82%
Both are equal
No votes

Total votes: 11

PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Boxing or MMA?

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Personally I like MMA more but still enjoy boxing.

Favorite fighter was Hendo until he got old; dude had an iron chin and a vicious right hook (ask Michael Bisping).

Nowadays I'm a fan of the Irishman McGregor for his fighting style as well as hilarious antics and comments. Can't wait until he fights Aldo in December.

Overall I prefer MMA over boxing because of the variety of fighting styles and techniques allowed in comparison to boxing.

So, which do you prefer and why?

(Side note: Sucks LNS isn't here to chime in)
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Re: Boxing or MMA?

Post by Master Spade »

As of right now, MMA is better.

Why? Boxing is never on TV!! "Back in the Day" boxing was on TV all the time, especially on the weekends! Boxing ruled back then! I've heard that they finally realize this, and have plans to put boxing back on TV, so let's hope that helps make boxing get back to the Glory Years.

The other reason MMA is better is simple, when people want to see two fighters fight, the Match is made! While nothing is perfect, it sure beats the hell out of Boxing in this regard!

Favorite MMA fighter right now: Cane Velasquez! Hope he is back from the injury.
Last edited by Master Spade on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather DIE Standing on my Feet, than Live Life on my Knees!!
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Master Spade wrote:As of right now, MMA is better.

Why? Boxing is never on TV!! "Back in the Day" boxing was on TV all the time, especially on the weekends! Boxing ruled back then! I've heard that they finally realize this, and have plans to put boxing back on TV, so let's hope that helps make boxing get back to the Glory Years.

The other reason MMA is better is simple, when people want to see two fighters fight, the Match is made! While nothing is perfect, it sure beats the hell out of Boxing in this regard!

Favorite MMA fighter right now: Cane Velasquez! Hope he is back from the injury.
Velasquez is a beast. I didn't think JDS was going to lose for a while until Velasquez beat him in their third bout.

What'd you think of Lesnar's short stint with MMA?
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

I loved MMA back in the day with Pride. Fedor was my favorite fighter. As I got older and when Pride had merged into the UFC, I stopped watching it regularly. I would catch GSP fight whenever he was fighting. I was never a fan of Anderson but he was fun, Machida was awesome too. As for fighters now, Weidman is a great fighter but fairly dull personality, the fight with Rockhold will be interesting. I don't like McGregor, I think he is a gimmick and I hope Aldo whips his ass. I never liked Jones, always found him to be a phony but he's gonna be away for a bit of time, at least till the end of the year.

I have always enjoyed boxing over MMA, at least in major fights. I am excited to see Canelo v Cotto later this year. Boxing has a much more rich history and will have that mystique about it. MMA fad has had highs and lows, now its on the up again because of Rousey and McGregor but it will eventually come down when these 2 go down.

I've always liked all types of fighting though. From ISKA, Glory Kickboxing, anything that had a combative nature, I tuned in.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Madnessssss wrote:Only recently got into MMA and already like it better. Seeing someone getting repeatedly elbowed in the face while down and trying to stay conscious is visceral. Still like boxing though, and it won't be replaced or go away. It's just a different sport, and not true fighting. I've seen bloodbaths in MMA. Blood gushing everywhere and the fighter still going, and winning. I don't have a favorite fighter yet as I'm still new to it.
I totally agree. Boxing is very entertaining in its own regard but it's a one trick pony compared to MMA. Still enjoyed the hype going into Floyd Pacquiao and unlike most I enjoyed their fight.

McGregor is tough not to like in my eyes (I'm sure you've seen him). Him versus Aldo should be very solid, both are great strikers known for their ability to finish fights and I can't see their fight being any different.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

thatoothpick45 wrote:I loved MMA back in the day with Pride. Fedor was my favorite fighter. As I got older and when Pride had merged into the UFC, I stopped watching it regularly. I would catch GSP fight whenever he was fighting. I was never a fan of Anderson but he was fun, Machida was awesome too. As for fighters now, Weidman is a great fighter but fairly dull personality, the fight with Rockhold will be interesting. I don't like McGregor, I think he is a gimmick and I hope Aldo whips his ass. I never liked Jones, always found him to be a phony but he's gonna be away for a bit of time, at least till the end of the year.

I have always enjoyed boxing over MMA, at least in major fights. I am excited to see Canelo v Cotto later this year. Boxing has a much more rich history and will have that mystique about it. MMA fad has had highs and lows, now its on the up again because of Rousey and McGregor but it will eventually come down when these 2 go down.

I've always liked all types of fighting though. From ISKA, Glory Kickboxing, anything that had a combative nature, I tuned in.
Pride seemed like it was the shit. I've seen highlights of some old fights with a younger Rampage, Shogun, Nogueira*, etc.

The length of time and rules compared to the UFC today are crazy. The striking allowed on the ground was a thing to watch, very dangerous though.

Not sure where he fought but did Bas Ruten fight in pride? That guy cracks me up.
Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

PhutureDynasty wrote:

Velasquez is a beast. I didn't think JDS was going to lose for a while until Velasquez beat him in their third bout.

People, especially MMA fans, need to give him more credit.

Most people thought he would flop, and get Destroyed in MMA. Most thought it was just a Publicity stunt.

But, as he said, he Trained for a while even before making the decision of going to the UFC. He was training for all the health benefits at first, according to him. But while training, he said he thought to himself "hey, you know what, I think I could do this". And he did. Especially considering that everyone thought he'd get KO'd in seconds.

To bad he got hurt. Also, imagine if he has started his MMA career at a young age. Who knows what would of happened.

EDIT: I just looked up his record, and his first fight was against Min Soo Kim. Lesner won by KO. He then lost to Mir by submission.Next fight was against Heath Herring, which Lesner won by Unanimous Decision. After that is when these next fights happened:----- He beat Couture, Mir, and Carwin. The first 2 by KO. How old were those fighters when they fought?

Then he lost to Cain Velasquez in a KO. Cain destoyed him, but he destroys most of his opponents, so....
Last edited by Master Spade on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather DIE Standing on my Feet, than Live Life on my Knees!!
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

PhutureDynasty wrote:
thatoothpick45 wrote:I loved MMA back in the day with Pride. Fedor was my favorite fighter. As I got older and when Pride had merged into the UFC, I stopped watching it regularly. I would catch GSP fight whenever he was fighting. I was never a fan of Anderson but he was fun, Machida was awesome too. As for fighters now, Weidman is a great fighter but fairly dull personality, the fight with Rockhold will be interesting. I don't like McGregor, I think he is a gimmick and I hope Aldo whips his ass. I never liked Jones, always found him to be a phony but he's gonna be away for a bit of time, at least till the end of the year.

Pride seemed like it was the shit. I've seen highlights of some old fights with a younger Rampage, Shogun, Nogueira*, etc.

The length of time and rules compared to the UFC today are crazy. The striking allowed on the ground was a thing to watch, very dangerous though.

Not sure where he fought but did Bas Ruten fight in pride? That guy cracks me up.
Pride was a pure event man. Back then the mma was smaller so it was cool finding other fans and watching pride events at 2,3,4 in the morning. Pride didn't allow elbows, which was smart because they said it's easy to cut fighters and it ends the fights. The soccer kicks and stomps were epic. You had open weight tournaments, Cro Cop vs The Axe Murderer, some legendary fights. Pride was so popular they allowed Chuck to come in and fight in one of their tournaments. The UFC wasn't as popular and he rolled up with Dana. He knocked out Overeem but then got his ass handed to him by Rampage. Ask most mma fans who've been watching the sport for a while, they'll tell you the golden years of the sport was when Pride was around.

As for Bas, nah he never got in Pride, did commentating though. He fought a lot in Pancrase though. His fights with Frank Shamrock were fun to watch.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Master Spade wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:

People, especially MMA fans, need to give him more credit.

Most people thought he would flop, and get Destroyed in MMA. Most thought it was just a Publicity stunt.

But, as he said, he Trained for a while even before making the decision of going to the UFC. He was training for all the health benefits at first, according to him. But while training, he said he thought to himself "hey, you know what, I think I could do this". And he did. Especially considering that everyone thought he'd get KO'd in seconds.

To bad he got hurt. Also, imagine if he has started his MMA career at a young age. Who knows what would of happened.

I think he won his first 3 fights. He beat Couture, Mir, and Carwin. The first 2 by KO. How old were those fighters when they fought?

Then he lost to Cain Velasquez in a KO. Cain destoyed him, but he destroys most of his opponents, so....
Agreed on all terms with Brock. Dude was a renowned wrestler before joining the WWE or MMA. Had over 100 wins on the mat with like 5 losses.

Had he trained on his striking, ground game, and defense from day one while fighting MMA he'd have been a bigger beast than we see him today, which is saying something.

Still... I get a cheap smile out of watching him pulverize the WWE the occasional times I tune in (staged or not).
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

thatoothpick45 wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:

Pride was a pure event man. Back then the mma was smaller so it was cool finding other fans and watching pride events at 2,3,4 in the morning. Pride didn't allow elbows, which was smart because they said it's easy to cut fighters and it ends the fights. The soccer kicks and stomps were epic. You had open weight tournaments, Cro Cop vs The Axe Murderer, some legendary fights. Pride was so popular they allowed Chuck to come in and fight in one of their tournaments. The UFC wasn't as popular and he rolled up with Dana. He knocked out Overeem but then got his ass handed to him by Rampage. Ask most mma fans who've been watching the sport for a while, they'll tell you the golden years of the sport was when Pride was around.

As for Bas, nah he never got in Pride, did commentating though. He fought a lot in Pancrase though. His fights with Frank Shamrock were fun to watch.
Ok cool, thanks. You definitely know way more about it than I do. I didn't really even pay attention to MMA until the Iceman Ortiz UFC bouts in my teenage years. I thought anything went on the ground (short of eye gouging and biting) in Pride, you mentioning they didn't allow elbows actually surprised me.

I am always shocked to hear how young Shogun is today after seeing his highlights in Pride many years ago, he started so young. He's only like 32 and just fought little Nog at the most recent UFC PPV with Rousey as the headliner. They played on the Shogun Nog Pride fight as part of their pre-fight promo.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

PhutureDynasty wrote:
thatoothpick45 wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote: Pride seemed like it was the shit. I've seen highlights of some old fights with a younger Rampage, Shogun, Nogueira*, etc.

Ok cool, thanks. You definitely know way more about it than I do. I didn't really even pay attention to MMA until the Iceman Ortiz UFC bouts in my teenage years. I thought anything went on the ground (short of eye gouging and biting) in Pride, you mentioning they didn't allow elbows actually surprised me.

I am always shocked to hear how young Shogun is today after seeing his highlights in Pride many years ago, he started so young. He's only like 32 and just fought little Nog at the most recent UFC PPV with Rousey as the headliner. They played on the Shogun Nog Pride fight as part of their pre-fight promo.
Pride was meant for fighters. They punished wrestlers, the lay n pray method was penalized. If a wrestler took down a fighter and he didn't do any work, he'd get a verbal warning, if he continued it, he got a yellow, and continued to do so, he was expelled from the fight. You had to throw on the ground or go for a sub.

Plus the beauty of Pride was it was a ring. You didn't have a cage where a fighter can get stuck, a ring gave it a more natural fighting domain, much larger than a cage too.

I'd def say go and watch some of the Pride fights.
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

thatoothpick45 wrote:
PhutureDynasty wrote:
thatoothpick45 wrote:

Pride was meant for fighters. They punished wrestlers, the lay n pray method was penalized. If a wrestler took down a fighter and he didn't do any work, he'd get a verbal warning, if he continued it, he got a yellow, and continued to do so, he was expelled from the fight. You had to throw on the ground or go for a sub.

Plus the beauty of Pride was it was a ring. You didn't have a cage where a fighter can get stuck, a ring gave it a more natural fighting domain, much larger than a cage too.

I'd def say go and watch some of the Pride fights.
In my spare time I definitely will. Good looking out.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

Obviously I like MMA better, but I do appreciate boxing.

I also think MMA is one of those things that you appreciate more the more knowledgable you become about the sport, especially in the grappling aspects.

One thing though: MMA has some of the worst fans of any sport in terms of understanding their sport, analysis, appreciating talent, etc...
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
zombiesonics
Mount Rushmore

Post by zombiesonics »

Boxing = chess

MMA = checkers
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

How you gonna misspell your favorite fighters name?
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
Bush4Ever
Board Alpha Male

Post by Bush4Ever »

zombiesonics wrote:Boxing = chess

MMA = checkers
You have that backwards if anything.

Introducing more elements of fighting generally introduces an increase in complexity.
Taking a break from the board. Please reference my last post for more details if you are interested.
WeaponX20
All-Star

Post by WeaponX20 »

No split decision here.
Wishbone
Fantasy BBall Champ

Post by Wishbone »

I don't like either sport. Too violent and barbaric for me.

I just don't have the stomach for it anymore. I won't watch MMA for this. I don't want to see two humans attempt to kill each other, which is essentially what it is.
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

MMA mostly since I grew up watching it and have a couple buddies who are pros.

I respect boxing, outside of Mayweather, however.
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

I would say MMA because I have osmosized myself into the ADHD culture of today, but the only part of MMA I truly enjoy is when they stand up and throw. I guess naturally, I'm more of a boxing fan.

Checkers = MMA
Chess = Boxing

Thank you for letting me contribute to this thread, I enjoyed my post.