kinda feel sorry for Isiah Thomas. he should be a top 10 player ever ahead of lebron

Talk about anything here.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Re: kinda feel sorry for Isiah Thomas. he should be a top 10 player ever ahead of lebron

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Smelters wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
xer0 wrote:
You are who I was talking about, and you are DEAD wrong about it. you think your opinion matters more than others but it doesn't, you're just a smug dickknob.
I'm definitely smug. Guilty as charged. And you've got a shitty basketball IQ. Isiah gets more than his fair share of credit for the Pistons' success. They had a ridiculously deep frontcourt and a very UNDERRATED Joe Dumars.
I think that you are serious and you don't know what the bruck you are talking about and yet have the nerve to judge other posters.

What do you say about Bird, Magic, Russell, Bron, etc and their help?
Almost no one ever wins without much help. The examples are rare when it's "mostly" a collective though without a clear best player. The 2004 Pistons whose best player was Ben Wallace is an example. The Sonics with a collection of really good players including Dennis Johnson, Jack Sikma etc... are another. I think the Pistons in the Isiah era were more like that than most who worship Isiah care to admit. Their frontcourt was ridiculously deep and included Laimbeer, Rodman, Aguirre, Salley.. the aforementioned extremely underrated Dumars who was a far, far better defender than Thomas, microwave Johnson as a bench scorer etc...

I'm not going to suggest Thomas was a stiff. But he has definitely become overrated.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Re: kinda feel sorry for Isiah Thomas. he should be a top 10 player ever ahead of lebron

Post by Smelters »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Smelters wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
I'm definitely smug. Guilty as charged. And you've got a shitty basketball IQ. Isiah gets more than his fair share of credit for the Pistons' success. They had a ridiculously deep frontcourt and a very UNDERRATED Joe Dumars.
I think that you are serious and you don't know what the bruck you are talking about and yet have the nerve to judge other posters.

Almost no one ever wins without much help. The examples are rare when it's "mostly" a collective though without a clear best player. The 2004 Pistons whose best player was Ben Wallace is an example. The Sonics with a collection of really good players including Dennis Johnson, Jack Sikma etc... are another. I think the Pistons in the Isiah era were more like that than most who worship Isiah care to admit. Their frontcourt was ridiculously deep and included Laimbeer, Rodman, Aguirre, Salley.. the aforementioned extremely underrated Dumars who was a far, far better defender than Thomas, microwave Johnson as a bench scorer etc...

I'm not going to suggest Thomas was a stiff. But he has definitely become overrated.
I do not agree with this post.

You can break down the other players that I suggested the same way. You said nothing really.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Smelters wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Smelters wrote: I think that you are serious and you don't know what the bruck you are talking about and yet have the nerve to judge other posters.

You can break down the other players that I suggested the same way. You said nothing really.
Don't confuse me with someone who would ever give a shit about your opinion. There are many here who's opinions I respect and give me pause if they disagree with me. Not you. Definitely not you.
elmouse03
Mount Rushmore

Post by elmouse03 »

Who is the deepest team in NBA history? I'm looking at the 60-61 Celtics and they look like that they were 10-11 strong.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Smelters wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Don't confuse me with someone who would ever give a shit about your opinion. There are many here who's opinions I respect and give me pause if they disagree with me. Not you. Definitely not you.
Isn't Isiah a top 50 player? The only player on that team to make the top 50? I didn't even like him like that but you are straight trippin'.

He was the leader of that 2 time champion team.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Smelters wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Become overrated?

I think a case can definitely be made for him being overrated 10,15 or 25 years ago... but I can't think of a former star player more disparaged than Thomas in the advanced metrics era. Guys who never saw him play... guys who never saw him sacrifice stats/touches for the good of the team... only look at the numbers.

Isiah Thomas is only behind Russell in the "you had to have seen him live, stats don't do him justice" camp. Overrated by today's fan? I think he's on his way to being underrated.

(Note: Example... ask anybody who didn't see them play who was better... Stockton or Thomas? It's not as simple as the stats at basketball reference.)
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Smelters wrote: I think that you are serious and you don't know what the bruck you are talking about and yet have the nerve to judge other posters.

Become overrated?

I think a case can definitely be made for him being overrated 10,15 or 25 years ago... but I can't think of a former star player more disparaged than Thomas in the advanced metrics era. Guys who never saw him play... guys who never saw him sacrifice stats/touches for the good of the team... only look at the numbers.

Isiah Thomas is only behind Russell in the "you had to have seen him live, stats don't do him justice" camp. Overrated by today's fan? I think he's on his way to being underrated.

(Note: Example... ask anybody who didn't see them play who was better... Stockton or Thomas? It's not as simple as the stats at basketball reference.)
Uh.... I did watch him play, and I wasn't in diapers and understood what I was watching. Find another angle.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Become overrated?

Uh.... I did watch him play, and I wasn't in diapers and understood what I was watching. Find another angle.
Those are harsh words for Abe now. Neva have I read a post like that from you directed at Abe.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Become overrated?

Last edited by AbeVigodaLive on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Become overrated?

Isiah put up 20 and 10 consistently for 4-5 years until his numbers dropped a little when more talent came and with Chuck Daly changing the culture in Detroit.
elmerjfudd
The Lurker

Post by elmerjfudd »

Seems like if you're comparing him with Stockton and Nash then he's rated just right

Its when you compare him higher with Duncan, LeBron, Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russell, etc you begin to overrate him.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Da Stars. wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Become overrated?

Those are harsh words for Abe now. Neva have I read a post like that from you directed at Abe.
I've been posting on message boards about hoops since 1999 on ESPN. I have had the very same take about Thomas forever. It's NEVER changed. I resent the implication it's from recently available statistics.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Become overrated?

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
I've been posting on message boards about hoops since 1999 on ESPN. I have had the very same take about Thomas forever. It's NEVER changed. I resent the implication it's from recently available statistics.

I didn't say your take was all about statistics. Obviously, you did see him play. I think it is only about stats with many others though.

Everything isn't only about you.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Da Stars. wrote: Those are harsh words for Abe now. Neva have I read a post like that from you directed at Abe.

I didn't say your take was all about statistics. Obviously, you did see him play. I think it is only about stats with many others though.

I could say the same about you Abe. You condemned an entire thread I posted in recently because you took umbrage to my interpretation of your take. You know what I'm talking about. Everyone, including you, was textbook on the take I predicted but you focused exclusively on yourself and got a pickle up your ass about it. I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your take, but you were entirely focused on your own take to the exclusion of everything else in what must have been a ten page thread where you were a peripheral player.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Da Stars. wrote: Those are harsh words for Abe now. Neva have I read a post like that from you directed at Abe.

Grizz owned by Abe. Grizz is so full of himself that he can't think properly
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

I could say the same about you Abe. You condemned an entire thread I posted in recently because you took umbrage to my interpretation of your take. You know what I'm talking about. Everyone, including you, was textbook on the take I predicted but you focused exclusively on yourself and got a pickle up your ass about it. I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your take, but you were entirely focused on your own take to the exclusion of everything else in what must have been a ten page thread where you were a peripheral player.

Stop. You have never been more wrong than your assumption in that thread. And you're still barking about it? Get over it. Accept that you were wrong... miserably and completely wrong.

I know you're a successful dude. And you're smart. And you're generally an all-around pretty damn solid bloke. But you aren't infallible.

Even though you're acting like it right now... and even more in that other thread.

[Note: True spit. Go reread that thread if you're still hung up on it. I think you'll come away with a different take now that you're more removed from it.]
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Become overrated?

That's a nice spin Abe.... except the criticism of his advanced metrics have very little if any to do with him sacrificing personal stats for the good of the team. Isaiah Thomas became a very inefficient scorer even for his own era. Top that with his putrid defense and higher turnover rate. I didn't respect Zeke back then because I thought he was a bush-league player but that's not going to stop me from giving him credit. He was a great talent that had some great years and was the driving force behind those great piston teams. He is not in the category with Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and Larry Bird.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

y2ktors wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:

Become overrated?

That's a nice spin Abe.... except the criticism of his advanced metrics have very little if any to do with him sacrificing personal stats for the good of the team. Isaiah Thomas became a very inefficient scorer even for his own era. Top that with his putrid defense and higher turnover rate. I didn't respect Zeke back then because I thought he was a bush-league player but that's not going to stop me from giving him credit. He was a great talent that had some great years and was the driving force behind those great piston teams. He is not in the category with Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and Larry Bird.
Wait. Who ever said he was... besides the OP.

And nobody takes the OP seriously. I even refuted his take. I thought we moved on to a more honest Thomas take. I firmly believe he should still be in the discussion with the likes of Frazier and Stockton and that lot.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

Abe and Grizz. Time for a kumbaya.