Steve Nash on retirement

Talk about anything here.
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Steve Nash on retirement

Post by Y2K »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/nba-ste ... etirement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The reality is, I’m not going to retire because I want the money.”

Thoughts?

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
CleveTown™
Three-Time Fantasy Champion King

Re: Steve Nash on retirement

Post by CleveTown™ »

smart, honest man.
October 16th, 2020. Thank you Pastor John (P)
January 7th. (D)
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I can't fault him. It's not like he wanted the injuries and hasn't tried hard to get healthy. He signed a deal and while he hasn't played up to it obviously, he's still entitled to his money.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Me personally, I could never do it. I'm the ultimate competitor. If I physically, emotionally and mentally cannot give a good effort, especially at age 40, I'm done. If I can't do it at 30, I'm done. I about winning first and because of that I have a very very very high competitive drive. But do compensate me financially as I deserve to be.

I can't sit on the bench for 70%+ of a season and get paid knowing that I'm 40 and have a degenerative back condition that will not allow me to play at a good competitive level.

AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

y2ktors wrote:Me personally, I could never do it. I'm the ultimate competitor. If I physically, emotionally and mentally cannot give a good effort, especially at age 40, I'm done. If I can't do it at 30, I'm done. I about winning first and because of that I have a very very very high competitive drive. But do compensate me financially as I deserve to be.

I can't sit on the bench for 70%+ of a season and get paid knowing that I'm 40 and have a degenerative back condition that will not allow me to play at a good competitive level.

So you know you're not capable of performing at a level as high as somebody else at your current job... do you return part of your salary?
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
y2ktors wrote:Me personally, I could never do it. I'm the ultimate competitor. If I physically, emotionally and mentally cannot give a good effort, especially at age 40, I'm done. If I can't do it at 30, I'm done. I about winning first and because of that I have a very very very high competitive drive. But do compensate me financially as I deserve to be.

So you know you're not capable of performing at a level as high as somebody else at your current job... do you return part of your salary?
Being a professional sports player Is a career, not a job. They aren't comparable.

vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

No matter how much money you have, turning down 9 million bones would be hard to do.
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

You'd have to be an idiot to turn down 9 million dollars.
Come at the King, you best not miss.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:No matter how much money you have, turning down 9 million bones would be hard to do.
Oh no doubt it's not easy. But if I've made as much money and had a great career as Nash has and I'm basically done as a player, I'm walking away. I'll peek back but I just couldn't sit on the bench on a team knowing that I cannot contribute just to get paid at age 40.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

l3bron wrote:You'd have to be an idiot to turn down 9 million dollars.
Money isn't always the end-all...especially in Nash's case.

l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

y2ktors wrote:
You can sit behind a keyboard and say that but you don't know how it feels like until you physically have 9 million dollars ready to turn down in front of you.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

y2ktors wrote:
Never know when you might need another 9 million.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
You can sit behind a keyboard and say that but you don't know how it feels like until you physically have 9 million dollars ready to turn down in front of you.

I can say that I'd honestly turn it Down even with it in front of me and not regret it one bit.

Money doesn't own my pride nor my soul.

Y2K

Post by Y2K »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
Never know when you might need another 9 million.
It's nice to have, but I'd still walk away, especially if I've made 100 million in my career. But I'm a simple person as well. I don't want a bunch of cars, houses and other materialistic stuff.

ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

The Steve Nash to the Lakers experiment is not looking too good.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

shouldn't a mod have merged this thread,
into this one:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5278
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
l3bron
Reigning WIS Champion

Post by l3bron »

y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:

I can say that I'd honestly turn it Down even with it in front of me and not regret it one bit.

Again, you can't type up sport cliches behind your keyboard but you'll never know what Nash is feeling until you experience that amount of money first-hand.

I lol'd at "soul."
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote: You can sit behind a keyboard and say that but you don't know how it feels like until you physically have 9 million dollars ready to turn down in front of you.

Again, you can't type up sport cliches behind your keyboard but you'll never know what Nash is feeling until you experience that amount of money first-hand.

I lol'd at "soul."
I believe that there are many things in life that we think we could predict our reaction to, but that unless we are really put in the situation, we just don't know. Tons of different examples of that and this is just one of them.

Edit: not saying that's the case here with you y2ktors, it's more of a general comment.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

Will go out and buy a Steve Nash jersey.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

l3bron wrote:
y2ktors wrote:
l3bron wrote: You can sit behind a keyboard and say that but you don't know how it feels like until you physically have 9 million dollars ready to turn down in front of you.

I lol'd at "soul."
I did say "Me personally" didn't I? I never even gave an opinion on what I thought about Nash is feeling. I don't know his personal situation.

If I've made 100 million in my career, what's 9 more going to drastically change? For me, nothing.

That's why I'd take less to be comfortable than a max deal somewhere less comfortable. I could take 20-30 million less on 4-5 year deal to play in San Antonio than to play in Utah. Money doesn't entrap me to the point where I can't turn it down.

I respect the game too much to hang around for a payday knowing that I'm old, injured and cannot play anymore.

I'm going to retire and be thankful for the experiences along the way.

And yes, soul. I do have one.