Is grad school worth the investment?

Talk about anything here.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Is grad school worth the investment?

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

If you have a Master's degree or higher, tell me some stories. Did you specifically need a higher degree in your field? Enroll because you weren't able to advance enough career-wise?
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Re: Is grad school worth the investment?

Post by Bush4Ever »

bitches love motherfuckers with PhDs.

i only got it to trick bitches into thinking I was a medical doctor

lol
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
xJokerz

Post by xJokerz »

the more schooling the better..this is a well known fact.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Well I'm about to find out starting this summer.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
fsuheater
Superstar

Post by fsuheater »

I'll give you the lawyer answer without going into any explanation whatsoever: it depends.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

after I got my BA...I'm mostly self taught...internet is your best teacher.
Smelters
Hall of Famer

Post by Smelters »

If it's going to advance you in "your" certain field then yes.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I went to graduate school.

Well, for one class. Then, the company I was working for stopped paying for it. Meh. I didn't need it anyway.

But if I ever need surgery, I sorta hope my surgeon hit the grad school circuit.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

I'm debating this as well. My company will pay for my schooling. I can get a MBA for free yet I'm dragging my feet with it. I know I won't be taken seriously in my field without one. I'll probably enroll next year.
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

For my field you have to go to Grad school to be licensed so it is a must. It's not true in every situation. In fact just yesterday a young man who has the opportunity to to do an internship over the summer with Impact Basketball. He asked me should he go to summer school and finish his degree or do the internship.

In his case the internship is a no brainer. He'll be working with NBA and future NBA talent, be able to network with top professionals in the filled and gain once in a lifetime experience.

Wish I had a change like that as a young man. Also, you should not really have to pay for grad school in my opinion. I could tell you more about how to get it paid for if you were interested.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:I'm debating this as well. My company will pay for my schooling. I can get a MBA for free yet I'm dragging my feet with it. I know I won't be taken seriously in my field without one. I'll probably enroll next year.

Karl... I turned down doing something similar to what you do to do what I'm doing now.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

fsuheater wrote:I'll give you the lawyer answer without going into any explanation whatsoever: it depends.
Speak on it.

Robceltsfan
Pick 'Em League Champion

Post by Robceltsfan »

Only if there is one of two purposes:

A) monetary benefit
B) personal benefit

Obviously, if it's going to make you more money, the only question is if the ROI is worthy of the time/money spent on said schooling.

For some, school is simply a personal achievement that a person pursues for their own happiness........money be damned.

I know for my circumstance, I work for a small company for which I'm climbing the ladder. I could find myself running this place in 10-15 years while only having a bachelor's degree. Therefore, I find little to no reason for me to pursue furthering my education.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are dumber than that.

~George Carlin~
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Wishbone wrote:For my field you have to go to Grad school to be licensed so it is a must. It's not true in every situation. In fact just yesterday a young man who has the opportunity to to do an internship over the summer with Impact Basketball. He asked me should he go to summer school and finish his degree or do the internship.

In his case the internship is a no brainer. He'll be working with NBA and future NBA talent, be able to network with top professionals in the filled and gain once in a lifetime experience.

Wish I had a change like that as a young man. Also, you should not really have to pay for grad school in my opinion. I could tell you more about how to get it paid for if you were interested.
How can I get it paid for?

Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:I'm debating this as well. My company will pay for my schooling. I can get a MBA for free yet I'm dragging my feet with it. I know I won't be taken seriously in my field without one. I'll probably enroll next year.

Karl... I turned down doing something similar to what you do to do what I'm doing now.
You were a corporate HR guy? I can't see it.
AtiliusRegulus
Mount Rushmore

Post by AtiliusRegulus »

depends on the field. a Masters in Engineering, Accounting and Computer Science (or anything closely affiliated) definitely pays dividends in this market. I have a buddy about to graduate with a Phd in civil engineering, and he already got offers from other colleges and oil firms.
the rest is garbage.

In NYC a license electrician makes $49 per hour, while a plumber pulls down the same thing.
Check the method from Bedrock, 'cause I rock your head to bed
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

You were a corporate HR guy? I can't see it.

Offered the job as a hospital HR guy. I shared a story about the hospital parking ramp gig in college. That led to a job working with nurses... which led to the offer in HR. I traveled Europe instead and decided to switch careers by the time I returned. Although what I do now is more closely aligned with my education background.
fsuheater
Superstar

Post by fsuheater »

y2ktors wrote:
fsuheater wrote:I'll give you the lawyer answer without going into any explanation whatsoever: it depends.
Speak on it.

It depends on that person's ultimate goals. If one is pursuing a specialized field where an advanced degree is necessary, then obviously it's got to be done.

I wouldn't recommend an MBA to someone unless their employee is paying for it.
I almost considered an LLM (advanced law degree) in Real Estate, which would've cost me lost earnings while in school (part-time) for 2 years and about $80,000. I decided it wasn't worth it.

I think hands on experience means more in the real world. Again, unless it's a technical field where advanced degrees/licensing is a pre-requisite.
Buckets
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Buckets »

If its free (via employer), you have the time, and see yourself at a VP or Director level I would highly recommend doing it.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

Like Heater said, it depends. But make sure you treat it as a business decision.

Someone said more schooling is always good. It's good in and of itself, but it when balanced against some of the very real negatives it might not make sense.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.