Do any of you like the Mission Impossible movies?

Talk about anything here.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Do any of you like the Mission Impossible movies?

Post by Kingcarl24 »

I feel like they're movies I never think of when talking about action movies but I always enjoy them when I watch them.

Mission Impossible 1: Was great although the plot was a little unnecessarily confusing. The suspense in the computer room with Tom Cruise dangling was awesome and created an iconic scene in movie history

Mission Impossible 2: Probably the weakest in the series. Way too much John Woo. The fights scenes were too dramatic and slow motiony (if that's a word). Not a terrible flick but not a great one either.

Mission Impossible 3: JJ Abrams takes the helm and does a decent job of getting the series back on track but focused on some really unnecessary plot points instead of stuff we really cared about. They left huge plot holes and thought they could tie up the series in a neat little bow (what the hell is the rabbit's foot). They tried too hard to focus on the characters instead of the actual mission. They also got lost at some times (Why did they make it seem Ethan Hunt had a relationship with Keri Russell's character but then never talk about it again?). Also, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a terrific villain.

Mission Impossible 4: Fun movie all around with great action sequences. They dumped the serious tone and went for a lighter, funnier film. This is probably my 2nd favorite behind the first. I thought the ending was a little stupid with the older, pudgy bad guy given the super top secret agent a go in a hand to hand fight.

I'm hoping the new one opening tonight falls in line. I haven't checked rottentomatoes so I don't know how the critics are scoring it. Watching Tom Cruise dangle outside of an airplane taking off might be kind of fun to watch.
Johnnyblazzed
Hall of Famer

Re: Do any of you like the Mission Impossible movies?

Post by Johnnyblazzed »

Kingcarl24 wrote:I feel like they're movies I never think of when talking about action movies but I always enjoy them when I watch them.

Mission Impossible 1: Was great although the plot was a little unnecessarily confusing. The suspense in the computer room with Tom Cruise dangling was awesome and created an iconic scene in movie history

Mission Impossible 2: Probably the weakest in the series. Way too much John Woo. The fights scenes were too dramatic and slow motiony (if that's a word). Not a terrible flick but not a great one either.

Mission Impossible 3: JJ Abrams takes the helm and does a decent job of getting the series back on track but focused on some really unnecessary plot points instead of stuff we really cared about. They left huge plot holes and thought they could tie up the series in a neat little bow (what the hell is the rabbit's foot). They tried too hard to focus on the characters instead of the actual mission. They also got lost at some times (Why did they make it seem Ethan Hunt had a relationship with Keri Russell's character but then never talk about it again?). Also, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a terrific villain.

Mission Impossible 4: Fun movie all around with great action sequences. They dumped the serious tone and went for a lighter, funnier film. This is probably my 2nd favorite behind the first. I thought the ending was a little stupid with the older, pudgy bad guy given the super top secret agent a go in a hand to hand fight.

I'm hoping the new one opening tonight falls in line. I haven't checked rottentomatoes so I don't know how the critics are scoring it. Watching Tom Cruise dangle outside of an airplane taking off might be kind of fun to watch.

Basically my sediments to a "T". Loved 1, really liked 4, 3 was good, 2 was terrible.

I'll prolly watch the new one come Tuesday.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

I'm not sure I've seen them all or which movie came in what order. That said I do enjoy them...very well made and entertaining and usually a great cast and substory
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

I think I've only seen the first one. It was decent. Tom Cruise is usually pretty good in almost anything.
Macrotus
Hall of Famer

Post by Macrotus »

They all are pretty entertaining...much like most modern Bond movies. But nothing really stand out imo.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

elartman1973 wrote:I'm not sure I've seen them all or which movie came in what order. That said I do enjoy them...very well made and entertaining and usually a great cast and substory

Did you ever watch the TV back in the day? My mom and I always watched them together and I loved them. Still have great memories of that.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

ripper76 wrote:I think I've only seen the first one. It was decent. Tom Cruise is usually pretty good in almost anything.
It's too bad his off screen actions have distracted everyone from how great of an actor the guy really is.
ripper76
Accounts will be settled.

Post by ripper76 »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
ripper76 wrote:I think I've only seen the first one. It was decent. Tom Cruise is usually pretty good in almost anything.
It's too bad his off screen actions have distracted everyone from how great of an actor the guy really is.
I really don't worry too much about what any actors or actresses do off screen. If they're good at their jobs then that's the extent of my interest in them.
Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

ripper76 wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:
I really don't worry too much about what any actors or actresses do off screen. If they're good at their jobs then that's the extent of my interest in them.
That's how I feel about professional athletes.
elartman1973
El Padrino

Post by elartman1973 »

Kingcarl24 wrote:
elartman1973 wrote:I'm not sure I've seen them all or which movie came in what order. That said I do enjoy them...very well made and entertaining and usually a great cast and substory

Did you ever watch the TV back in the day? My mom and I always watched them together and I loved them. Still have great memories of that.
Never watched the tv show
"I'm drivin Caddy, you fixin a FORD"

Kingcarl24
G.O.A.T.

Post by Kingcarl24 »

elartman1973 wrote:
Kingcarl24 wrote:

Never watched the tv show

I'm sure it terribly dated now but back then it was awesome.
manchild98
Hidden Member

Post by manchild98 »

I'm with you. On the surface it seems very ho-hum and not something that excites me to go and see...and then I see them and I'm entertained. I'll go see this one as well.
Last edited by manchild98 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
876Stephen
Fantasy Football Champ

Post by 876Stephen »

Saw a 10:15 showing of rogue nation last night in Imax. It was fantastic. I love mission impossible, and even tho Tom cruise is a crazy fuck, he makes great movies.
Shill Jackson
Mount Rushmore

Post by Shill Jackson »

Madnessssss wrote:Tom Cruise deserted his children for Scientology
I thought he kept the adopted ones?

Like Carl, not my favorites, but generally an entertaining waste of a couple of hours.
Gotta confess I thought this new one was #4.
"Educated people make the world a better place, they mercilessly attack misery and cruelty, and eventually they win."
--Henry Rollins

**zombiesonics is a feckless cunt!**
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I've seen 3 of 4 so far (missed #2) and I've never regretted it. I leave feeling entertained.
thatoothpick45
All-Time Great

Post by thatoothpick45 »

Last one with PSH was good.