrowed from the night lamp theory to write it. If you're not familiar and want to avoid future book spoilers don't look it up, but it is much more badass than this past week.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

Kobeunderbite wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Johnnyblazzed wrote:

You really just don't "get" ASOIAF/GoT. Seriously. And your excuse making for the showrunners is laughable - as if they were boxed in and had no other choice but to move forward with a plot as retarded as "capture a wight" ?
I'm open to hearing KUB's plan here or how you would have written it
Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

I don't know why they were forced to squish what should have been 3 seasons into 2 shortened seasons.

GoT is making ratings their bitch....why end so abruptly?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

Buckets wrote:
Kobeunderbite wrote:
Buckets wrote:

I'm open to hearing KUB's plan here or how you would have written it

It makes far more sense for the army to have made it past the wall first in which case the need for a battle and dragon encounter would have been obvious. It's not like the dragons had to be lured to the wall. It was Cersei they were trying to convince - not Dany - so a regular rescue mission to Winterfell after word reaches that the wights had made it past Eastwatch would have felt far less convoluted. Stuffing every fan favorite into the same rescue party felt even more forced. And even if (potential spoilers follow)
Spoiler:
the wight dragon ends up helping to destroy or melt the wall somehow, it's not like there weren't better options in terms of getting a dragon to the wall. The plan made no sense.
TheSaboteur
Hall of Famer

Post by TheSaboteur »

Kobeunderbite wrote:
TheSaboteur wrote:I love ASOIAF and GoT.

Do you have any thoughts on the night lamp theory? A lot of people think that the showrunners didn't even have the creative ability to come up with the lake sequence this past week and borrowed from the night lamp theory to write it. If you're not familiar and want to avoid future book spoilers don't look it up, but it is much more badass than this past week.
I've never heard of the night lamp theory. I'm also trying to avoid anything about the new book (I haven't read any of the released chapters) until it is finally out.
Image Vaccines Image

Cannot redeclare utf8_encode
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

If you want to know how to deliver a dragon to the Night King in a non-retarded way, wait until Winds of Winter releases. Like I said, not the show's fault that Martin couldn't spoon feed them everything as they expected, but this was too stupid.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Robceltsfan wrote:I don't know why they were forced to squish what should have been 3 seasons into 2 shortened seasons.

GoT is making ratings their bitch....why end so abruptly?

Money (CGI costs for dragons and 'ish). Actors wanting to move on. Martin and his books not readily available as a resource.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Kobeunderbite wrote:If you want to know how to deliver a dragon to the Night King in a non-retarded way, wait until Winds of Winter releases. Like I said, not the show's fault that Martin couldn't spoon feed them everything as they expected, but this was too stupid.
Why can the Night King control a dragon? Is he a Targ?
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Shill Jackson wrote:
Kobeunderbite wrote:If you want to know how to deliver a dragon to the Night King in a non-retarded way, wait until Winds of Winter releases. Like I said, not the show's fault that Martin couldn't spoon feed them everything as they expected, but this was too stupid.
Spoiler:
He's Bran. Maybe.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Shill Jackson wrote:
Spoiler:
He's Bran. Maybe.
Or because the dragon died and the White Walker that brings "life" back to the dead is tied to that "life"... as Jon and crew discovered in this episode.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Robceltsfan wrote:

Because it didn't work logically in any way. Even though it's fantasy, a portion of "fantastical believe-ability" is required.

It would be like Thor appearing and killing the Night King....and someone saying "what's the big deal, it's make-believe anyways!". It needs to make sense within the storyline....and that part didn't.
Thor killing the Night King would be an interesting twist. If I had my drothers, it would be Rick and Michonne miraculously showing up and taking out the White Walkers.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Robceltsfan wrote:It's been a season of amazing MOMENTS....but shoddy storylines.

The meetup next episode should be fantastic banter. Fingers crossed that the writers don't fuck it up.
Rumor is Sam and Bran compare notes in Winterfell. They discover who Jon's aunt is while he's is screwing her on the boat.
kobeunderbite

Post by kobeunderbite »

The Night King is actually very similar in appearance to Malekith, who Thor did in fact defeat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

Johnnyblazzed wrote:
Robceltsfan wrote:

Because it didn't work logically in any way. Even though it's fantasy, a portion of "fantastical believe-ability" is required.

It would be like Thor appearing and killing the Night King....and someone saying "what's the big deal, it's make-believe anyways!". It needs to make sense within the storyline....and that part didn't.
Thor killing the Night King would be an interesting twist. If I had my drothers, it would be Rick and Michonne miraculously showing up and taking out the White Walkers.
I think they would stay with the characters from HBO. As the war is all but won for the whites, all of a sudden the walkers start hearing the whistling of "the farmer in the dell", then we hear a loud voice from who knows where scream "Omar's comin yo". From the middle of nowhere Omar comes, unloads his shotgun and eliminates the whites.... Omar exits the show to start his career as a stickup man who robs drug dealers.