Grizz, LMD, Hawks, Dunkan, Granger, Wishbone, XXX, and others...

Talk about anything here.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Re: Grizz, LMD, Hawks, Dunkan, Granger, Wishbone, XXX, and others...

Post by Da Stars. »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:Where to start? It doesn't really lend itself to a short answer on a forum, but here goes.

First, I believe in weights more than cardio, especially steady state cardio on a machine. The benefits of weights are far reaching, including boosting natural HGH levels and testosterone, increasing bone density, building muscle obviously, raising your resting metabolic rate and many more.

I would try to lift 3-4 times a week (I personally do more often than that, but I actually enjoy it so it's sustainable for me). Most who try to go too hard too fast end up giving up before long so its counterproductive.

Ultimately, I believe in lifting heavy. Lift weights in a range where you fail at or near 7
What would be the best lifting exercise for me with my bad back and hip? Really limits what weights I can lift.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

Da Stars. wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:Where to start? It doesn't really lend itself to a short answer on a forum, but here goes.

First, I believe in weights more than cardio, especially steady state cardio on a machine. The benefits of weights are far reaching, including boosting natural HGH levels and testosterone, increasing bone density, building muscle obviously, raising your resting metabolic rate and many more.

I would try to lift 3-4 times a week (I personally do more often than that, but I actually enjoy it so it's sustainable for me). Most who try to go too hard too fast end up giving up before long so its counterproductive.

Ultimately, I believe in lifting heavy. Lift weights in a range where you fail at or near 7
What would be the best lifting exercise for me with my bad back and hip? Really limits what weights I can lift.
You probably need to be braced for most lifts. For upper body, bench press, military press (probably with a machine to limit the pressure on your back) and a machine row and lat pulldown.

Your lower body is even trickier. I'd forget squats and deadlifts for you, and try a leg press, building up very gradually in weight. I'm not a big believer in leg extensions or leg curls, but they are vety safe and worth considering since squats and deadlifts are out.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:

You probably need to be braced for most lifts. For upper body, bench press, military press (probably with a machine to limit the pressure on your back) and a machine row and lat pulldown.

Your lower body is even trickier. I'd forget squats and deadlifts for you, and try a leg press, building up very gradually in weight. I'm not a big believer in leg extensions or leg curls, but they are vety safe and worth considering since squats and deadlifts are out.
Leg extensions, especially with heavier weight, are terrible for knees.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:

I've heard both sides of that one and even had them as a "prescribed" exercise by my surgeon and his physio after I had my hip replacement.

I do them every once in a while, as a changeup, but like I said, I'm not a big believer. They are basically completely non functional, as are leg curls, so I really don't get yhe point outside of the fact they make your quads look pretty which is not exactly all that relevant to me.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Ultimately, I believe in lifting heavy. Lift weights in a range where you fail at or near 7 or 8 reps. Guys on roids in magazines will tell you to go 10-12 reps, but if you aren't on the juice, it's not great advice in my opinion.

However, lifting too heavy early before your tendons and ligaments can take it really increases the risk of injury. Spend about the first 6-8 weeks on lighter weights that you can comfortably handle for at least ten reps before going heavy.

All things being equal - Free weights over machines.

Build your program around big compound exercises. Those include bench press, military press, squats, deadlifts, dips, chins and barbell rows. If you only ever did those exercises, you'd be fine. Do at least two of those every weight session. The isolation stuff like curls, side raises, shrugs etc.. Is fine, but the real bang for your buck comes from the compound lifts.

For supplements, I only take protein powder and creatine. Occasionally, I take citrulline and BCAAs but you don't need to worry about that for your goals.

Eat real food. Meat, fruits, berries, nuts, veggies, tubers, eggs... Avoid anything in a box or can, added sugars and refined grains.
Awesome. Thanks a lot grizz.

Would the kettlebells workout make sense spliced into your suggestions or is that too much?
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

AlaskaHawks wrote:

I'd agree about heavy weights.

I personally always do more of a

1st set 10-12 reps
2nd set 8-10
3rd set 6-8
4th set 4-6/failure.

Increasing the weight each and every set.
You bring up a good point I forgot to mention. Warm ups before every major exercise.

I'm much older so it's more important for me to reduce the risk of injury but I never neglect warm up.

With bench press for example, I'll do a quick super easy set with a half plate (25 lb plate) a side. Then, a set with a plate with essentially no rest. Then a very brief rest and a final 'warmup' set with a plate and a half. Then its a good rest before 3 work sets that are done at the low rep range to failure. Similar model for all major compound exercises. Injuries suck and warming up properly radically reduces risk.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

PhutureDynasty wrote:

Ultimately, I believe in lifting heavy. Lift weights in a range where you fail at or near 7 or 8 reps. Guys on roids in magazines will tell you to go 10-12 reps, but if you aren't on the juice, it's not great advice in my opinion.

However, lifting too heavy early before your tendons and ligaments can take it really increases the risk of injury. Spend about the first 6-8 weeks on lighter weights that you can comfortably handle for at least ten reps before going heavy.

Build your program around big compound exercises. Those include bench press, military press, squats, deadlifts, dips, chins and barbell rows. If you only ever did those exercises, you'd be fine. Do at least two of those every weight session. The isolation stuff like curls, side raises, shrugs etc.. Is fine, but the real bang for your buck comes from the compound lifts.

For supplements, I only take protein powder and creatine. Occasionally, I take citrulline and BCAAs but you don't need to worry about that for your goals.

Eat real food. Meat, fruits, berries, nuts, veggies, tubers, eggs... Avoid anything in a box or can, added sugars and refined grains.

Would the kettlebells workout make sense spliced into your suggestions or is that too much?
I meant to mention that. You said you would go the gym Monday to Friday potentially. You have the kettlebells at home. One day on the weekend maybe spend 10-15 minutes on a kettlebell routine. Great core stuff and easy to find good routines on line.

And on that note, look at YouTube videos for all the big compound exercises you do. But especially for squats and deadlifts. They are great exercises but require good form or are big injury risks. I shudder watching some people doing squats in the gym and lurching forward.
wailuaFC
All-Time Great

Post by wailuaFC »

AlaskaHawks wrote:

1st set 10-12 reps
2nd set 8-10
3rd set 6-8
4th set 4-6/failure.

I've always liked pyramid lifting but I was taught to go back up the pyramid

1st 10 reps
2nd 8
3rd 6
4th 4
5th 6
6th 8
7 10

Increase weight going up each set and decrease going down, the last set is a killer with short rest periods but it feels good to finish with success
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:

I meant to mention that. You said you would go the gym Monday to Friday potentially. You have the kettlebells at home. One day on the weekend maybe spend 10-15 minutes on a kettlebell routine. Great core stuff and easy to find good routines on line.

And on that note, look at YouTube videos for all the big compound exercises you do. But especially for squats and deadlifts. They are great exercises but require good form or are big injury risks. I shudder watching some people doing squats in the gym and lurching forward.
Will do for everything. I will probably start with just the bar and some light weights to practice good form on most all high-risk workouts before stepping up.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

AlaskaHawks wrote:
vcsgrizzfan wrote:
Da Stars. wrote:

Leg extensions is one of those things that you are either genetically built for or you are not (muscle connection points, bone density, ligament placement and strength).

I've seen swole guys who can't push more than 100lbs on the leg extension without serious pain but I can rep 300+ for days with no pain.

A lot of guys can't do them without pain though.

As for @phuturedynasty it looks like your question has been pretty well covered.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
LoneGranger

Post by LoneGranger »

You don't have to spend money on a gym at all. You could start by just going for daily walks, and doing crunches and situps. In fact, most people quit the gym (myself included a long time ago) so something very easy may be a better way to start off.

If you decide to hit the gym, my advice for a beginner would be to do a couple (maybe 3) muscle groups each time you go in (again so you get used to it and don't start to want to quit) as well as some crunches each day - 3 sets crunches until you can't go any more). You should make it simple enough, hitting the gym 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, for example. When you get there, hit up any cardio machine, go easy, and do it for around 10 minutes. Warm yourself up. Then, me personally, i'll do a full body stretch. After that, go lift your weights. Start light, and do around 3 sets for each muscle group, moving more weight on after each set. Depending on how fit you are, maybe try and make it so you don't go nuts. Meaning, at your heaviest set, make your last rep something you can do fully. After you are done your weights, go do your crunches, then hit a cardio machine again for 5 minutes. You may also want to stretch in between sets a little, or after you work a specific muscle group. I do both.

As you progress and learn (the internet or people you talk to) you will pick up more intermediate or advanced tips and you will find yourself doing things different than what I told you to do. That's for just starting out.

Very important though, do not push yourself too hard in the beginning. You DO NOT want to injure yourself. And whatever exercises you decide to do (look up an easy beginners workout on the internet that you like) MAKE SURE you do them CORRECTLY! If you don't, then you might very well injure yourself, and you don't want that.

Eating wise, make it stuff that's healthy and things that you can eat regularly without puking. Hit up skinless chicken a lot, fish, eggs (egg whites), and yes, vegetables. Make it broccoli, if you can. And do your best to have one or two at the most, cheat days, when you start. Again, I'm trying to make it simple enough for you. For snacks, have a handful of almonds, a spoonful of peanut butter, a protein shake. Things like that. And try to drink water at every meal. Except your cheat day, unless you still want to.

I hope that's enough info to get you started.
Da Stars.
Tight wad. Penny pincher. Mr. Dollar Theater.

Post by Da Stars. »

Lone Granger wrote:You don't have to spend money on a gym at all. You could start by just going for daily walks, and doing crunches and situps. In fact, most people quit the gym (myself included a long time ago) so something very easy may be a better way to start off.

If you decide to hit the gym, my advice for a beginner would be to do a couple (maybe 3) muscle groups each time you go in (again so you get used to it and don't start to want to quit) as well as some crunches each day - 3 sets crunches until you can't go any more). You should make it simple enough, hitting the gym 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, for example. When you get there, hit up any cardio machine, go easy, and do it for around 10 minutes. Warm yourself up. Then, me personally, i'll do a full body stretch. After that, go lift your weights. Start light, and do around 3 sets for each muscle group, moving more weight on after each set. Depending on how fit you are, maybe try and make it so you don't go nuts. Meaning, at your heaviest set, make your last rep something you can do fully. After you are done your weights, go do your crunches, then hit a cardio machine again for 5 minutes. You may also want to stretch in between sets a little, or after you work a specific muscle group. I do both.

As you progress and learn (the internet or people you talk to) you will pick up more intermediate or advanced tips and you will find yourself doing things different than what I told you to do. That's for just starting out.

Very important though, do not push yourself too hard in the beginning. You DO NOT want to injure yourself. And whatever exercises you decide to do (look up an easy beginners workout on the internet that you like) MAKE SURE you do them CORRECTLY! If you don't, then you might very well injure yourself, and you don't want that.

Eating wise, make it stuff that's healthy and things that you can eat regularly without puking. Hit up skinless chicken a lot, fish, eggs (egg whites), and yes, vegetables. Make it broccoli, if you can. And do your best to have one or two at the most, cheat days, when you start. Again, I'm trying to make it simple enough for you. For snacks, have a handful of almonds, a spoonful of peanut butter, a protein shake. Things like that. And try to drink water at every meal. Except your cheat day, unless you still want to.

What about my stationary bike with aerobic action? Been a lazy fuck. Time to get back to it.
LoneGranger

Post by LoneGranger »

Da Stars. wrote:
Lone Granger wrote:You don't have to spend money on a gym at all. You could start by just going for daily walks, and doing crunches and situps. In fact, most people quit the gym (myself included a long time ago) so something very easy may be a better way to start off.

What about my stationary bike with aerobic action? Been a lazy fuck. Time to get back to it.
Anything is better than nothing. I say ya, if you can do it, do that. I still to this day do a stationary bike.
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

AlaskaHawks wrote:

1st set 10-12 reps
2nd set 8-10
3rd set 6-8
4th set 4-6/failure.

That's not really considered heavy though, what a strength coach would subscribe would be 85% max for 3-5 reps. This is where and athlete would work out.

What you are talking about is submaximal effort and is great for stimulating muscular hypertrophy and hence muscle size which does not mean strength. Muscle size is only half the equation. Neurological adaptation being the other half.

Right about know is where I like to flaunt the fact that I have a BS in Kinesiology, and am a certified CSCC and a DPT. All that being what it is, I am not a personal trainer.

The most fun and mentally stimulating lifts are olympic lifts and everyone should do them.
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

wailuaFC wrote:
AlaskaHawks wrote:

1st set 10-12 reps
2nd set 8-10
3rd set 6-8
4th set 4-6/failure.

I've always liked pyramid lifting but I was taught to go back up the pyramid

1st 10 reps
2nd 8
3rd 6
4th 4
5th 6
6th 8
7 10

Increase weight going up each set and decrease going down, the last set is a killer with short rest periods but it feels good to finish with success
Yeah, that's actually considered the worst way to workout. The problem with pyramids is they do not provide enough stimulus at any one intensity to benefit you much. What is also left out of your model is the intensity. When I say intensity I mean the % of 1 Rep Max. It should not vary by more than 10% if you are doing pyramids.
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

PhutureDynasty wrote:... I have some fitness questions. I'm also looking for advice.

I listed you all because you seem to talk about working out/going to the gym more than most on here so I assume you are versed in fitness (more so than I at least).

Apologies if I missed somebody. If anyone else is knowledgeable on this subject feel free to chime in. Open discussion is encouraged.

Finally found a gym that's suitable for my needs. It has most all equipment and is a reasonable monthly fee.

I am trying to lose some body fat and have small gains in muscle. I don't want to be jacked but more muscle and definition would be nice.

As of this morning I weigh 186 pounds and am 5'10''. I am 24 and admittedly not in the greatest shape although I'm not a slob either.

So, some questions:

- What should my routine at the gym consist of? Meaning when am I doing cardio and when am I lifting/working on muscle groups?

- How many days should I be going a week? (I am available Monday through Friday and am open to going all of those days as need be)

- How many calories a day should I be getting? Also, what is my diet consisting of? (I eat probably anything that I assume would be suggested. Not a huge fan of all vegetables but I can manage)

- Should I take any supplements? If so, which ones?

- I have kettlebells at my house too. Could that be added to the workout?

I realize these are a lot of questions so don't feel obligated to answer every one of them.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Articles or links with suggestions/advice is encouraged too if necessary. I'm open to reading so I know what to do and how to do it.

Thanks a lot fellas.

@vcsgrizzfan @LebronMonsterDunk @AlaskaHawks @dunkan5rings @Lone Granger @Wishbone @xxx
I would have some questions for you. Such as what kind of experience do you have with exercise/sports? What are your hobbies, what do you do for work?

Working out is wonderful but half the battle is what you eat. You don't need supplements but if I were to name one it would be fish oil. Yup, fish oil. You will do just fine on eating a well balanced diet.

Here are a couple of things you should do.

1. See a doctor and get bloodwork.
2. Find a calorie counting app and record your food intake for the next 30 days.

You want to start working out 3 days a week. Higher reps and lower weight. You just want to work on the form of the exercises at first. If lifting weights is your plan. You'll warm up by lifting lighter weights, no cardio is needed.

For the fat burn just walk for 45 minutes a day or whenever you get a chance.

I would want to know the answers to those questions from above before giving you a plan of any sort.