Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Talk about anything here.
somberbostonian
All-Time Great

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Post by somberbostonian »

Damn, first thing that came to my mind was Drazen Petrovic. His girlfriend being pregnant makes this more tragic. Promising career cut short, but also the type of personality/charisma baseball really needs. RIP
PoLIEtics is for gay fags.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

"Didn't know him."
"Deaths happen. Who cares."
"God's will."
"Came here illegally so Trump blah blah blah..."

~the usual suspects here, all of whom would immediately go MIA from this board the moment a close loved one suddenly died.

Time for new shtick.
:yawning:
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

2 years away from signing a 200+ million contract. Nothing is guaranteed. RIP to the lives lost.
Kevin
All-Star

Post by Kevin »

Titan18 wrote:2 years away from signing a 200+ million contract. Nothing is guaranteed. RIP to the lives lost.
I wonder what measures are taken for the families of athletes who die during their playing careers. Will his family be taken care of? This almost never comes up in sports. He was so young, so it's not like had made many millions yet.

Anyway, just a terribly sad day for sports, to lose such a likeable and talented person. :(
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

Kevin wrote:
Titan18 wrote:2 years away from signing a 200+ million contract. Nothing is guaranteed. RIP to the lives lost.
I wonder what measures are taken for the families of athletes who die during their playing careers. Will his family be taken care of? This almost never comes up in sports. He was so young, so it's not like had made many millions yet.

Anyway, just a terribly sad day for sports, to lose such a likeable and talented person. :(
That's a good question. I'm sure they get the rest of this years salary and probably a portion of merchandise sales that will surely go up over the next few months plus any life insurance policies. Other than that who knows. This man had everything coming to him and now it's all gone. It's more tragic due to the fact he was such a damn good person
kobeunderbite
Proud supporter of President Trump.

Post by kobeunderbite »

He probably had some kind of significant life insurance policy.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

Tragic.

Prayers to his loved ones.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Yuh
Superstar

Post by Yuh »

Jose Fernandez meant so much to me as a Marlins fan and as the son of Cuban immigrants who defected here to the United States from Cuba. He was an amazing baseball player and a truly great person. His love and joy for the game of baseball and for life in general was inspiring to many of us. He was as talented a baseball player as the world has ever seen and now we can only imagine how great his career would've been. What a loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all of his loved ones. We will miss you dearly, Jose.
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Post by CleveTown™ »

people only care when popular people die. there were two others dont forget.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
Yuh
Superstar

Post by Yuh »

CleveTown™ wrote:people only care when popular people die. there were two others dont forget.
It was a tragic accident for all involved.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Sad story.
He was a great mexican pitcher
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
Yuh
Superstar

Post by Yuh »

Shill Jackson wrote:Sad story.
He was a great mexican pitcher
It's unfortunate that people like you only think about trolling in times like these.
Repeat3peat
Repeat Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Repeat3peat »

CleveTown™ wrote:people only care when popular people die. there were two others dont forget.
Thoughts to them and theirs as well, no question. Wasn't Jose's boat apparently, almost afraid to hear any "details". Hit a mound of rocks at full speed....Someone was likely driving extremely recklessly at a horrible/low visible time of night.... and possibly in a place they weren't familiar enough with.... Or their were intoxicants involved...or both. Just incredibly tragic and likely avoidable either way.
Repeat3peat

Post by Repeat3peat »

Yuh wrote:Jose Fernandez meant so much to me as a Marlins fan and as the son of Cuban immigrants who defected here to the United States from Cuba. He was an amazing baseball player and a truly great person. His love and joy for the game of baseball and for life in general was inspiring to many of us. He was as talented a baseball player as the world has ever seen and now we can only imagine how great his career would've been. What a loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all of his loved ones. We will miss you dearly, Jose.

GREAT, fun loving...BIG KID. That always gave(himself and monetarily), was great to fans and all people for that matter...Millar and Rose had him on "Intentional Talk" many (4) times ( I can guarantee Millar is absolutely devastated), because he was one of the few superstars who's personality and zest for life out shined his skillz on the field...still just plain sick to my stomach over this. Dude got over here finally at 15(I believe) after failing 3 times...got himself into HS, learned the language, had his moms at every game etc....just uggh.
Last edited by Repeat3peat on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaskill15
You go, we go... forever

Post by gaskill15 »

Repeat3peat wrote:
Thoughts to them and theirs as well, no question. Wasn't Jose's boat apparently, almost afraid to hear any "details". Hit a mound of rocks at full speed....Someone was likely driving extremely recklessly at a horrible/low visible time of night.... and possibly in a place they weren't familiar enough with.... Or their were intoxicants involved...or both. Just incredibly tragic and likely avoidable either way.
I heard on the radio that initially it didn't look like any alcohol or drugs were involved. Obviously that could change once they dig deeper.

I watched the press conference given by the Marlins with the pres, Mattingly, and all the players. That shit was heartbreaking.
Repeat3peat

Post by Repeat3peat »

gaskill15 wrote:
Repeat3peat wrote:
I heard on the radio that initially it didn't look like any alcohol or drugs were involved. Obviously that could change once they dig deeper.

I watched the press conference given by the Marlins with the pres, Mattingly, and all the players. That shit was heartbreaking.
I saw that as well, Tox reports aren't in though...NOT saying regardless of those results that it was a cause.....just speaking on the assumption that the owner/likely driver was full throttle in the middle of the night....again assuming, since if it happened in broad day light, it would have been likely witnessed, they gave me the "impression" that it likely happened the night before, and was discovered the next morning. It's why i question WTF the driver was doing going 65-70 mph in the dark(if that is indeed the case) in a place that was seemingly unfamiliar to him(since if it was familiar to him, he should have known of the rocks/obstacles..... thus what raises the "intoxicant" red flag possibility involving the recklessness and decision making at the time.... Of course we may find out things totally different about the "timeline" as well.

Looking for answers in a horrible situation where said answers wont change a damn thing anyway I guess.

:cry:
Deez
G.O.A.T.

Post by Deez »

Very sad news, way too young.
Havlicekstealsit
G.O.A.T.

Post by Havlicekstealsit »

Wife (or girlfriend?) is pregnant too. Poor kid.
Repeat3peat

Post by Repeat3peat »

Note: Apparently the boat WAS indeed registered in Jose's name and not "new" to the area anyway.

"According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which is leading the investigation into the crash, the overturned boat was found about 3:30 am on Sunday morning during a routine patrol by the Coast Guard. The commission said the boat was traveling southbound when it struck the jetty, causing "extensive damage" on the boat and killing all three aboard.

Investigators have not concluded who was driving or the exact time of the accident. But they found that Fernandez was the registered owner of the SeaVee fishing boat.

Fernandez, 24, had posted many pictures online of himself fishing with friends on a boat named "Caught Looking," with the "C" replaced with a backward "K" - the shorthand symbol for recording a looking strikeout in a baseball scorecard."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... /91116402/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speeding at 60-70 MPH late into the evening on a Saturday night....man, likely just so avoidable. If I had his kind of money, that is a risk I simply would NEVER take...likely would never drive ANYTHING myself period, let alone that recklessly(or aloow anyone I hired to do so).

Intentional Talk on now....Millar and Rose struggling as I figured they would.

Just AWFUL.
Repeat3peat

Post by Repeat3peat »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, forgive...I LOVED everything about this kid, exemplified what is right about sports and the positive impact it can have on ones life...and allow you to have on that of others if you are that type of person, which he was...in SPADES.