Just ordered some delivery..I got ripped off I think?

Talk about anything here.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Re: Just ordered some delivery..I got ripped off I think?

Post by ripper76 »

swampgator wrote:
ripper76 wrote:You should always tip the people who handle your food, and tip well unless there's a real problem. If it's someplace you order from regularly, they'll remember that. You'll get faster and better service for tipping well, or they'll fuck with your food if you're a poor tipper.

Always tip.
I'd agree with that in America. In east Asia though, nope.
Sure, depends on where you're at of course. Different rules for different cultures. When in Rome, as they say.
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

ripper76 wrote:
swampgator wrote:
ripper76 wrote:You should always tip the people who handle your food, and tip well unless there's a real problem. If it's someplace you order from regularly, they'll remember that. You'll get faster and better service for tipping well, or they'll fuck with your food if you're a poor tipper.

Always tip.
Sure, depends on where you're at of course. Different rules for different cultures. When in Rome, as they say.
Where I am now in the suburbs of Shanghai it doesn't happen, but when I lived downtown delivery drivers would show up asking for more than the total quoted on the phone.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Madnessssss wrote:How much were you going to tip? $4? You must be broke as fuck to be crying about an extra few dollars.
Its the princip of the matter...wasnt going to tip 9 bucks like I was forced to
Dipshit
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

rtiff68
Hall of Famer

Post by rtiff68 »

ripper76 wrote:
swampgator wrote:

Always tip.
Most of Europe is that way, as well-- tipping is definitely more of an American phenomenon. When I bartended in London, the way the locals "tipped" was they would offer to buy you a half pint in addition to their order. You would tally them up over the night (presumably choosing the same beer for the night-- that's what I always did), and then have your drinks after the pub closed while you were cleaning up.

I completely agree with you about tipping in America, though. I routinely over-tip on small checks (where it doesn't really hurt at all), and people definitely remember you. Tip $10.00 on a $20.00 check one time at a local joint, and they will remember you forever.
LeBronMonsterDunk
Clean-Up Crew

Post by LeBronMonsterDunk »

I guarantee Fat Tits never got his money back or even called like he said he would. Too scared to make a scene and too fat to do anything about it physically.
You never liked me, probably don't like me still, but a ***** liking me aint never paid my bills
lettherebehouse
Clean-Up Crew

Post by lettherebehouse »

LeBronMonsterDunk wrote:I guarantee Fat Tits never got his money back or even called like he said he would. Too scared to make a scene and too fat to do anything about it physically.

:haha2:
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

swampgator wrote:
ripper76 wrote:
swampgator wrote:
Where I am now in the suburbs of Shanghai it doesn't happen, but when I lived downtown delivery drivers would show up asking for more than the total quoted on the phone.
What are things like in East Asia in general as far as tips go? How does it differ from North America?
swampgator
All-Time Great

Post by swampgator »

ripper76 wrote:
swampgator wrote:
ripper76 wrote:
What are things like in East Asia in general as far as tips go? How does it differ from North America?
You don't tip. It's considered an offensive gesture somewhat. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people that will accept it.

If there is a spot that you go to frequently (especially if there is guanxi involved) they will take care of you regardless.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

I always overtip and always will but tipping based on the price of the food is still a ridiculous concept that makes no sense. If that dude got in his car and drove to your house and handed you a bag of $12 food and you give him $15 (25% tip)....but if that same dude drives the same distance and hands me one bag of food that costs $32 now I have to give $40 if I still want to tip 25%.

Same with being in the restaurant...you bring me one plate of food and one drink and my bill total is $10 and I give you a $2.50 tip. Now you bring my wife 1 drink and 1 plate of food and her total was $24 now I'm supposed to give you a $6 tip on that bill. Why, you did the exact same amount of work.
Titan18
In Theo we trust

Post by Titan18 »

manchild98 wrote:I always overtip and always will but tipping based on the price of the food is still a ridiculous concept that makes no sense. If that dude got in his car and drove to your house and handed you a bag of $12 food and you give him $15 (25% tip)....but if that same dude drives the same distance and hands me one bag of food that costs $32 now I have to give $40 if I still want to tip 25%.

Same with being in the restaurant...you bring me one plate of food and one drink and my bill total is $10 and I give you a $2.50 tip. Now you bring my wife 1 drink and 1 plate of food and her total was $24 now I'm supposed to give you a $6 tip on that bill. Why, you did the exact same amount of work.
I agree. A burger and fries costs 10 bucks. But a 10 oz filet mignon will run you much more. Both are the exact same amount of work for the server yet they get a much higher tip if you order the filet. But the actual cook gets the same shitty wage regardless of what you order. The chefs should get paid higher IMO.
ripper76

Post by ripper76 »

Titan18 wrote:
manchild98 wrote:I always overtip and always will but tipping based on the price of the food is still a ridiculous concept that makes no sense. If that dude got in his car and drove to your house and handed you a bag of $12 food and you give him $15 (25% tip)....but if that same dude drives the same distance and hands me one bag of food that costs $32 now I have to give $40 if I still want to tip 25%.

I agree. A burger and fries costs 10 bucks. But a 10 oz filet mignon will run you much more. Both are the exact same amount of work for the server yet they get a much higher tip if you order the filet. But the actual cook gets the same shitty wage regardless of what you order. The chefs should get paid higher IMO.
I'm sure that on the whole, a chef that works at a place serving filet mignon will make more than a chef working at a place that just makes burgers. The chefs at a nice restaurant are making a lot more than the guys at McDonald's. Higher end places will attract better workers and pay them more, because the customers expect and demand it.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

No pictures of the food?
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

thatoothpick45 wrote:No pictures of the food?
Nope
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"